The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Last Flight of the Freya 7: a web miniseries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:58 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
A few of you know I've been working on a video project for a bit now. A lot of my prop building has been in preparation for this as well. So here are the first two sneak peek photos of the web miniseries I am helping to create, titled "Last Flight of the Freya 7".

Attachment:
BTSfreya7bridge.jpg
BTSfreya7bridge.jpg [ 288.59 KiB | Viewed 19272 times ]

Attachment:
BTSfreya7bridge2.jpg
BTSfreya7bridge2.jpg [ 244.53 KiB | Viewed 19272 times ]

The goal is to make a six part miniseries with each episode in the 10-15 minute range. So the total run time will be feature length. Eagle eyed fans will spot a few familiar props and visual references even just in these two quick shots, but the series will be it's own unique entity sharing the "used future" look of ALIEN, Outland, etc.

We will hopefully be doing a Kickstarter campaign in the next month to try to get this beast off the ground, but I thought it would be fun to share some of the documentation of the progress we've made so far. For the Kickstarter pitch video I built 2/3rds of the interior of the ship practically so that we wouldn't be relying on greenscreen.
Exteriors will be shot with models with some CGI augmentation (as was done in Moon for example).

The bridge is heavily Nostromo influenced, but the galley (which I also built) has a few more Sulaco references mixed in as well. I'll post more photos when I get the chance.

Really hoping you folks like it! :delta:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:34 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

A quick shot of a pilot from the pitch video:

Attachment:
BTSfreya7pilot.jpg
BTSfreya7pilot.jpg [ 266.21 KiB | Viewed 19264 times ]

A readymade location I'm trying to lock down today. Looks like an abandoned colony or research facility to me!

Attachment:
BTSfreya7readymade.jpg
BTSfreya7readymade.jpg [ 139.85 KiB | Viewed 19264 times ]

And a location I've gotten a green light on:

Attachment:
BTSfreya7structure.jpg
BTSfreya7structure.jpg [ 240.63 KiB | Viewed 19264 times ]

This is an old Cold War relic that is now private property. Getting permission before filming is a must; I've learned that one the hard way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:37 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Very nice and yeah scoreing a place that you are allowed to use is the best. sneaking places and cops coming is not fun at all. learned that one once and a 2nd time someone called us in for High powered weapons lol. even tho they were resin Halo weapons but still funny.

Post subject: Re: Last Flight of the Freya 7: a web miniseries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Holy cow man. That is a TON of work your putting in there. I'm sure the finished product is going to reflect the effort you put into it and everything looks great so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks guys! I've been working on this for nine months now, so it's been a long haul and a lot of sleepless nights. These sets are really just for the promo, but if the project doesn't pan out I'll still have a cool cockpit in my garage!

As promised, here's the galley. Sulaco trays, Hudson's knife and the locker widget are all on display. The leather jacket has the Akira street gang logo on the back, and the drinking bird is obviously a reference to Darkman.

Attachment:
BTSfreya7galley.jpg
BTSfreya7galley.jpg [ 514.93 KiB | Viewed 19256 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:19 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
man i wanted to build full sets like this for the Halo film im working on but we cut the shots due to time, and funding. cant wait to see how this turns out tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Looking great. Good luck with your project.
Please keep us posted.

Frank

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 am 

Awesome work looks great!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:18 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
It all makes sense now, I wondered what all the cool little props you keep coming out with are for - obviously for amazing attention to detail! Good luck with it retrograde, looking forward to seeing it in full :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks guys! Here's some updates:

Attachment:
modelshot.jpg
modelshot.jpg [ 250.68 KiB | Viewed 19202 times ]

This a model for a scene near Narthex space station orbiting Thedus. It is my own interpretation of the Gateway Shuttle glimpsed briefly in Aliens.

Here's the bridge again, this time with a clearer shot of the pilot's seat. Recognize that screen?

Attachment:
BTSfreya7producer.jpg
BTSfreya7producer.jpg [ 369.19 KiB | Viewed 19202 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

In case folks don't know what the Gateway Shuttle looked like, here's a picture off the DVD extras. I matched a good number of the original parts, but went my own way with some of the more hard to find bits. Identical would have been fun, but this way I was able to add some character to it.

Attachment:
2048910726_848ba2fa7b.jpg
2048910726_848ba2fa7b.jpg [ 118.02 KiB | Viewed 19178 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
Freya7cropped.jpg
Freya7cropped.jpg [ 596.33 KiB | Viewed 19143 times ]

So progress pictures on the model of the ship. As I've said before, the Freya 7 is an original design. Partially this is due to wanting to steer clear of any legal entanglements, but also because the model needs to be quite large and making it from scratch is far easier at that scale. The main influence on the design (besides the Nostromo and Sulaco) was the American from Dark Horse's first two Aliens series. My model is quite similar in shape, size and functionality. I'll try to find a pictue of the American for comparison.

