The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: [FORUM TUTORIAL]: How to Upload Images Directly to AL Forum
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Some people may not know how to upload images directly to the forum, so they upload and link to a 3rd party image hosting site instead such as "Photobucket", "Imgur", "Flickr", etc. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way if that's what you prefer, but as the board continues to grow and more information comes in, one must consider the longevity of images hosted this way. Oftentimes, image links become "broken" over time for various reasons and suddenly people viewing our lovely forum can no longer see the images you posted. This is why it is greatly appreciated if people upload images directly to the forum, where they will remain on the board server until they are removed by the poster or administrator.

A perfect example is the current situation of the Archives section of the forum containing dead/broken images that were once very important discoveries.

The goal of this thread is to show users how to upload images or files (such as .pdf , .txt , .docx , .ttf) directly to the board.

On a computer:

First, you will want to click either "NEW TOPIC", "ADD REPLY" or if you are using the Quick Reply field at the bottom of a thread, "Full Editor". You will not lose the message you have started to compose in the Quick Reply text box, so don't worry!

Next, on the bottom of the "Message Body" field you will see an area like this labeled "Upload attachment":

Attachment:
AL Upload Attachment Field Highlighted.jpg
AL Upload Attachment Field Highlighted.jpg [ 234.58 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

1) Click on the grey "Choose File" button in the "Filename" field. Then select your file from your PC in the pop up window and click "Open".
2) Next, click on the "Add the file" button just below and to the right. Your browser should open a small pop-up window that shows the progress of the upload. Depending on the file size, it will stay up longer. Just ignore this, it will close automatically when it is finished.

Uploading progress pop-up example:

Attachment:
AL Uploading Progress pop-up.jpg
AL Uploading Progress pop-up.jpg [ 35.48 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

You can choose to add comments for each file you upload in their respective "File comment" text box but it's optional.

Note: Currently you can only upload 5 files under 2mb each to each post or private message. Follow these steps for each file as you can only add one file at a time. Most ".jpeg" files tend to stay within the maximum 2mb file size limit, so if you have large photos, use ".jpeg" files over ".png" files. You can see your attachments in the "Posted attachments" field below the "Upload attachment" field.

If you would like to feature your attached files in a particular order within your message body, you can use the "Place inline" feature below the "Message body" field in the new "Attachments" field directly below it:

Attachment:
AL Place inline Feature.jpg
AL Place inline Feature.jpg [ 217.67 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Select one of your attachments from the drop down menu and then click the "Place inline" button to the right. This will input the appropriate file "code" wherever your cursor/insertion point indicator is currently blinking in your message body.

Additionally, these same steps also work on smartphones and other mobile devices! :D

Happy posting! :delta:

Ask about your Armour stencils/Nostromo stencils - Worldwide shipping! Send me a Private Message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Awesome. Lets 'sticky' this sucker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
As there are quite a few sticky topics in the Ready Line section can I suggest that this one is put in the archives perhaps?

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 am 
Mobile Mayhem

I don't think there's much traffic in the Archive section, at least on the Ready Line it can be one of the first things new members see. Perhaps a "Recruit Academy" subforum? Moving it to the Archives will lock the thread and those who may have issues may get frustrated if they can't share their experiences. At least here somebody can chime in to help

Ask about your Armour stencils/Nostromo stencils - Worldwide shipping! Send me a Private Message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:08 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Ah good points there Moosh. Maybe a sub-forum could be the way to go to avoid a whole first page of stickied topics.

Harry

Post subject: Re: [FORUM TUTORIAL]: How to Upload Images Directly to AL Fo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:48 am 

So this is how it works, I am actually converting an image to Post Images then get the URL. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.32154E1
I'm glad this topic is up!
I don't seem to have any issues uploading pictures if it's being published on the board, from my tablet for example.
I am having a hard time uploading a pic for my profile. Whenever I try, the system keeps telling me the picture is too large to fit.
I'm not sure how to scale a picture from my computer and tablets media folder for my profile to be fit for my profile. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:26 am 
Mobile Mayhem

catling wrote:
I'm glad this topic is up!
I don't seem to have any issues uploading pictures if it's being published on the board, from my tablet for example.
I am having a hard time uploading a pic for my profile. Whenever I try, the system keeps telling me the picture is too large to fit.
I'm not sure how to scale a picture from my computer and tablets media folder for my profile to be fit for my profile. What am I doing wrong?

The avatar requirements are 125 pixels by 125 pixels max. To do this on a PC, open desired image with Paint program, select your desired squarish area with the selection tool, copy it, open a fresh Paint document, paste, then resize by pixel size and type 125 in the field, save and upload.

If there's interest I can make another tutorial for Avatars. Mods, perhaps a Ready Line Subforum for new members can house these tutorials, the forum rules and Introduction thread?