The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Help: Helmet Microphone cover
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:24 am 

Hi all,

Im sure this has come up before but what is used for Hudson's helmet microphone cover?

It sure doesn't look like foam, more like thread, and I could use advise where/what to look for in getting the same.

Thank you!

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
I don't know exactly what was used on-screen, but I took a black childs mitten and cut one of the fingers off and shortened it down till it fit over the mic. Looks pretty close to what's on screen for me. :)

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject: Re: Help: Helmet Microphone cover
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.02132E1
Try looklng for braid Hose that’s what is used on car cables,you can find it in many different colors sizes,

That works just fine for me,hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:28 pm 

Thank you guys!

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject: Re: Help: Helmet Microphone cover
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.02132E1
Or you can also use a tube cover from a hydration bladder like from camelback and turn it inside out becouse there always black on the inside and they fray at the ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 pm 

Golden advice. This forum is awesome. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 am 

Most accurate looking item I've found?........I rectangle of old black T-shirt superglued to the MIC.

Post subject: Oo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:34 am 

Great idea Nick! Don't know if I could superglue it to my Beyer though :-D Could tape it on the hidden side I suppose!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
Double sided tape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:12 am 

Yeah could do. I've been keeping an eye out on felt tip pens that have grips too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:45 pm 

maybe one or two layers of heatshrink tubing, keeps the water out of the mic also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm 

Just wanted to share the options I went with, maybe give everyone a few new (and cheap) ideas.

The first was a sheet of felt that I got at a local kids art supply store. Worked quite well. Gave good texture. Cost: 50 cent.

The second idea I had worked a lot better I feel. 1 inch sports injury muscle tape! Has great linear horizontal pattern and is adhesive! Cost: 2 euro for a roll from China.

Photo attached (with flash on to show textures of materials)

20180429_123020.jpg
20180429_123020.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 2575 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm 

injury tape is a great idea!