The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: New 1/6th Hudson head sculpt, updated Hicks (new to me!)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:23 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I finally slapped some paint on new heads I got for my Hicks and Hudson. They are literally the first and second heads I have ever even TRIED to paint, so forgive the rough edges! In any case they are HUGE improvements over the stock Hot Toys heads, and at ~$25 ea (unpainted, of course) they were not too big a hit to the wallet.

A "Bill Kern" Hudson. He sometimes sells on ebay, but I think he hasn't in a while for fear of people recasting his work. I know a guy name Ironman1188 seems to be the pointman for him on the onesixthwarrior site.

For Hicks, I actually used a Hot Toys sculpt. I think this is common knowledge to the 1/6th vets out there, but in case anyone didn't know... I had long ago heard that Hot Toys did sculpt a Michael Biehn head for the Hicks figure when they expected to have the likeness rights. When it didn't work out, they saved the head but covered it camo face paint and used it on another figure. I tracked down one of these "Stoner heads" (named after the Vietnam Navy Seal 'Stoner' Gunner it was used on) and it actually isnt bad.

After I stripped off the camo and put a base layer of paint, it absolutely bears a resemblance (albeit a 'dated' sculpting style).

Some more paint

I also attached the savannah bronica lighter I made from a Neca shotgun holster and McFarlane clasp

A quick note about the "Stoner Head". I realized after I had gotten it, and painted it... that it is all a SCAM!!! You don't even need to find a "Stoner Head". Hot toys hid the Biehn sculpt in plain site. ITS THE SAME HEAD AS THE STOCK HUDSON!!! Its amazing how good or bad paint can bring out or hide a likeness. The stock Hudson head is the same sculpt as the Stoner head, just painted in a way so it looks nothing like Biehn.

Anyways, that was my weekend... thanks for looking

Post subject: Re: New 1/6th Hudson head sculpt, updated Hicks (new to me!)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
Beautiful Job on Hudson.

Hicks/Stoner you can truly see the difference a little paint does. Maybe a WY Cloned Hicks in the future with the spare head???

As your a fan of my 1/18th Hot Toys Snap Kit customs.
What do you think to the New HUDSON head I have done?

This for those unsure is for the 4" tall action figures.

hudson steals.jpg
hudson steals.jpg [ 75.17 KiB | Viewed 4611 times ]

bill.jpg
bill.jpg [ 38.81 KiB | Viewed 4611 times ]

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1

Post subject: Re: New 1/6th Hudson head sculpt, updated Hicks (new to me!)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
wow thats crazy. I actually will not be attempting any sculpting smaller than 1/6! I have a few good leads on "close enough" heads for most of my Neca troops and that is plenty for me. But more power to you, man! I wish I got on those lil fellas before they started going for $60+ each...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
Anyone who sculpts heads is CRAZY lol

I think at the 1/18th scale it is actually easier. I have done a few 1/6th and they demand so much more detail. Key with 1/18th is getting the basics all right. Do that and the head sculpt starts to scream the character you are doing.

New to the 7" figure line due to as said caving in and getting a NECA USCM figure. So now on a conquest of buying up various brands for various body parts and head sculpts.
Already have plans for a custom Smart Gunner, WY Security & Spec Ops USCM trooper after I do a few USCM figures.

Really wanted to do the squad thing at 1/6th but the stupid costs of the figures even when broken down to spares just does make it worth while. So kudos to you on pursuing that path mate :D

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1