The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:29 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.12261E1
Oh, and just to get a tally of those you who care...

I have been given the option of having the spring covers repainted to make it look new. I am torn...part of me wants the arm to look new. The other part of me likes the weathered look a lot too (I'm leaning towards leaving it looking weathered).

What do you guys think? I actually would value your input!

Post subject: Re: Starting an M56 Smartgun Project
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
My personal opinion is that slightly weathered instead of "factory new look" looks more plausible.

Why? It makes the props look real.
For CGI it's a must have, for the same reasons IMHO also for a prop that should look used.

I can understand when you have it all painted and it looks new and shiny why make it look old?
Have my first Shoulder lamp made new withiout any weathering and I regret it!

If you see my M56 pics you will notice different level of usage/damage, different shades of black and different metal effects
as these are different (metal) components.
The muzzel flash was "blacked" like the connector, but looks different due to the different metals used this makes it IMHO more plausible/real than everything in the same brand new look.

I can fully understand if you want ECTO-1 being shiny white that's for this car better meaning not everything needs to be covered in durt.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 am 

Very well said. I am pretty sure I will keep it weathered. For those of you who breezed right to this new page of the thread, make sure you check out the last post on page 2 to see the arm!

Here's a comparison shot:

The top is Vasquez's actual arm. The bottom is mine. I noted the attached piece to the silver-colored (anodized) end piece instead of to the other end of the arm as it is on the screen-used arm. I have pointed that out to him, and that should be a quick fix. It's also possible that the piece on my anodized end was simply removed from the screen-used arm prior to the picture being taken. I'm not sure if that piece is used to attach the arm to the vest, but that silver anodized end is the piece that attaches the arm to the vest.

Last edited by M56 Smart One on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:01 am 

Oh, and let me explain something else that I should've...

Look at this picture again:

Those circular discs are called trunions. The one on the left in that photo is screen accurate. The one on the right is a newer version. 11 of the original trunions are still being sourced to make my arm completely accurate...yes, it is being constructed to precision...the only way to go!

More photos will come, but it may take me a few weeks (probably after Dragon Con) to land my next big acquisition...which, I am hoping is the one BIG piece I need to make this thing as real as can be (I'm tracking a real MG42).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 am 

Wow !!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:04 am 

Well guys,

Revisiting this photo a few times and speaking with the man who designed the model III arm, I can say that the piece attached to the silver end that I thought was meant to attach to the other end is actually the piece that is needed to attach the arm to the vest itself. So, basically, I should never have doubted the guy...

So basically, I've been able to deduce with his help that the piece attached to the other end of the arm in the picture below was what they used to help attach the arm to the gun itself...too bad there aren't any good pictures of this anywhere (from what I can find).

The plot thickens a little bit. I will say that I have been connected through the help of a few to the man that actually OWNS the exact same arm used by Vasquez in the movie. He still uses the arm for filming...how cool is that? Well, I have confirmed a few details about the arm that basically mean my arm is going to be as expensive as possible (go figure). I have just asked him if he acquired the arm with that custom piece attached to the end for connecting to the gun. If he somehow did acquire it, the information will be shared with those of you who care, assuming the owner is OK with me sharing it on this forum.

On that note, if anyone has any awesome reference of how the arm does attach to the gun that I'm overlooking PLEASE send me a PM.

Pretty soon...
- Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:25 pm 

Well my friends...

I JUST BOUGHT A REAL GERMAN MG-42!!!!!

OK, JUST A BIT EXCITED. THAT IS ALL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:20 pm 
"Smart"-Ass

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGHHHhhhHHH.

*edit - Yeah, I could have told you the part about the vest fitting. Wish I'd known you were trying to figure that out. The piece that connects the arm to the gun was a custom fabricated L-bracket. There have been a number of creative solutions people in this group have come up with for handling that attachment, but so far I think Matsuo and Jesse DeGraff are the only ones who have ever attempted machining a duplicate to the original.

M-56 Smartgun Operator, A/3Btn, II CMEF, USS Sephora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 pm 

My word adam this is so damn impressive! Ive never really had much interest in the SG rig other than the headset so this is all an education for me. Please keep the updates coming!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 am 

One of the most promising SG builds I've seen so far. Your rig, especially with the lengths you are going to to get the 100% screen accurate arm, will be the envy of us all! Can't wait to see your work on the actual gun after you figure out the arm attachment points and other tidbits. Keep the updates coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:24 pm 

Thanks guys...the updates will keep coming, including photos of the MG42 when it arrives!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 am 

Well,

I was thinking the steadicam arm pictures would have generated a bit more of a buzz, but it seems I need to step up the game a little bit...

FEAST YOUR EYES:

That is a REAL 1942 German MG42 machine gun that I have purchased and it is in very good shape...and it wasn't cheap, but at the same time I'd say I got it for a great price. I am so freaking pumped! This thing weighs a ton compared to the airsoft versions out there and I wouldn't be happier settling for anything less. At first I was a bit hesitant to modify something historical like this, but I realized that 1) there are plenty of other ones out there in proper hands that will keep them in tip-top shape as they deserve to be, and 2) this gun is going towards a project that I've put SO much into and plenty of people will hopefully appreciate it.

So beautiful...

