The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Expanded universe & Artistic liberty build/gear? Post a pic!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I have seen bits and pieces scattered around and was hoping to get a bunch of pics in one place. Im curious to see who has created some custom gear, be it their own adaptation that 'just made sense' to them, or something from the 'expanded universe'.

I dont recall where, but I know Ive seen picatiny rails and grenade holding attachements for the pulse, for example. Also did anyone ever follow through with a 1:1 sniper rifle from the tech manual?

If you have something that is cool despite not exactly being 'screen accurate' I, for one, would love to see it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
I believe if you do some searching, you will find various costumes that are created as part of the EU.

As for the weapons too some have been created from the Tech manual to "logical" takes.

The PIG has been made by Kevin and a few others I believe.

The Sniper Rifle again Sidewinder and others have made.

M5 RPG again by others.

The M41-E1 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) has been made in a US and UK variants by several people.

We have Challenge coins, Dropship wings, MPs, DIs, etc.

As said just search and you will find these bad boys all around ;)

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

I did a shorty Pulse Rifle and Black Ops Marine Armor.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:40 pm 
THAT guy

Spatman wrote:
I did a shorty Pulse Rifle and Black Ops Marine Armor.

Im a big fan of that armor actually. I know 'browsing' doesn't help your bottom line, but I tend to scan your site a couple times a week and pretty much just drool...

Anyways, as for the 'search for it' suggestion; I was hoping this thread would be a better option for a couple reasons. I know/suspect some stuff exists, but I was hoping to see something new (I cant search for something that never occurred to me). Also stuff is scattered and I figured a little consolidation never hurt, right?. And last, maybe its my PC but some of the older stuff has pics that are no longer working. I'll def follow up on your suggestions and search those out in the meantime though. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

I was thinking about doing an Arctic version, but have no time. One of these days....

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Expanded universe & Artistic liberty build/gear? Post a
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:30 pm 

I have done this maintenance case for the PR case and added a data tag on the PR Case.

More detail in my current thread "Mostly Metal Pulse Rifle Build (lots of pics)"

Theres explanations for all the bits which to me are there for logical reasons and seem to fit.

I know they are not very exciting...but I like them and think the add detail and story to my case. As I said more story on the idea of the Maintenance case in my thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm 

Spatman wrote:
I was thinking about doing an Arctic version, but have no time. One of these days....

A weathered artic Pulse would look so good. Great Idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

I meant Arctic Armor, but an Arctic Pulse would be interesting. At some point I would love to make a civilian Pulse Rifle variant, as well as a Sniper and SAW variant.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Hicks27: it isn't boring when it's done so damn well!
Spat: Arctic sounds really interesting. More than just a paint job?
Bigbisont: I've seen some great EU stuff here. If I re-find things I'll link them here, how does that sound? For starters there's the flak vest instead of armor variant that a couple people have pulled off quite well. I'll see what I can find...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm 
Jack of Hearts

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.02158E1
While Val is based off a real weapon, she was still built as a fictional .50 caliber anti-materiel rifle for use by the USCM.

I never got around to making up a designation for the weapon type... I should get on that some day.

LCpl. Av "Spectre" Taylor
Long Range Infantry Support

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:52 pm 
noiD

Built this add on from a Benelli Mesa shell holder, fabricated a mounting plate for the PR to fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 pm 

Actually the last one was really tactical.

I have been thinking of producing some stuff myself but I'm working on another branch in the fan world so to say.

I do have a inquiry. I'm working on a small but very special project that is soon seeing the end of a tunnel. How would people like you, who love to piece things together, feel about being part of this little project?
Of course there is no money in it (yet) hence just for fun and you can keep all the props you do as props are only going to be used in stills. Due to distances we will keep this digital so to say. Pre-planned design notes are in progress so you can get off as cheap and easy as possible and of course you will have the freedom of speech concerning the details in the designs matters, after all its your hobby, Im just the project manager. And no its no big expensive things I'm asking for (yet, there can be some that needs some cosplay issues but that is not in the picture for the moment).

