The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:21 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.12261E1
It's been way too long yet again...but here's the final part of my Houston trip story.

So day #3 was pretty epic. I was invited to come see a remarkable collection. I can't go into detail about the collector or the actual collection, but I'll share two photos that he allowed me to post on Facebook.

First up, and really the best one is as you'd figure it to be:

That is one of the two screen-used smartguns, which I believe to be Drake's, but I must put a bit of research into this once I get a good computer to analyze screen captures with other photos that I have. No, I cannot post more photos of this, and I will not share them privately out of respect for my friend. This gun is SICK. First of all, I love when people give me a hard time about taking an MG42 machine gun and 'ruining' it to make the smartgun. A lot of these people say that the MG42's in the movie were not permanently modified for the film or that they were rented. Well, take it from me: the MG42's used in the movie were permanently modified for conversion into the smartguns. The front grip mount is welded to the shroud, and the C-clamp that connects the steadicam arm to the gun is anchored by a large screw, of which a large hole is drilled into the bottom of the shroud. So there you have it, if you want an accurate smartgun and use an MG42, you DO have to weld to it and drill into it.

Now, I also will post this photo, because I love the pulse rifle a lot too:

That is not screen used, but was made for production. It was still awesome.

These two props were just two of the many, many highlights in this collection. You have NO idea how mind-blowing it was. I held some pretty insane things that day and I'm still in awe. The best part about these props (and they aren't all from Aliens) is that they are in the hands of a truly awesome guy. Seriously, he couldn't have been any nicer and hospitable to my buddy and I when we visited.

After the trip to his place, my buddy and I headed to San Antonio to celebrate the propgasms we just had with some pizza:

We couldn't eat it all, but we tried. I'd say that we put about 40% of the pizza down. We then had to suffer a 2-hour drive back to Houston with the leftover slices in the trunk of the car, which caused the entire car to smell like pizza. I could have killed my buddy for insisting we take the leftovers (he didn't want us to look like we were defeated). We ended up giving the leftover pizza to the valet guys at the hotel. The next day we headed back to Pennsylvania.

Since then, the smartgun progress has begun again...there were some personal issues on behalf of the guy who is helping with my gun that prevented him from working on it for a bit. His health is way more important than my gun, so I'm just glad he is getting back into the swing of things.

I have also begun the process of finding accurate parts to make my friend's screen-used smartgun screen-accurate again. I'm so thrilled that I know enough to be able to help him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:44 am 

Drake's smartgun: this is spectacular

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:06 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
M56 Smart One wrote:
No, I cannot post more photos of this, and I will not share them privately out of respect for my friend.

The front grip mount is welded to the shroud, and the C-clamp that connects the steadicam arm to the gun is anchored by a large screw, of which a large hole is drilled into the bottom of the shroud.

Hey Adam, if you don't mind, can I ask why your friend wouldn't want to share pics of his treasures? As a collector, I can't imagine not wanting to share. Not meaning to be critical, just genuinely nonplussed.

Close up pics of the two details you've mentioned would have been awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:04 pm 

He is a private collector and you have to be careful when things cost as much as these things do. I wasn't asked not to share and I haven't asked him if it is OK for me to share them. Don't worry, you will see how things were done on the real gun, as mine will be done the same exact way.

Post subject: Re: M56 Smartgun 'Hero' Build / Vasquez Tribute
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 am 

I guess you collected enough references to build a screen accurate Drake M56.
It's time to change the title of this topic to "Vasquez and Drake tribute" ;)

Last edited by Cain MKII on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:38 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
septic wrote:
M56 Smart One wrote:
No, I cannot post more photos of this, and I will not share them privately out of respect for my friend.

The front grip mount is welded to the shroud, and the C-clamp that connects the steadicam arm to the gun is anchored by a large screw, of which a large hole is drilled into the bottom of the shroud.

Hey Adam, if you don't mind, can I ask why your friend wouldn't want to share pics of his treasures? As a collector, I can't imagine not wanting to share. Not meaning to be critical, just genuinely nonplussed.

Close up pics of the two details you've mentioned would have been awesome.

unfortunately, sometimes the internet gets a wiff of these things and burglaries happen :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Like the guy who stole the Nostromo key from Bob Burns house. I'd be cautious too...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:55 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
retrogarde wrote:
Like the guy who stole the Nostromo key from Bob Burns house. I'd be cautious too...