The gun aspect of the project will NOT be tackled until after Dragon Con. I would have loved to gear up with some of you guys in a few weeks, but it's just not possible to rush something this expensive without screwing it up. I will be more involved with reaching out to those of you who can lend a helping hand once that convention is over. I'd love to meet some of you when we're down there...I'll be doing my Ghostbuster stuff, and I'm sure our table will be right next to yours again this year.

- Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That is a thing of beauty! Great score!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am 

You've really outdone yourself now. Is the MG42 demilled or still active? If demilled, what conventions to you plan to show up with your full SG rig at (once it's complete)? It seems as if many conventions I know of (or just the ones in my state) are very strict when it comes to gun like props, sometimes outright banning gun props that use any real parts, ones that are airsoft, or forcing you to paint the gun two-tone with neon colors, which is out of the question for a colonial marine build.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am 

It's deactivated...completely legal in every way. I see what you're saying though about limitations to where I'll be able to take it. I will NOT paint it a certain way or anything like that, so I'll only be able to go to conventions where this is allowed. I have not yet geared up, so I don't know what conventions do and do not allow props like this. Needless to say, if Dragon Con does, and obviously they must, that is my primary motivation, and maybe NYCC if they allow them too. I've never been to NYCC, but my friends always go. Ultimately, I only want to go to conventions with this baby if other marines are going to be there; otherwise it won't be as much fun.

XenoPhanatik wrote:
You've really outdone yourself now. Is the MG42 demilled or still active? If demilled, what conventions to you plan to show up with your full SG rig at (once it's complete)? It seems as if many conventions I know of (or just the ones in my state) are very strict when it comes to gun like props, sometimes outright banning gun props that use any real parts, ones that are airsoft, or forcing you to paint the gun two-tone with neon colors, which is out of the question for a colonial marine build.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 pm 
reload

> ... but it's just not possible to rush something this expensive without screwing it up.
I can only second this. Take your time.

Keeping fingers crossed that you don't need to make the flash hider orange or such thing to indicate that is not an active gun.
On the bright side D*Con has a good prop security check point. Just have your papers with you and you should be fine.
Perhaps Spat or others could comment on NY and NYCC rules/laws/..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Very nice indeed. 8)

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:08 pm 

you are definitely going to need your steadicam rig for that thing. Mine weighs a ton so I imagine yours is no different. How Jenette Goldstein carried that thing for any length of time astonishes me.

I think mine will be going up on my wall though as I have no cash to blow on an arm and vest. very much looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:12 pm 

Awesome work ! I don't know the rules for nyc comic con about deactivated fire arms . I've gotten in twice with Matsuo resin smart gun twice with no problems . The weapons checkers were so impressed with it they all took pictures of it . Saying it was the most impressive con weapon the have seen . Matts works amazing . But I'd check before I brought that beaut any where , to be safe .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm 

It's actually kind of funny if you think about it. If someone wanted to sneak a real, functional weapon into some sort of convention, do you think they'd be stupid enough to bring something so...uh...exactly opposite of inconspicuous? If I can only take this to Dragon Con that would be sad...but I'll finish my baby up first before I worry about restrictions. Hopefully if I'm with a group of other marines there won't be any questions as to what I'm up to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm 
reload

As Adam mentioned the advantages of going with a group to Con
here some comments from my past experience.

Apart from Country, State & City laws and what you need to consider when travelling with such a beast/beauty
there are the rules set up for the Con.

What the organizer of a Con defines to be allowed or not may also vary on if you attending as normal visitor or
if you have a table at the Con.

In most cases when we had a table bringing such a prop was allowed/tolerated.
That would n't have been the case if we just had a standard ticket.

Another reason to go to DragonCon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 pm 

M56 smart one, this is one hell of an epic thread.
For a long time I lost the hope to own a smart gun replica. HCG announcement at SDCC light up my passion. And here I am looking on ebay for a steedy cam rig to buy.
What a terrible mistake. Thanks to all the informations you shared, I realized it wasn't such a simple task.
You did a gigantic job and I more than impressed by how far you're ready to go for an accurate replica.
You're an inspiration and I'm looking forward for the next WIP post. Thank you for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 am 
AKKURAZI

First you scored with the epic Ectomobile and now this. Whatever fandom I take part in, you keep taking the taco, pal. ;)
Seriously, this project deserves mor praise: that arm is fantastic, so is the harness. The MG42 is pretty sweet, too. Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Same goes for the Ecto-1, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 am 

You guys are making me blush...seriously, thank you.

I've got some big stuff still in store for this project...it's nice to know that people appreciate it.

And yes, the Ecto is my pride and joy project...it's a shame you're in Germany, otherwise I'd invite you to come ride in it when she's finished. The offer is on the table if you ever fly to the USA and are near Pennsylvania for some reason!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:23 am 
AKKURAZI

M56 Smart One wrote:
...it's a shame you're in Germany, otherwise I'd invite you to come ride in it when she's finished. The offer is on the table if you ever fly to the USA and are near Pennsylvania for some reason!

As good a reason as any to visit the States again... wouldn't be the first trip I mostly take for nerdy reasons.
We're talking life dream fulfilment here, riding in an accurate Ecto-1. So thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next