Thing is that I was planning for a long time to scrounge this forum for a small group professional volunteers who would like to have their happy faces seen in this production and help bring back Aliens to the market (in a completely new form) now when Prometheus is hooking new people. Production is of course dedicated to this site and Cameron but if my other contacts accept the proposition I'm working on, we might get some Fox rights and see this getting big. If not it will en up here for all to enjoy.

This message is just a feeler, we all have jobs and families so spare time is after dark. Also I'm afraid of it getting out of my hands (need a staff lol) but I will do the best to try to manage it piece by piece.

What do you say?

Jonsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Jonsey: your note is cryptic but very intriguing! Perhaps like me you were sad to see the Technical MAnual re-issued with no new material, knowing full well how much great stuff is out there (mostly right on this site) that could have been added. Are you thinking of a similar sort of "slice of life" look at the Colonial Marines with folks creating new gear to augment what we currently have seen? I'd certainly be interested in that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:48 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
I once made a CN20 nerve gas canister. There was an Aliens card game yewars back and oneof the cards had a picture of one. The main item they used for the photo was an old sonar bouy container.
I went with that, bought an old sonar bouy container from a military surplus shop and made up the rest. I found an old battery operated game timer at a science surplus in Chicago which was really cool. You pressed a big button and four LED's, one in each corner would slowly count down in "beeps" for one minute, as it got closer to zero, the beeps would get faster. I put that in there, made up some user instructions, spray painted it with military-like stencils and was done.

This was years ago, don't know where any pictures are, sold it to someone here and it got trashed during shipment. :(

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

That sounds awesome! Sorry it didn't survive...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:13 pm 
THAT guy

retrogarde wrote:
That sounds awesome! Sorry it didn't survive...

Very sad ending to that story, but dang that did sound like something else.

Great stuff overall so far guys. Truly professional looking stuff with no half-@$$ing it around here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 am 
BANNED USER

Service Number: BANNED-USER-2024
It's not much, but I did this so far: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10349

I'll add grenades and accessory cutouts later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
Jonsey: your note is cryptic but very intriguing! Perhaps like me you were sad to see the Technical MAnual re-issued with no new material, knowing full well how much great stuff is out there (mostly right on this site) that could have been added. Are you thinking of a similar sort of "slice of life" look at the Colonial Marines with folks creating new gear to augment what we currently have seen? I'd certainly be interested in that!

Technical manual was a very good idea and when I got mine “back then” I thought it was awesome. However years go by and agreeably it would need a face lift now when the PC have given us the power produce stuff that is close to life.

For my self I have reached a stage (on the project) where I little by little start to investigate different options of how to utilize all the experience that is out there, and with people who know their hobbies, to in the future apply it somehow to a fan work. Although fan works are carrying the reputation as fun things or cool, Im aiming for a slightly higher stake, close to production film design or docufiction as I refer it to. With simple means hopefully create a realistic look that is good enough to come from Afghanistan or Iraq were we all have troops stationed and that we all have seen in books, TV or on location.

As stated I want to bring the “Original” Camerons marines back, not as a computer game or B movie sequel, but the real smell of them and probably a little adventure that everyone would like. Project is in a kind of hush, hush, state as I still have to complete some prototype project copies that will decide if it get thumbs up or thumbs down by the men in suits :oops: . Thing is that there is still lots to be done and many factors that has to be taken account to. But once its on its legs I will seek out the proficients here as you deserve it and seeing this forum to be the most serious on the web of the subject.

My thought is to pull together a dozen people each doing what he does best and incorporate it all together for a final product (of course the dozen have to relay on a bunch of happy volunteers too as always on zero budget projects). Why do we all longing for it alone when we can do some nice stuff together?

/Jonsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9418&hilit=minigun

Still haven't built the bloody thing, but at least the authentic "speculative fiction" is there. :)

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:13 pm 
Chaplain

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.12155E1
I'm currently planning some kind of resperator/gasask/ anti face hunger device built out of a painters fume mask!

