The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Marine build
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:00 am 

Ok, after sitting on the kit for EVER and having that horrid thing called life keep getting in the way, I got busy last week and started painting.

Heres the rundown:

Spat Armor
Spat PR
Spat Helmet
Spat VP70
Hard rubber martial arts training knife
Extra Spat parts to go with the gear.
Daniel Kim USCM nametape, and blank for my name.

I sewed a holster for the sidearm, cut from a original 80s vintage cotton laundry bag. I cant find mine but this one is identical to what I was issued.
Modified my Multicams (I cant afford Spats right now) to appear much more like the screen used BDUs as fas as the neckline, and took off the lower pockets from the coat.
I have downloaded the font file (Thank you for that by the way!) to have a mask cut so I can paint my helmet and chest.
I have big calves so I took the webbing Spat supplies off the calf armor and Ill restrap it with identical webbing I got online.

Still to do:

Weather armor after I apply the name. Im running paint tests right now to determine how I want to weather it. I'm a firm believer in testing before proceeding.
Build the PR. its next to the table and next on the hit parade.
Finish and paint the VP70 to my satisfaction.
Ill buy the multicam pans when I get paid Friday. One piece at a time, one paycheck at a time.
Ill buy boots at the same time. I have size 13Wide, (often 14Wide) feet so I pretty much take what I can get when it comes to boots.
Build up the sling for the PR. That will be a quick project.

Questions:

What is the name of the embroidered name tape font? My wife can embroider it on her machine if I can get the name of the font used (if it is known--it must be? ) I have looked all over the forum and searched but not come up with the name of the font used. I THINK this might be the NASA " "Worm" font.

Behind the scenes shots of Apone show the name tape about one half inch above the pocket, centered. Would you say this is correct?

What color helmet band is used
? I have white 3/8" elastic , which I will dye, Im just not convinced they were OD helmet bands. Apones' helmet is painted , with no band. ATM Im going with a painted helmet, until I put the cover on (Chefs', in hand) to go with my Spat BDUs (One day !). I do not want them to match...none of my hlmet covers ever matched my uniforms except the day I got my Kevlar cover and it was brand new vs my older uniforms.

Thanks for the input! i have photos to upload to the hosting site so I can get them loaded here.

Last edited by Velker Actual on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:03 am 

oh, BTW I used all Humbrol paint on the armor. I have been painting models for over forty years.

When I started I felt like I had never seen a paintbrush much less painted a model. Thanks to some really good input from the Grumpy Old Scale Modelers group on the book of many faces to sort that out for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 am 

I got to meet several of you at DragonCon and speak with you. Im really happy to have had that opportunity!

I wish I could have done the parade, but my plantar fascitis just wont let me do it anymore. I have always done the parade at the other end , with the Legion.

I am having trouble with getting any of the links to work, which annoys me because I have been in forums for twenty years (using PB...ive hosted to Imagur and Dropbox and neither set of links work for me here)

Here is a link to my build. I got my armor from Spat painted green and painted with Humbrol. The PR is Bess Brown. most of the patches are from Alchemy, but the flag is for a tactical plate carrier.
VP70 in a custom made holster made from a GI laundry bag, vintage boots which fit well and a working IR sight. I still need to make up my Racal from Spat.

https://imgur.com/a/ZveWr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Looking good! I did the exact same thing with a laundry bag. Yours turned out great!