I started with a metal and plastic frame to make sure I had some strength.

Attachment:
modelframe.jpg
modelframe.jpg [ 308.19 KiB | Viewed 19143 times ]

Then I started adding metal and plastic elements kitbashed from evry source I could get my hands on. The base level is thin metal sheeting from the innards of an old laptop. This gave some wonderful "vents" and access panels. On top of that, well you tell me what you can spot! 8)

Attachment:
frontmodel2.jpg
frontmodel2.jpg [ 292.1 KiB | Viewed 19143 times ]

This is all just the front of the model, the back 2/3rds represent the cargo trailer and are coming along nicely too. The model is 1/48th scale (I think), and the circular opening on the front will be a docking port like on the Nostromo.

frontmodel1.jpg
frontmodel1.jpg [ 249.6 KiB | Viewed 19143 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm 

Looking mighty fine. Really looking forwards to your progress. :D

What camera equipment will / are you be using ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.02151E1
Outstanding. Gonna light it up? Windows etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks guys!

Osmotic: the camera we use will depend on our funding. The producer on the project shoots a lot of "reality" TV down in Philly and has contacts with some very talented (and creatively frustrated) folk. So what we shoot on depends a bit on who we can get to jump on board.

Padsbrat: lights yes, windows no (or maybe). I was just adding lights this morning as a matter of fact!
My hesitation with windows is that a) they will need to correspond with something on the practical set (which currently has no windows), and b) at this scale ought to show something of said interior. On one hand this could be awesome for selling the scale of the ship, but it could also be a logistical nightmare. Really I need to do some tests to see what works best. For example, if I could play back prerecorded footage on a small video screen inside the model I think that would be really cool. They did that for the Narcissus and Hadley's Hope model, so it certainly has a precedent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:47 pm 

Looks awesome! Great looking ship

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
workingonmodel.jpg
workingonmodel.jpg [ 636.19 KiB | Viewed 19105 times ]

More progress and a sense of how big this thing is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:34 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
The middle rear section of the Gateway shuttle is definetly the arse-end of a Tornado (don't know what Mk and scale though sorry).

Brilliant work so far, outstanding!
Are you doing te whole thing on your own?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
american.jpg
american.jpg [ 150.82 KiB | Viewed 19088 times ]

Here's a picture of the American from Aliens Book Two. It's clearly influenced by the Sulaco, but much, much smaller. The whole back section is a cargo container that can be swapped out. I've used a similar design on the Freya 7.

Attachment:
monkeylogoship.jpg
monkeylogoship.jpg [ 84.81 KiB | Viewed 19088 times ]

In fact, to reinforce the idea of the back being a cargo container I've put a company logo on it (sorry this picture is blurry). You can see it in the photo of me working on the model just above my right eye. The logo is for "Awesome Power Monkey Accelerator", an odd in-joke from my work that I had translated into Chinese. This will get very little screen time, but I think it adds to the sense of realism in a way. Considering the ship's cargo is polydichloric euthimal I'd say the phrase "power monkey" is pretty apt.

Simon: I'm doing a ton of it myself, but I have some other folks helping out too. My wife has her Master's in special F/X so she is doing the makeup, and I've got a good camera guy figuring out the arcane art of miniatures photography. As for the Gateway shuttle, there's a thread on the RPF that identified a ton of the parts. The Tornado is the tail fin and I scored one in the correct scale. Pretty fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Wow...words fail me. Awesome work, just awesome.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
Amazing work Retro. The detail you put into your builds is phenomenal! Good luck with the project! Lemme know you if need any extras... :)

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:09 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
Bloody hell, awesome job all round. This is going to rock.

As already said above me, you have done an excellent job with the models, sets etc and super locations too :D

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:45 am 
Bacon Rapscallion

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
The concepts. models and sets are great. All the hard work is paying off. Having helped to build two fighter cockpits myself, I know about the long hours and the attention to detail. If you need any documents, signage or print goods, let me know. I'd love to help out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:32 am 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.72129E1
Really cool! I recently downloaded the Dark Horse stuff on my iPad...even though I own the original books. So awesome to see ALIENS fans keeping this alive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support. Yellowjacket: any help with labels/graphics would be a great help. Sgt. Kitten: you live in CT now, right? Hmmm... 8)

Here are some crew patches I whipped up. I wanted to reference the Nostromo style, but have it be different from it as well. The ship has a four person crew and everyone will have shirts and coats, so I need to make a bunch more of these!

Attachment:
freyapatches.jpg
freyapatches.jpg [ 128.46 KiB | Viewed 19006 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next