The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Alien 3 mining flare / torch
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:43 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
Hello all.

I finally made progress on this project a while ago.
It's pretty near finished now. All that is left is to replace the paracord lanyard with some thin steel wire/rope when I happen upon something suitable.

First... a reminder from the movie...

...and now my recreation...

Handle made from steel tube that I had lying around.
"Rubber" hand shield recreated here with three layers of wrapped, self-amalgmating tape.
Heat shield made from sheet steel salvaged from an old PC case. Cut and filed to shape by hand.

At the moment the shield has been soldered to the handle as I don't have the means to gas weld and it's too fine for my manual metal arc welding skills.

Likewise with the ring. This has been soldered at one end and pop-riveted onto the heat shield at the other.

The top was pop riveted as per the movie version.

You can see from the second picture that my "Mining Flare Refil" is too long to be screen acurate. The reason is that this one extends right down to the bottom of the handle to accept more pyrotechnic mixture for a longer burn time (once I get the pyro sorted out).

It's held in place by a custom-bodged spring clip assembly.

I'm quite pleased with it.

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 pm 

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I want to make one of these at a small scale and was wondering if anyone has any reference beyond what you can screen cap from the movie. Thanks.