The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 pm 
Smoking or non smoking?

T bar to follow.

Post subject: Re: 1:18 scale M557 APC scratch-build
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:36 pm 
Mercenary

Very impressive amount of skill...!
I like it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 am 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
Love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 pm 
Thanks guys. :)

I know the seats look a little wide compared to the full-scale set but I have to err on the side of caution until I know how wide the official figures are.

These two seats are a test guide to see how they look in situ. I'll concentrate on other areas until I have better info (and a figure or two).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Which figures are you planning on manning it....the old Hot Toys or the new HIYA figures?

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:16 pm 
Dropshipbob wrote:
Which figures are you planning on manning it....the old Hot Toys or the new HIYA figures?

I'm hopefully getting a couple of the old Hot Toys series to try out. It probably won't matter which I choose in the end since there'll be some customising needed on almost all of them to represent the full crew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:59 pm 
As I work through builds like this and gather reference I'm constantly amazed when I dig up new facts like the following:

The donor vehicle for the APC, the ATT77, was manufactured in Hunslet, Leeds (UK). I was born in Leeds and lived a couple of miles away from that facility. When I was growing up in the sixties and seventies my father was a contract steel fabricator working in that area and may well have worked on that vehicle. Sadly he passed away decades ago so I'll never know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:01 pm 
Well, I got a couple of Hiya Toys 1:18 scale Colonial Marines from my son for my birthday so here's Hicks!

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."

"Somebody wake up Hicks."

Sadly Hudson had to be returned to medical - his right leg won't attach properly. Hopefully he'll be back with us soon.

Overall these guys are 'OK'. I actually think I can do at least as good (and definitely more robust) figures using existing 3.75 in (1:18) custom jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
Heck yeah!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

What's the rating on those seat springs? Are those screen accurate? :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:04 pm 
Red_2 wrote:
What's the rating on those seat springs? Are those screen accurate? :P

Hah - yeah, I always thought they looked a little 'iffy' but they're definitely legit. I'm torn between being faithful to the set and compromising with some kind of better looking piston/dampener instead. We'll see which way it goes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 pm 
Looks like Hiya Toys are shipping their APCs if this pic from their FaceBook page is correct!

I'd better get cracking with mine. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:55 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Is there a higher res version of this photo so we can see if the writing on the boxes say something to that effect?

It's a boot!"

III drops

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 pm 
Dropshipbob wrote:
Is there a higher res version of this photo so we can see if the writing on the boxes say something to that effect?

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier Bob,

This is the highest res I could find. It does include the text from Hiya Toys though. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 am 
Okay, time for an update. I've bought and built a new 3d printer to help with some of the trickier assemblies like the wheels. I'll hopefully get stuck in to some progress this weekend.

Here's the printer.

.. and a test print - looks pretty good.

.. and an APC wheel prepared in Cura. I'll add the hub cover and detail with styrene.

Finally here's a test wheel printed at roughly 50% scale - sat on a 1:18 scale card mock-up wheel. It's 'OK' but I'll work on the print file a little before trying one at 1:18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 am 
I did a little work this morning - doing some of the repetitive stuff while I'm not quite awake.

I've had a 2-seat sub-assembly fairly complete for a while now so it was time to make a start on the other 2-set and the 4 seater benches.

The Dremel setup is really handy for sanding profiles on seat cushions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:46 pm 
Today's bit of work - adding seat-springs and handrails.

So many handrails.

'Pack 'em in, marines'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm 
I added a wire loop at the top of each seat and threw some primer on to see how they looked (more of a morale booster really). Size in proportion to a generic 1:18 figure looks good.

Gorman's console (and the other major pieces) will be removable like this for ease of painting, lighting etc and to check fitment. I'm just trying out desk height here and checking that I have enough space for lighting.

So, this is where I'm at as of now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:07 pm 
I printed my first 1:18 scale wheel.

I knew the top face wouldn't be finished well enough for me - that's just the FDM process, so I cut a disc in thin styrene sheet and applied a 3d print of the hub detail onto that. With a little filler-primer and sanding it'll look fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:01 pm 

Dope!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am 

This is terrific and I love what you are doing with it. I know Dayton Allen was also making a similar build, but I don't know what the status is. Are you going to be adding the 'gunner' seat behind the driver seat?
Great work and I like the sketches on the wall too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:54 pm 

looking great. welcome to the wonderful world of 3d printing :)

looks like you have the finishing for the wheels sorted but there are tons of 3d print finishing movies on youtube that might be helpful to you if you are interested. I personally love punished props movies such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it4TtlCp3I4

filler primer and sandpaper is your boring friend :)

look forward to seeing more

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 pm 
Space Jockey: Thanks! Dayton Allen has recently bought and reviewed the Hiya Toys APC. He said he still plans to finish his. Yes, I'm going to add the gunner's chair and hopefully add a full complement of personnell. Some of those sketches are very old - I've been at it for a while!

martinr1000: Thanks! I've been 3d printing for almost 4 years now. Funnily enough I follow Punished Props, Evil Ted and a host of others on Youtube etc. I hate filling/sanding but I know it HAS to be done. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 am 

Skiffy wrote:
martinr1000: Thanks! I've been 3d printing for almost 4 years now. Funnily enough I follow Punished Props, Evil Ted and a host of others on Youtube etc. I hate filling/sanding but I know it HAS to be done. :)

ah fair enough, cool. really nice looking prints. keep up the good work. are you going to be printing out things like the turrets and greeblies?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next