The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Motion Tracker Grill
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:41 am 

With the help of another member, I managed to acquire a fully functional Superswitch Intruder Alarm, complete with box, wall mount, operating guide, stickers, and some other stuff.

Attachment:
Superswitch Intruder Alarm.jpg
Superswitch Intruder Alarm.jpg [ 554.83 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

When I compared the Superswitch's grill to pictures of the grill on the Prop Store's Motion Tracker on display at SDCC 2013, they appeared to match, except that the Motion Tracker's grill looked like it might be very slightly thicker.

Attachment:
SIA grill removed.jpg
SIA grill removed.jpg [ 909.55 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

Attachment:
SIA grill close-up.jpg
SIA grill close-up.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

Attachment:
Prop Store MT grill.png
Prop Store MT grill.png [ 29.6 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

Also, since the section with the grill would have been removed from the Superswitch to make the Shoulder Lamp, it seems likely that's where the grill's from. So, if anyone wants an accurate Tracker grill, the diamonds measure 3 mm high, 2 mm wide, and the sides are 1.5 mm long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:19 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Damn Quarax, that's great! I would love one of those (or a cast) for set dressing like in Hadley's Hope.

Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker Grill
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:31 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
Damn Quarax, that's great! I would love one of those (or a cast) for set dressing like in Hadley's Hope.

Thanks! I wish I knew how to make casts, as I want to keep this in its original configuration, but I also want a Shoulder Lamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:15 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

It can't be that hard, but I've never done it. Do you have any art schools or good craft stores in your area? They might be able to give you tips or point you in the right direction. I know a guy out my way who could do it (and I'm sure others do too) but I know if it were me I wouldn't want to risk mailing it anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:51 pm 

Good catch on the grill:)
Have to find one, too. Some old stereo speakers also have this mesh.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:17 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
It can't be that hard, but I've never done it. Do you have any art schools or good craft stores in your area? They might be able to give you tips or point you in the right direction. I know a guy out my way who could do it (and I'm sure others do too) but I know if it were me I wouldn't want to risk mailing it anywhere.

None that I'm aware of; Leamington isn't very big. I watched a few tutorials a while ago, and it didn't seem too hard. Wouldn't the amount of resin needed to make one be expensive, though?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:32 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

Matsuo has a mold of an actual superswitch body already.

Chef has a replica mold of the superswitch body.

I would try to persuade one of them to make the top portion, or scratch build that part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Necro-bump:

I think this is a great revelation, and I was on board when Quarax first brought this up. But I'm having trouble actually seeing this as the mesh we see in the screen used trackers. I do think that it makes absolute total sense that they could have used the top Superswitch speaker mesh...

BUT do we know for absolute certainty that some of the shoulder lamps were made with the #6000 Superswitch, and not all the #6010 Superswitch Extender? We now know that the 6010 Extender exists and it has no keypanel membrane or top speaker. It's essentially ready to go with little modification for the lamp body. If all the shoulder lamps were made from these Extenders, then it's likely that the mesh is in fact generic speaker/automotive mesh.

Attachment:
superswitch 6010.jpg
superswitch 6010.jpg [ 5.58 KiB | Viewed 3375 times ]

I'd love to get a general board consensus on which it is. To me, as Quarax points out, the Superswitch mesh wire seems slightly too fine.

The reason I bring this back up, is I'm currently working on a detailed part guide for the Motion Tracker and I'd like to include the definitive answer.

Now, if only somebody with a digital caliper can get a date with one of the screen used trackers... :twisted:

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

It is such generic part that I don't think it should make or break a build. If someone told me they were using the SuperSwitch mesh I'd be hard pressed to tell for sure if they were telling the truth!