The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Historical EU weapon, bad guy thread, now w/ planets& ships!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I would like to compile a list (with pictures!) of all the semi-cannon (most commonly video games, maybe novelizations or comics, but licensed nonetheless) weapons and enemies. (kenner toy line being the only license I specifically want to avoid :lol: )

With some, OK a LOT, of help, a new thread wont be necessary as this will hopefully achieve the goal. I will soon include the tech-manual stuff. It will be easy to compile the latest ACM stuff as its plentiful and everywhere.

What I am asking for help with is screen-caps and images of the stuff from the 'before time, the long long ago' :wink: \

You might call this an amalgamation of a couple topics on the forum now. I want to compile Ship names (from every novel, video game, or whatever). I want unique (non-pusle/flamethrower/smartgun) weapons from every video game (PC to gameboy and beyond). I want unique aliens (even though most hate the variants, did something out there feature anything besides a "warrior" and "queen"?). And perhaps most importantly, I am hoping for human "bad guys" (Weyland-Yutani Mercs/PMCs/Commandos are the obvious one, but did a licensed product I am not aware of feature another corp., company, or military?).

The goal is to get IMAGES to accompany this info. I will make it my next personal mission to compile it, but any help I can get on this thread would be greatly appreciated. I dont read as much as I used to, and wasnt really taking notes as I played my video games over the last 10 years, and I think this could be fun to compile.

Thanks guys and gals.

Last edited by bigbisont on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Awesome! Dark Horse had the Grant Corporation and the Chigusa Corporation. I'll see what I can scare up for visuals.

It is worth noting that nearly all of DH's comics at re set a minimum of ten years after Aliens, and in that time it would seem there were a ton of technological advances (i.e. comic artists like to draw crazy rayguns and sci fi armour). Just so you know...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 pm 
THAT guy

retrogarde wrote:
It is worth noting that nearly all of DH's comics at re set a minimum of ten years after Aliens, and in that time it would seem there were a ton of technological advances (i.e. comic artists like to draw crazy rayguns and sci fi armour). Just so you know...

Hey, if it was worthy enough to receive a name, I say its fair game to post. If it was a background or just crazy thing the artist invented that was never directly addressed, its probably safe to leave it off.

EDIT/UPDATE: Alright, I got some "work" done on this. This is the first real time I am kind of nervous about posting images here for copyright reasons but the way I see it I have a couple things going for this. Most of what I found is widely available online already (google searches produced the vast majority of the content), nothing I am posting is "hi res" or great quality (I heard wiki gets away with their images because they are all low-res?), and I am trying to give credit where its due if the image was a "work" of someone.

Unfortunately, I saw the "concept art" post link that Willie posted a while back was taken down by the host website for "legal reasons". This makes me a bit nervous about posting ACM stuff, but again, see above. I have not, and don't have any plans to actually scan my game guide. Anything A:CM is simply a screen shot that is already available online or from their own released promotional material. Hopefully I can get some screen grabs of the WeyYu guys later from actual game play at some point. For now I make due...

So in summery, if any legal guys see anything they feeel is a problem, let me know and I will take it down immediately!

Last edited by bigbisont on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Here are a couple I scanned awhile back:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retrogarde ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retrogarde ... otostream/

Post subject: Re: Historical EU weapon/bad guy thread (Weapons 1st! )
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm 
THAT guy

Not a TON of method to the madness at the moment, but I'm going for a semi-chronological order and it should be noted AvP2 was supposed to take place 50 years after Alien 3. So the AvP2 stuff is near the end in most cases but everything else will be a bit slapdash...

OK, first up is weapons!
*As a reminder, these weapons are generally NOT including the "Big 3" (Pulse Rifles, Smart Guns, and flamethrowers) and their variants, but some interesting ones have received notations. I hope to address the variants more completely later (which would also include community made variants).

Little Known "Aliens" actual weapons
Most here already know this, but maybe some newer/younger folk arent aware, these weapons ARE in the movie.

-SA80 (a whole rack of SA80s & M16s are in the armory. They are visible pre-hypersleep chambers opening and during Frost's weapons check)

-"Boom sticks" (I actually dont know their real or fictional name) These are harder to spot, but near the end as Ripley escapes the collapsing landing pad and climbs into the Drop Ship before Bishop speed away, she sprints past a whole rack of these on her way to her seat to brace for detonation.

