The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Sulaco Floor Panels - A Question of Provenance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:37 am 
Big Damn Hero

Let's get right to this, shall we? :wink:

So we ALL know what these are, right?

So what the hell are these things then?

There are at least seven (7) different members on http://www.yourprops.com who claim these are ORIGINAL/SCREEN-USED Sulaco Floor Tiles/Panels from the 1986 film Aliens.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember ever seeing these before. Also, I don't believe these particular interlocking floor tiles were even being produced in 1985 -- but that's just speculation on my part. Please feel free to straighten me out or enlighten me if this particular topic has been hashed out before.

So then through very little effort I find there is someone from Italy selling these things on eBay for $59 USD plus $19 USD shipping:

"Original Aliens Sulaco Floor Large Tile Original Prop Screen Used with COA"... and they don't seem to be running out anytime soon. This I happen to find highly questionable.

And then there is this place online that currently sells these familiar looking Poly-Lock Gray Vinyl Interlocking Drainage Floor Tiles:

Although not 'screen-used' to the 'questionable' tiles, they are definitely a close match. Not surprisingly, these are available for only $10.49 USD each plus shipping because they are NOT Sulaco Floor Tiles:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/poly-lock-gray-vinyl-interlocking-drainage-floor-tile-12-x-12-3-4-thick/8442557STDGY.html

Both the Italian Sulaco Floor Tiles and the Poly-Lock Gray Vinyl Interlocking Drainage Floor Tiles measure 12" x 12", or 35cm x 35cm. The original and authenticated hard green plastic (painted silver) Sulaco Floor Tile at the very top of this thread measures a whopping 16.75" x 16.75", or 42.5cm x 42.5cm.

Do I need to continue? Has the 'Obvious Fairy' been playing hooky lately?

Please discuss. 8)

Post subject: Re: Sulaco Floor Panels - A Question of Provenance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 am 

This is an old thread but seeing as it doesn't seem to have been resolved anywhere and I just got some information, I thought I'd share.

I have one of these from a trade, with a CoA from the Movie Prop Warehouse in the UK signed by the owner, Mr John cage. I sent Mr Cage an e-mail inquiring about the tile and just got this reply:

"The Tiles came to us from a stock clearance at Elstree Studios. We believe they were used on the floor of Ripleys shuttle at the start of the film, though most sellers at the time were listing them as Sulaco Floor Tiles, which we believe is incorrect."

So, it might in fact be a tile from the Narcissus and not the Sulaco. There's a lot of dry ice smoke on the floor of the shuttle and it stands to reason that they may have had different tiles on different sets. There are a lot of areas in the film that we don't see up-close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:30 am 

Yeah, the only two styles I've ever seen on the Sulaco are these two:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/avp ... 1208053208

Post subject: Re: Sulaco Floor Panels - A Question of Provenance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Ripstick wrote:
There are at least seven (7) different members on http://www.yourprops.com who claim these are ORIGINAL/SCREEN-USED Sulaco Floor Tiles/Panels from the 1986 film Aliens.

Unfortunately there are quite a few Aliens items on Yourprops in the 'original/screen used' category that are definitely not. Of course the long term effects of this is that these pieces could creep into the market and, over the years, come to be thought of as original.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:51 am 

Has it ever been discussed on here that the (correct) Sulaco floor tile pictured above can be seen outside of the Sulaco in the movie?

Albeit in a very small amount compared to the set of the Sulaco.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:52 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
You can kind of make out a tile-like pattern in this screen grab:
Original:
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 80.4 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

Brightened:
Attachment:
image.jpg