Does not help,
Does not clean,
Will have sex with anything!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 pm 
BANNED USER

CheifProfanity wrote:
anti face hunger device

Having seen the 1979 movie 'Alien', and how the face hugger broke through what looks like a 1" thick space helmet, I don't think that any humanly made "anti face hunger device" could work. But that's just me.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 pm 
Lifer

AaronHorrocks wrote:
Having seen the 1979 movie 'Alien', and how the face hugger broke through what looks like a 1" thick space helmet, I don't think that any humanly made "anti face hunger device" could work. But that's just me.

I kind of agree, however a space helmet certainly wasn't designed for that sort of thing-

And if a face hugger could crash through anything, Burke would have been dead a lot sooner as the hugger would have smashed through the stasis tube. So we know there is some limit to its capability.

I believe the A3 WY Commando's facemasks were supposed to be face hugger proof. Actually I don't know this for a fact, but an educated guess--- In a deleted scene (may never have been filmed at all) the A3 Commandos were accompanied by "handlers" who carried a prod that looked like a snake handler's capture device, and wore face masks with a wire shield. The word is it was supposed to be face hugger proof, so it isn't much of a stretch that the Commandos had anti-face hugger masks as well. Bit of a stretch but not impossible.

DAMMIT PAUL YA BEAT ME TO IT! :lol:

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:59 pm 
noiD

While on this topic, I have found the items on the Commandos left arm to be PFM-1 mine's. Burton has narrowed the search of the hand grenades on his chest to be tear gas :D .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:02 pm 
BANNED USER

SSgt Burton wrote:
And if a face hugger could crash through anything, Burke would have been dead a lot sooner as the hugger would have smashed through the stasis tube. So we know there is some limit to its capability.

Let's do a little physics experiment. Have someone punch you. Then, the two of you go into a pool, and have the same person punch you underwater. Once you're suspended in liquid, your ability to move and exert force is extremely limited.

And if on the other hand, the space helmet was melted, rather than broken... Let's say that the face huggers have some sort of way to ooze acid out of their skin to better get to a host... Then the acid would be diluted by the liquid. And furthermore due to glass being inert, the stasis jar couldn't be busted through. Metal, on the other hand, reacts quickly to any acid.

I've always thought that the gaurds/troopers/commandos in Alien 3 were more like wearing full-blown riot gear. They were, afterall, going to a prison planet full of very violent double-Ys. Masks and helmets that would protect the guys from any flying debris, and even flash bangs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:27 pm 
THAT guy

AaronHorrocks wrote:
SSgt Burton wrote:

And if on the other hand, the space helmet was melted, rather than broken... Let's say that the face huggers have some sort of way to ooze acid out of their skin to better get to a host... Then the acid would be diluted by the liquid. And furthermore due to glass being inert, the stasis jar couldn't be busted through. Metal, on the other hand, reacts quickly to any acid.

I've always thought that the gaurds/troopers/commandos in Alien 3 were more like wearing full-blown riot gear. They were, afterall, going to a prison planet full of very violent double-Ys. Masks and helmets that would protect the guys from any flying debris, and even flash bangs.

Valid points by all. I always sorta thought the facehugger melted through Kane's facemask as well. If that sucker had enough flying force to burst through the glass, then I sorta felt like there may be some damage to Kane's, well, face. Acid on glass to weaken, then get in, allows a nice relatively "gentle" landing.

But, the commando's in Alien 3 knew they were going after aliens. On that front I have to agree those masks were "facehugger" proof. They sent in their "all star squad" and I am inclined to believe the small prison population was not the primary threat. Besides, who said those masks were "just metal?". Isnt the marine armor described as some elaborate high tech composite? Im sure in the years since the marine armor was found to be useless, the corporation would have advanced gear/alloys to outfit their 'enforcers' by then.

(Which btw, did it piss anyone else off that the Predator's blade in the first AvP movie melted when he cut the tip of the alien tail off??? the books were pretty clear the predators had that acid thing figured out and coated their blades)

Anyways, back to topic. I fully believe an 'anti facehugger mask' is plausible and logical in the armory. I look forward to seeing a cool one.