The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: 3d printed helmet camera
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Does anyone know if there is a 3d file out there for a helmet camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:46 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
Let me see what I can do.

08/12 update: How about this?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4567881

Not sure I can attach the actual STL file here, so I am hoping the mods will overlook the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:09 pm 
GarageGeek

Impressive gunner. I have a helmet cam I could send you if you want a reference to get it spot-on.

Post subject: Re: 3d printed helmet camera
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:53 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Also for some crystal clear screen used shots, that ongoing Propstore auction has some beautiful images of it from Frost's helmet.

Attachment:
Frost screen used helmet 7.jpg
Frost screen used helmet 7.jpg [ 274.59 KiB | Viewed 3667 times ]

Attachment:
cropped camera.jpg
cropped camera.jpg [ 327.83 KiB | Viewed 3667 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:16 pm 

This was "cloned" from a NECA scale file, so it's likely way off. I am working on rendering as much as possible to make it easier for people to get their kits done.

Thanks big, I'll have to check it out on the computer when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 pm 

I ordered a print

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm 
THAT guy

smrtazzsmrtgnnr wrote:
This was "cloned" from a NECA scale file, so it's likely way off. I am working on rendering as much as possible to make it easier for people to get their kits done.

Thanks big, I'll have to check it out on the computer when I get home.

After taking a closer look myself, the two I posted really are the best ones. Still, they are pretty darn decent I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Doesn’t Spat sell casts of the helmet camera? I mean you can’t much more accurate than that.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 pm 
Mercenary

The camera body I had on my Helmed looks exactly like the one in the both pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 pm 

I am trying reinvent the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:11 am 
GarageGeek

notice those two little bumps that look like pins that youd use in sewing? the back one is broken off in the pics. That could be some kind of clue about its construction.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:36 pm 
Moderator & screen used

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
I am trying reinvent the wheel.

I think that sums up a lot of 3D printing or 3D printed items. This is probably a conversation for another thread but I've seen some terrible 3D prints of things like Pulse Rifles and the like, which are neither accurate or of a good quality of finish. Don't get me wrong, I think 3D printing is amazing, but so is RTV rubber mould making and resin casting, and each has it's place in the world. A a lot of the time though it looks like folks think that 3D printing, in any form is the method by which to make absolutely everything, rather than looking for the right tool for the job.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:30 pm 

While I may agree with the basic idea of your statement, as for me and my 3d printing/rendering, I am attempting to do whatever I can, as accurately as I can, because real world parts are either scarce or too expensive (for many of us)... or both.

All this IS, after all, meant for costumes, worn/displayed by fans, and not meant for museum quality collections.

Or am I off the mark here?

You tell me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:12 pm 
Moderator & screen used

smrtazzsmrtgnnr wrote:
While I may agree with the basic idea of your statement, as for me and my 3d printing/rendering, I am attempting to do whatever I can, as accurately as I can, because real world parts are either scarce or too expensive (for many of us)... or both.

All this IS, after all, meant for costumes, worn/displayed by fans, and not meant for museum quality collections.

Or am I off the mark here?

You tell me.

First of all smrtazzsmrtgnnr I'm not sure where you got the idea that my criticism was levelled at you from as it certainly wasn't mean to be at all.

My comments were more to do with accuracy of items in general in the 3D print market. I find it difficult to understand how, with computer aided design programs and decent printers, things can be made that aren't exactly the same in both accuracy and quality of print, as the real thing. If that's difficult then there's every opportunity to produce them using different methods. As for cost I wonder if some folks (again, not you - I just mean some people out there) forget to factor in the cost of materials and the cost of the machines over spending a few dollars on buying something that already exists.

I don't think there's anything wrong with striving for a high level of accuracy in terms of costuming when the means to achieve that are available. It shouldn't make a difference whether you're making something for a con or a museum display.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:49 pm 

I never took your words as insult, in fact, I started off by saying I agreed with you. And again, I agree, quality CAN be better. When I said "as for me" I mean only that, as I cannot speak for anyone other than myself. If my words were connected in such a way as to seem adversarial, that was not my intent, and for my part in that, I do apologize.

The camera file that seems to have started all this, as stated, was made by using another, MUCH smaller piece as a starting point. The re-scale and rework is the result of only a couple hours of "work" and reflects that. I admitted it was inaccurate.

My other 3d part files (so far unpublished and shared with only a few people, also for free) are the results of cumulative days or weeks of work and, thus, also reflect that effort, though again, I err on the side of caution and never claim full accuracy.

My goal is to make things affordable for those of us who only have a few dollars. I am "that one guy" who rocked props knocked together out of wood and pipes, then upgraded to better quality (though still not "screen accurate") later on.

On the other side of that same coin, I have also had the "museum quality collection" (different franchise), with actual parts or pieces cast there from, as well as high end replicas, only to have it all end up as literal smoke and ashes.

So, I can understand multiple points of view here, as you can see (no pun intended.)

Again, I AM agreeing with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:17 am 

Thanks to Seven, I have been able to update the 3d files I posted. I am hoping that it meets with approval.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4567881

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm 
GarageGeek

Dude....Dude. You gotta be kidding me. This really is a game changer.
How can I learn these skills?
Godamnit, my printer is gonna be running for a few more hours before i can test this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm 
THAT guy

That is some excellent work. 2 suggestions/requests:

-Make the lens connection point larger so that people could install real pentax lenses.
-Make a version that is flat on the bottom so people can install them into scratch built smartgun headsets!
(you know, no helmet curvature. thicker in the back to flatten out at the bottom)

again, Amazing work!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
-Make the lens connection point larger so that people could install real pentax lenses.

-Make a version that is flat on the bottom so people can install them into scratch built smartgun headsets!

Thanks.

For point 1 - that is already done, as the 3d Pentax and the mounting point were done from the real part Pentax I have on hand.

For point 2 - I would love to, if only the SG cam were the same. Unfortunately, from all the picture references I have, there are several design differences between the two.

GOOD NEWS is though, as my screen name suggests, I happen to be an operator of such a beast, and therefore, have already been working on as many headset parts as possible, cam included.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement... they really DO help a lot.

Post subject: Re: 3d printed helmet camera
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:29 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.02132E1
Mooncrest models,thats wehre i buy all my helmet Camera bodies from,and there verry good.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:31 pm 
THAT guy

smrtazzsmrtgnnr wrote:

GOOD NEWS is though, as my screen name suggests, I happen to be an operator of such a beast, and therefore, have already been working on as many headset parts as possible, cam included.

Oh right! Duh, me. Sometimes forget screen names to the real people! Of course I we had already talked about your headset plans.
Can't wait to see how that turns out too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:43 pm 

I also have files for the shoulder lamp (minus handle) that the super switch is as accurate as I can get w/o one on hand (good photos and measurements were provided to me) and a REALLY close Reflecta version (real part 3001 model on hand), which are being "beta tested" for me.

Last edited by smrtazzsmrtgnnr on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 pm 

I ordered a print of the new helmet camera. The initial print that was found was off a little bit. smartazzmrtgnnr has some awesome file creations and I feel that if we can get him as many real parts as possible his creations will possess a quality unlike anything this world has seen to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:46 pm 

If I need to modify the mounting plate, let me know. I have an M1 helmet somewhere in storage that I'll have to locate.

If the file can be contour sanded for a better fit, that might work too.

Thanks everyone. I am constantly trying to improve my files, so ALL feedback is a huge help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:56 pm 
GarageGeek

I cant get the files from thingiverse. it saying "downloading..." and never downloads. anyone have this issue?