The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: I just joined...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:57 am 

I have a question, I just joined the group, and from looking at the request for a service number you have for a Marine and you mark down "E", you have to have a uniform with patches.

Okay, what kind of uniform are we talking about, and where do we find such an item. Getting patches is not hard, but I'm wondering just where in the heck of things do you find a Marine Uniform. And does the uniform have to be a specific Camoflauge color?

Thanks,
Cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Hi! And welcome!

A "uniform" can be whatever you'd like it to be. Some people make it themselves and save money or some people buy premade uniforms.

Depending on what style you want to go as, you can be

A "grunt", Infantryman: you'd need camouflage BDUs. Users "Chef" and "Spat" produce top quality replica BDUs in the screen accurate camouflage pattern. They also offer complete sets of armour (or in parts!)

If you don't have the means to purchase from them, many people start out with similar patterned camouflage such as Polish Desert, or really any type of desert camouflage. If you don't care for screen accuracy, it's really up to your imagination as to what you think would look cool.

Some users here have made fantastic home made armour from anything from pepakura, to garbage bins with pretty great results! Do some keyword searches here on the forum, you'll find them!

There's also more recently been a number of metal builds over on the Ready Line subforum as well.

If you've got the money, the creator of the armour used in the movie is still producing sets. His name is Terry English. He's on Facebook and has his own website too. He's currently taking orders!

- Flight crew: probably one of the easiest to make. It's essentially getting an olive flight suit and some patches. The Dropship helmet on the other hand can be pricey and hard to make, but definitely possible!

- Smartgunner: we've got a few of these going on as well currently in the Ready Line. Matsuo "MatsuCorp" makes a great resin smartgun as well as some other people, their names escape me at the moment, sorry! Quick google searches will sort you out though.

*If searching online for ANY props/merchandise, ask people around here first before buying! It will save you a headache! Some sellers online are untruthful and sell recasted items of much poorer quality. It's best to ask around here first to be safe.

- Service C uniform: this is the type of uniform we see Gorman wear during the scene in Ripley's apartment. Most people modify the current USMC service C khaki shirt by making a mandarin collar and modifying the pocket flaps if they're really picky about screen accuracy. Next is green trousers and a green officers peak cap to match, as well as a black garrison belt and black dress shoes.

Most everybody around here is pretty relaxed when it comes to costumes, so long as it's not inappropriate or disrespectful.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re: I just joined...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:37 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
FYI, the Helikon Polish Desert camo can be purchased from http://www.military1st.co.uk and Amazon. military1st also sells via eBay and shipping to the US might be cheaper than ordering direct. While not screen accurate, the Polish Desert camo is similar and is less expensive than the Chef and Spat options. Personally while I like the looks of it and that's what I started out with, I do plan on purchasing a set of Spat's BDU's; I think it's nice to have options. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

-scoff

P.S. You might consider posting on the Introduce Yourself board and tell us a bit about yourself.

Post subject: Re: I just joined...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I would say don't be afraid to request your service number with the prefix you plan to be. Going back and getting it changed when your status updates is probably more headache than it is worth. Just pick what you have planned and roll with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:24 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
I doubt Dom will want proof anyway