Tech Manual

-M4A3 Service Pistol (Vasquez's S&W M39 is often mistaken for this weapon, but they are not the same)

-VP70 (no pic here, but its clearly a VP70 and they call it a VP-70)

-M42A Scoped Rifle

-M83A2 SADAR

-M112 HIMAT Anti-tank mortar

-M5 bounding mine

-M5 Rocket Propelled Grenade launcher

-M78 Phased Plasma Infantry Gun (“PIG”)

Aliens: Colonial Marines

-Armat M4A3 Service Pistol

-Armat M4RA Battle Rifle

-Armat M37A2 Shotgun

-WY Mk221 Tactical Shogtun

-Armat M39 Sub machine gun

-M5 Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher *Note same name, but different design as Tech manual
(Profile shot needed. VERY different look despite same name as RPG in tech manual)

-WY 88 MOD4 Combat Pistol (a VP70, but not called that by name unlike the Tech manual)

-WY NSG 23 Assault Rifle

-XM99A Plasma Pulse Rifle (better pic needed)

-”Sonic Electronic Ball breakers” (…ugh…,not pictured. Similar to the M5 ‘bounding mine’ in tech manual that launches near waist high before detonating, but it uses electricity rather than traditional explosives).

-S.H.A.R.P stick… (...double ugh….not pictured. exploding harpoon gun).

Aliens Vs. Predator 2010 (aka AvP3, aka "the Rebellion one")

In addition to the “big 3” (which its interesting to note they call the Pulse the “M41A2”, and the Smartgun the “M59B”…implying they are newer replacement weapons) we are introduced to:

-VP78 Pistol (looks like a Berretta, but based on name, it implies it the newer replacement of the VP70)

-M42C scoped rifle (presumably replacement of M42A in tech manual)

-M260B Flame thrower (presumably newer replacement of M240 flame thrower)
-ZX-76 Shotgun

AvP2 (sierra)

MissMorph’s compilation image of all AvP2 weapons shows, in addition to the ‘big 3’, the following marine weapons:

-M4A4 pistol, grenade launcher, Sniper rifle (Scoped Rifle), minigun, SADAR, and “Skeeter” rocket launcher

-Here are is a nice reference to see how the weapons compare (in appearance) between AvP1 and AvP2 . http://www.angelfire.com/pro/avp/marine.html

-The pistol is called the “M4A4 pistol”, presumably making it the newer version of M4A3 listed in tech manual.

-For some more cool info on the M90A3 ‘minigun’ see Russ Krook’s thread (includes some fan fiction and more pics). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9418&hilit=m90a3

-The “Exo Suit” (basically a weaponized power loader)

For a really great page with lots of "real world inspiration" comparison pics, see this link
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator_2

Better pictures and comic/graphic novel weapons welcome! Tomorrow I will try and tackle the human 'bad guy' forces and maaaybe variant aliens.

Last edited by bigbisont on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
That armored power loader looks pretty intimidating until you realize all it would take is a nicely placed headshot and that fancy tin can is gong down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 am 
DC DMZ Veteran '99

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.02135E1
ARWEN 37 - Anti Riot Weapon ENfield! You can actually make out the words ENFIELD ENGLAND on the stock in the first pic.

Quote:
The ARWEN 37 is a non-lethal launcher which fires 37 mm non-lethal rounds (foam or wooden or tear gas payload) designed for riot control. It has a 5-round rotary drum magazine. "ARWEN" is an acronym for "Anti Riot Weapon ENfield".
It was designed in 1977 by the British Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) Enfield, then part of the Royal Ordnance Factories. It came out of a British Military request for a multi-shot riot control weapon to replace the single-shot Federal Riot Gun. Three prototypes were designed and tested: one semi-automatic, one rotary-drum, and one pump-action. At the end of testing the rotary-drum model was put into production. The case has a rebated rim, so although the projectiles are comparable with other 37mm riot control weapons, the loaded rounds are quite different.[1]
As of 2001, all ARWEN trademarks and patents are owned by Police Ordnance Company Inc. The weapon is manufactured under license in Canada.
bigbisont wrote:
-"Boom sticks" (I actually dont know their real or fictional name) These are harder to spot, but near the end as Ripley escapes the collapsing landing pad and climbs into the Drop Ship before Bishop speed away, she sprints past a whole rack of these on her way to her seat to brace for detonation.

