The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Kenner Aliens Comics
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:40 am 
First to Die.

Service Number: A10/TQ2.0.72155E1
Probably a dumb question but were the mini comics from the figures ever collected and released as well probably a single full comic or an online digital version? Was reading the one with Necas Gorilla Alien and feeling nostalgia for my favorite toy line as a kid.

Post subject: Re: Kenner Aliens Comics
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Dark Horse Comics released everything under their omnibus volumes. Waiting to get my hands on aliens omnibus volume 2 which contains the USCM story line.

In my goings at conventions there is a bigger push for serial volumes, and monthly subscriptions for the stores. There has been some argument as to whether or not we will only see compilation books in the near future.

DC Comics Mexico or the one I bought from them in Guatemala, was a serial volume. They translate the series to Spanish and then re-release it.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 pm 

Dark Horse Comics released everything under their omnibus volumes. Waiting to get my hands on aliens omnibus volume 2 which contains the USCM story line.

In my goings at conventions there is a bigger push for serial volumes, and monthly subscriptions for the stores. There has been some argument as to whether or not we will only see compilation books in the near future.

DC Comics Mexico or the one I bought from them in Guatemala, was a serial volume. They translate the series to Spanish and then re-release it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am 
First to Die.

Any idea which omnibus volume to look for? I've flipped through what I thought was all of them and never noticed any of the stories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am 

A number of people have posted scans online over the years. Here's one of them (albeit it appears to be missing a few pages, most notably the rhino alien segments).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Oh man, those are TERRIBLE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
But the kids liked it?

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:19 pm 
First to Die.

Darn tooting the kids liked it, that is for the link that brought back a lot of nostalgia to my childhood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 pm 

Yeah, I love those crazy things. They were pretty much my first introduction to this fandom, after all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:40 am 
First to Die.

Me too Lifer me too. Still wish the cartoon would have happened

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 am 

The_BDK wrote:
Me too Lifer me too. Still wish the cartoon would have happened
Amen to that, man. I can hear the electric guitar riffs that the intro undoubtedly would have featured even now... :lol:

In retrospect, of course, there's really no telling if my parents would have actually allowed my seven-year-old self to tune in to the adventures of Corporal Hicks, Alien Face-Kicker, every Saturday morning, but then again, The Real Ghostbusters got a pass and that must have been easily as gruesome in its own way as anything Fox had planned for Operation: Aliens. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:35 pm 

There was also a set of trading cards with art by Denis Beauvais (who was illustrating the concurrent, and terrible, Dark Horse comics at the time) illustrating a short story set in the Kenner continuity, which is interesting for a number of reasons, including the use of the Kenner Apone's mechanical arm-brace as the support system for Bishop's giant minigun, and the Marines apparently being lead by an acid-scarred Sarah Connor. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Lifer wrote:
art by Denis Beauvais (who was illustrating the concurrent, and terrible, Dark Horse comics at the time)

Say what?? Those comics were mint! Aliens Book One and Two stand head and shoulders above any Alien film made after 1986. That was my intro to Aliens, not these goofy toys.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 am 

retrogarde wrote:
Say what?? Those comics were mint! Aliens Book One and Two stand head and shoulders above any Alien film made after 1986. That was my intro to Aliens, not these goofy toys.
As bad as they are, I think I'd still take the post-86 films over the Dark Horse comics. At least the former didn't make the USCM look like a bunch of useless jackasses completely incapable of dealing with these endless xenomorph hordes that were always conveniently springing up out of nowhere. It's like Dark Horse had H.G. Wells as their head writer or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:25 pm 

I collected the toys as a child in the 90's, but I don't remember the comics. That said, I had only seen "Aliens" once, and had no idea the marine figures were supposed to be the marines on film. I absolutely hate the liberties a toy company takes when making a toyline. Even as a kid, I never understood why Batman needed 2000 different suits. The marines in this toy line were a sad joke. I can't even read the comic because those characters ARE NOT marines!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:02 pm 

The_BDK wrote:
Any idea which omnibus volume to look for? I've flipped through what I thought was all of them and never noticed any of the stories

Aliens Omnibus Volume 2. That has the Colonial Marines Epic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm 
Mad Cat

I had at least one of each of the ALIENS toys, not as a kid, but as a collector. Some of the things were really off to me, like most of the alien crossbred creatures, but I picked them up any way.

Years later I sold the whole thing for a good little bit of change and kept the few figures I opened. I ended up giving all THAT to my son, except the Alien vs. Predator set. I LOVED that.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:41 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Those toys represent a real low point in merchandising for this series.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 am 

retrogarde wrote:
Those toys represent a real low point in merchandising for this series.

Yeah I remember when I was a kid and was like WTF? These have zero semblance to the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm 
Mad Cat

Well, when you consider the age these were aimed at, and how much earlier the movie came out in comparison to when they were born, the movie itself isn't the point. I doubt the demographic had even seen the movie.

Which also begs the question "why" they were making toys for a movie that was that old.

It's a boot!"

III drops

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:21 pm 

zombieinthehat wrote:
I collected the toys as a child in the 90's, but I don't remember the comics. That said, I had only seen "Aliens" once, and had no idea the marine figures were supposed to be the marines on film. I absolutely hate the liberties a toy company takes when making a toyline. Even as a kid, I never understood why Batman needed 2000 different suits. The marines in this toy line were a sad joke. I can't even read the comic because those characters ARE NOT marines!!
That's rather debatable. For one thing, they're far more competent than anyone in the standalone Dark Horse comics. :lol:

Dropshipbob wrote:
Well, when you consider the age these were aimed at, and how much earlier the movie came out in comparison to when they were born, the movie itself isn't the point. I doubt the demographic had even seen the movie.

Which also begs the question "why" they were making toys for a movie that was that old.
They weren't, actually. The Operation: Aliens cartoon and accompanying Kenner toys were precipitated by the production of Alien 3, which, plot-wise, was presumably still Marines-vs-Aliens focused when the licenses were being sought out.