Exactly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:01 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Agreed, caution is advised of course, but there's a difference from posting prop ref pics on a forum vs a Google Streetview pic of their house ...

M56 Smart One wrote:
Don't worry, you will see how things were done on the real gun, as mine will be done the same exact way.

With the utmost respect & appreciation for what you are doing (and have already done / shared) - Replica Prop does not equal Original Prop, no matter how faithful the recreation is.

[Sensible] sharing is caring 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:52 pm 

Either way, especially interested in seeing you continue your build, I am slowly gathering parts to build my own one day. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 am 

This thread need an update, urgently :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 am 
I'm dying for an update as well! Best thread ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:10 pm 
Mercenary

Drakes Smartgun?!? WOW... Neid!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:04 pm 
Stumbled across this cool continuity photo of Drake's harness-

o1244_i16231.jpg
o1244_i16231.jpg [ 575.49 KiB | Viewed 94333 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
retrogarde wrote:

What??? When did this happen?!

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Back in 2008 or 2009? Stephen210 and others worked hard and managed to recreate it for him!

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1145&start=220

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:58 pm 

Hey everyone,

It's been a very long wait, but things are finally moving ahead. I had to wait for Matsuo (my smartgun enthusiast consultant) to get back on his feet. Matt is the only one who could do the work that I needed, and he is the only one I can trust to obsess over minor details as much as I do when it comes to this legendary weapon. Here are a few shots I have of him his work so far. The AR-125 pegs are not the ones that will be used on my baby but they were attached for test-fitting. As you saw earlier, I have a set of brand new old stock pegs to attach.

Also, Matt has addressed fitting the C-clamp to attach the L-bracket to so that I can attach the gun to the steadicam arm...

Still a lot of work to go, but it's happening.

Also, I never posted the boots I decided to go with for the Vasquez uniform...

If you look at various screen caps, it appears she may have worn 2 different pairs of boots throughout shooting the movie, if not more (we'll never know). The best closeup I have (from when she is pinning the xenomorph to the airduct to shoot it in the head) shows 7 lace holes and some other features I used as landmarks to ID them. These are not entirely accurate, but close enough given I still can't figure out exactly what kind of boots she wore. As you can see, they have the appropriate amount of lace holes and feature a few other landmarks I used as well. The soles are different...the search for the right boots will continue when I have the time (probably never).

Also, stay tuned for my other upcoming Aliens thread to show off my standard USCM gear as it comes together. Here's a teaser:

My buddy Gary (a vital part of this forum) has been working hard on this after I said I couldn't pass up a chance at snagging the accurate Kango drill from him.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, I managed to snag some official Fox production stills of some of the USCM props...they are badass.

Hopefully I'll be back soon with more updates!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 am 

Nice to see you back on track :)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 pm 

Matsuo has been working on so much awesome stuff. He really is a standup guy and he will get all of his standing orders filled. I don't know how he manages to do all of it, but I am excited that he has continued to work on my gun. The front grip mount has been produced and strength-tested. He is doing a few of these and says that I get the best one (yay...haha). Then it just has to be welded on completely. Check her out:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 pm 

I have one of these reenforced front grip on order too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:15 pm 

So, what's up next? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 am 

Lots of Ghostbusters stuff in hyper-drive right now (pun intended). The gun progress will pick up soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:36 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
So this sucker is back in motion, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:57 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
So this sucker is back in motion, eh?

Indeed it is, my friend, and thank you for bumping it so that I could post in the thread (I think it got archived and I could not until you did). The rear block is being produced as we speak so that we can assemble the rear trigger assembly. The gun is back in motion!

For some reason I cannot embed the photos in the actual post from Photobucket, so the photos are attached since that's not working.

M56 Rear Block 3.JPEG
M56 Rear Block 3.JPEG [ 885.42 KiB | Viewed 85924 times ]

M56 Rear Block 2.JPEG
M56 Rear Block 2.JPEG [ 817.56 KiB | Viewed 85924 times ]

M56 Rear Block 1.JPEG
M56 Rear Block 1.JPEG [ 900.15 KiB | Viewed 85924 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 pm 

Love this build! Glad to see it back on track.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11