Winch

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow I shall fear no evil for thou art with me. And together we'll kick ANY bugs ASS!" :twisted:
You know who you are! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:45 pm 
THAT guy

Thanks Winch!

So a super short installment here will be the alien varients. Naturally the base “warrior” and “Queen” are the staples. The variation in appearance from the movies often lead to ‘tweaks’ to the ideas breaking them up into ‘Warriors’, ‘drones’, ‘runners’, ‘lurkers’, etc. which I don't have the energy to try and seperate them all. If anyone else wants to dig deep then please feel free.

I am really just posting these 2 because they have appeared in several forms and/or have a fleshed out back story.

Praetorian
According to notes found around the levels in AvP 2 (I didnt read them all personally, but this is what I dug up online), the “Praetorian” alien is some kind of cross between a “Royal Guard”/Elite troop of the queen, and possibly a queen themselves. It seems if/when the queen dies, the most capable of Praetorians develops into a queen to take her place and/or they venture out when the hive is full to start their own colony (also becoming a queen themselves in that case). Or at least so says AvP2!…

Predalien
Love it or hate it, its a staple if your a fan of the idea aliens and predators exist in the same universe.

Appearing in AvP

AvP2

AvP3 (rebellion)Image

And the AvP2 Movie (cringe worthy story element, but looked cool at least)

So yeah, if anyone wants to tackle other variants or please go ahead.

Post subject: Re: Historical EU weapon/ and bad guy thread (including huma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 pm 
THAT guy

I know I've been saying it for days, but I would REALLY love to see more from this, the human element. I have slapped together what I could find but I know there is more out there and will keep looking.

On to human bad guys!

Alien 3

-Weyland Yutani Commandos and Scientists

And a nice "Team Photo"!

AvP3 (rebellion)

-WY Security Gaurds

-Weyland Yutani Scientists

-Weyland Yutani "Battle/Combat" Droids.

AvP2

-Weyland Yutani PMCs/Private Army
Image.
Weyland Yutani Primary security (blue outfits)

-Weyland Yutani Containment troops (possibly the 'convict laborers' referred to throughout the game. Would explain the orange outfits).

The "Hazmat Troopers" (with clear Alien 3 commando inspiration)

"Battle Androids"

Concept art

"General Raykov" has the title "Director of Corperate Forces"

-"Iron Bear" Mercenaries (hired by WY)

Below are Dunya, Ivan, Dmitri and I think a typical Iron bear trooper.

Alien: Resurrection

(Need Pics for everything)

-The "United Systems Military" and their scientists are the ambitious human foes

-Common dirty old, shady, civilian stealing mercenaries are the guys that end up helping Ripley, but are still not exactly "good guys"...

Last edited by bigbisont on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 pm 
Lifer

Some other Alien 3 Weyland Yutani baddies...

ImageImage

These guys never made it into the final cut (I don't think they are even in a deleted scene, however it's been a while since I've watched the A3 extras).

Anyway they have come to be known as the "Dog handlers" or "Wranglers." Their face masks and equipment suggests they would specialize in "catching" face-huggers, chestbursters (Chestburster-busters? :lol: ) or perhaps the dog-burster before it grew to complete proportions.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 am 

Thanks for all the pics . Very cool stuff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am 
Duke Bronson

Oh, I don't think the SADAR is a little known weapon... everyone knows I have one.

http://www.pbase.com/sharpuscm/m83a2_sadar

Uh-oh...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm 
THAT guy

SFC Baldwin wrote:
Oh, I don't think the SADAR is a little known weapon... everyone knows I have one.

You know, somehow I didnt know! That's awesome though.

Also that reminds me to reminding anyone with interest in the "PIG" to check out Burton's cool and well done setup (complete with drama!)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6898

SSgt Burton wrote:
Some other Alien 3 Weyland Yutani baddies...
Anyway they have come to be known as the "Dog handlers" or "Wranglers." Their face masks and equipment suggests they would specialize in "catching" face-huggers, chestbursters (Chestburster-busters? :lol: ) or perhaps the dog-burster before it grew to complete proportions.

