The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: smartgunner headset question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
I have been looking around for the eye cup piece.

So far it has been unidentified. So far I can find a very close match here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... r_for.html

Do an overlay to hide the eye cup and wrap in a shroud the connection to the other piece to make it adjustable.

Does anyone have a set used piece as I am really curious if the unit was functional at all.

Post subject: Re: smartgunner headset question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:09 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
This has been covered before, including the fact that it's not a found piece in any way. This thread might be helpful.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:52 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
This has been covered before, including the fact that it's not a found piece in any way. This thread might be helpful.

Harry

Dude, that is what I needed!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I can tell right now from the pictures that it is a prism periscope. It has some sort of slight overlay on it. Parts were taken off of it and looks like some of the bandai parts were added and blended in.

Is the long square tube all metal coming from the eye piece extension?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 am 
Moderator & screen used

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

You're welcome!

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
I can tell right now from the pictures that it is a prism periscope. It has some sort of slight overlay on it. Parts were taken off of it and looks like some of the bandai parts were added and blended in.

I'm not sure what that means, what's the overlay you mention?

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

No, it's made from resin. All of the arm and eye-cup on the end is made from plastic/resin. There's no metal in that piece apart from a long machine-screw holding the square arm on to the Megatron part near the 'knuckle'.

Harry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:54 am 

Harry Harris wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

You're welcome!

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

I'm not sure what that means, what's the overlay you mention?

If you look inside the eyecup you see the prism at a 45 degree relative rotation to a normal right angle viewfinder periscope. The core unit would have to have an overlay of metal or resin to cover up the original part. I was just not sure how they went about it.

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

No, it's made from resin. All of the arm and eye-cup on the end is made from plastic/resin. There's no metal in that piece apart from a long machine-screw holding the square arm on to the Megatron part near the 'knuckle'.

Harry

What is the prism/screen part made of? Glass or just a clever resin application?

Given that you are saying it is made of resin, I am thinking they did a prototype build and then did a resin casting off of it tweaked a few things and then made a master mould to have on hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:06 pm 
Moderator & screen used

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
What is the prism/screen part made of? Glass or just a clever resin application?

The little screen is just made from plastic and painted on the inside. It could have been vacuum formed or taken from something like a camera maybe - the guy who made these, Terry Reed, used a lot of camera parts to dress the Motion Tracker props as we all know.

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Given that you are saying it is made of resin, I am thinking they did a prototype build and then did a resin casting off of it tweaked a few things and then made a master mould to have on hand.

That's doubtful, Terry told me that they didn't have much time to build these pieces (he had a weekend to build the Motion Trackers for example), plus they look very hand-made if you study them closely. The only moulded parts would have been the square tube, the large eye-cup and the smaller dome section on the cup.

Harry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

The little screen is just made from plastic and painted on the inside. It could have been vacuum formed or taken from something like a camera maybe - the guy who made these, Terry Reed, used a lot of camera parts to dress the Motion Tracker props as we all know.

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

That's doubtful, Terry told me that they didn't have much time to build these pieces (he had a weekend to build the Motion Trackers for example), plus they look very hand-made if you study them closely. The only moulded parts would have been the square tube, the large eye-cup and the smaller dome section on the cup.

Harry

So in short I probably stumbled on a base part they built things out of, but everything was custom hand made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:08 am 
Moderator & screen used

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
So in short I probably stumbled on a base part they built things out of, but everything was custom hand made.

No, that's not it at all.

Because this conversation is running the risk of spreading misinformation about how this prop was made, I can tell you categorically that there's nothing like a 'prism periscope' or anything in there. It's a pretend prop piece, made of some existing plastic parts, and some custom, hand-made plastic pieces, and that's all it is. How do I know? I own the original one. The one worn by Mark Rolston in the film, so I don't know how much more I can repeat myself about this - you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Here are a couple of images to show what the parts are made of.

Attachment:
Arm.jpg
Arm.jpg [ 202.65 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]

Attachment:
CUP.jpg
CUP.jpg [ 464.42 KiB | Viewed 1826 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:26 am 

Thanks for definitively clearing that up harry!!!