Kevin

Thanks for those! I have often read about these guys (mostly references on this site) but never actually saw the pictures. Great add!

MattRendar wrote:
Thanks for all the pics . Very cool stuff

I'm still trying to get even more! I am finding that I am really liking the latest WY PMCs. Not so much the "elite" or the "brutes" but the regular dudes are pretty cool.

Too bad its so hard to get a good pic of them! You almost need to actually play the game and get a spotter behind you with a camera. I found these though.

EDIT: More A:CM stuff slowly turning up on google searches. Screen grab "action" shots still at a premium though...

A "Brute" (also can carry Flamethrower)

The hazmat soldier (comes in White, Yellow, and my personal favorite the Urban digital)

Last edited by bigbisont on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:39 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The game guide that came out has full color pictures of all the WY guys, doesn't it? I'll check when I get home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Yes it does Retro. but its just front side i am very intrested in doing a WY Merc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 am 
Lifer

bigbisont wrote:
Also that reminds me to reminding anyone with interest in the "PIG" to check out Burton's cool and well done setup (complete with drama!)

Thanks for the shout out! However here is a better thread (less drama/more pics) on my old PIG Gunner impression:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2391&hilit=born+again

Hard to believe I first put the PIG together 8 years ago (and re-did my Gunner uniform almost 6 years ago). :shock:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Just wanted to pop in here to say I am compiling better shots of all the A:CM weapons and all attachments from my Hauppauge HDPVR and PS3 version :) I have all the weapons done, just gotta hit up the firing range to get some more beauty shots :)

I will also get a good look at those PMCs while I'm at it, I have a trick up my sleeve to make them stand pretty :) (in the form of a nice Arc round mwahahaha!)

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm 
THAT guy

Moosh89 wrote:
I will also get a good look at those PMCs while I'm at it, I have a trick up my sleeve to make them stand pretty :) (in the form of a nice Arc round mwahahaha!)

lol, yeah I got some good shots of guys after I put em down, but fictional or not, it seemed pretty morbid and I backed out when actually uploading them! But hey, if you got some good images I still look forward to seeing them.

retrogarde wrote:
The game guide that came out has full color pictures of all the WY guys, doesn't it? I'll check when I get home...

In addition to what cosmo said about the "front only", there are subtle differences in what the art included vs. what the game actually used. For example the "grunts" BDUs under the armor is black in the book art, but white in the actual game.

Also the Hazmat troops notation says "they only carry SMGs" while the art is of a hazmat troop with a rifle! Not "big deals" by any definition, but worth noting I think.

Anyways, I have added a "brute" photo that google turned up as well as some AvP2 battle droids to the earlier posts.

Who the heck is THIS guy??!?! (from the first AvP game). My memory is VERY hazy on that game.

The white has me thinking WY, but the shoulder emblem looks like a representation of a Marine Ship patch. Anyone remember this?

EDITED: Pretty sure this guy is a "Combat Android". Nearly positive.

Last edited by bigbisont on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm 
Lifer

Geez I used to play AvP for hours and hours on end, but I don't remember that guy at all.

Is his uniform truly "white"? Could it be a glare effect from a nearby flare and/or the muzzle flash from his shotgun?

There were these guys who had "tan" uniforms- could this guy be one of those and the uniform just looks white because of some brightness effect?

Attachment:
AvPcaps 026.jpg
AvPcaps 026.jpg [ 118.28 KiB | Viewed 33123 times ]

PS- I'm not saying the NPC that I have pictured above IS the white uniform guy as there are obvious differences; I'm just suggesting that a tan uniformed NPC might look white with a bright glare effect.

Kevin

Last edited by SSgt Burton on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm 
THAT guy

EDITED/Deleted. First agreed it could be the flash. Then thought I found another image of a 'scientist' type with a blue body and white gear, but couldnt confirm it was from this game. Then Had a theory of my own, but it fell apart.

Now, I stumbled across this. Who the hell is THIS also??? The mystery only deepens.

But thanks for the screen grab of the AvP1 guy. Def a shortage of those right now.

Post subject: Re: Historical EU weapon, bad guy thread, now w/ planets& sh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 pm 
THAT guy

Anyways...

Forgot one of the most important non-alien foes of all time. The "Engineers/space jockeys". Graphic Novel and book versions of them often feature them as "original" inhibitors of the galaxy and collecting alien eggs. In the end, they always turn on us after the alien threat is over and attempt to terraform earth for their own uses.

Obviously in the flicks they likely created us and now want to destroy us. Either something changed in our development to make them change their mind, or there are 2 factions of "engineers" (the 'good' ones that created us, and separate 'bad guy' group that wants to destroy us). Perhaps Prometheus 2 will tie up the loose ends on those theories...

Original

Comic Version

Prometheus Version

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
THAT guy

These next two Universe entries are just essentially just combining other threads from this forum.

First up are the alien Universe planets. Spearheaded by Retro and excellently documented by YellowJacket, see the below link for an EXPANSIVE list of the worlds in the universe. (post 18 in the thread)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11813&hilit=planets

Now for Ship names, all the below info is a super simplified report from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12599&hilit=SHIP+NAMES&start=50
For pictures/patches and backstories, please see that link. All I did was make one big list.

Movie/Video game Marine ships (not including non-marine ships because, honestly, I'm too lazy and they dont interest me as much. Feel free to add WY, "Company" or civilian ships if you like.

USS Verloc (marine ship from AvP2)
USS Ferarco (marine ship from AvP PC)
USS Marlow (destroyed ship from AvP (rebellion) game)
USS Sephora (destroyed ship from A:CM)
USS Sulaco (ship from Aliens, destroyed in A:CM)

Fan Made
USS Sinon (pre-UKCM joint ops ship)
HMS Nimbus (UKCM Ship)
HMS Valhalla (UKCM Ship)
USS Hadrian’s Wall (UKiltedCM Ship)
USS Chulamanis (commemorative ship)
UAS Macdonald (Canadian ship)
UAS Borealis (Moosh’s Canadian ship)
USS Cerberus (Fan Film- Dropzone Copernicus)
USS Champlain
USS Cyrano (French unit Ship)
USS Terrapin (Maryland unit ship)
USS Socorro (SSgt Burton's ship)
USS Conrad (Retro’s adapted patch)
USS Alamo (ebay patch, history?)
USS Legacy (named from site)
USS Azuera (Maverick’s ship)
USS Iroquois (Garrowan’s ship)

Add your own or elaborate on back-stories! Or hell, tell me I got it wrong and let me correct it. Thanks for any input!

Last edited by bigbisont on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.82150E1
bigbisont wrote:
EDITED/Deleted. First agreed it could be the flash. Then thought I found another image of a 'scientist' type with a blue body and white gear, but couldnt confirm it was from this game. Then Had a theory of my own, but it fell apart.

Now, I stumbled across this. Who the hell is THIS also??? The mystery only deepens.

But thanks for the screen grab of the AvP1 guy. Def a shortage of those right now.

Its been ages since I played that game, but I think those were combat androids. I rememeber clawing them apart until there was nothing left because they had the shotguns. I could be wrong though.

:delta: Currahee :delta:
:delta: Construmus Batumius :delta:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:10 am 
Lifer

My "active duty" ship:

The USS Socorro: light attack frigate.

Featured in my short story- Aliens: Progeny.

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 pm 
THAT guy

Jedi Atticus wrote:
bigbisont wrote:

Its been ages since I played that game, but I think those were combat androids. I rememeber clawing them apart until there was nothing left because they had the shotguns. I could be wrong though.

I think your on to something.

This was the pic I found that prompted a theory that fell apart, but now I have new theory that I feel pretty good about.

The figure in the distance is definitely the white and blue guy from my first "who the hell..." posting.

I found info on cheat codes that allows you to play as any character which included "battle androids", and even "civilians". Other codes let you create "bots" in multiplayer as those same character models. I believe that is the case here as the pictures in question feature groupings of multiple characters on screen at once that never interacted that way in the single player game. These are probably 'multiplayer' shots that feature the Android (white gear, blue belly) and the Civilian (blue jeans and blue hat).

Thanks for the input guys (and Tony I updated the ship list!) EDIT: I MEANT KEVIN! er, no in fact I just meant Staff Seargent! Sorry.

Last edited by bigbisont on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.