The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:45 pm 

Awesome! Wanna see more, more! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:54 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
The temperatures were below freezing during the day, but we hunkered down and waited for night. At last, we were ready to shoot the first bit of footage for Last Flight of the Freya 7!

Attachment:
nov-teaser1sm.jpg
nov-teaser1sm.jpg [ 596.43 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

This will be part of the Episode 1 pre-credits teaser, but will also be used in our fundraising campaign (either Kickstarter or Indiegogo). Here's a behind-the-scenes picture as well:

Attachment:
nov-BTS.jpg
nov-BTS.jpg [ 209.33 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

We will be filming an interior scene and all the model work to complete this sequence at the end of the month, but this is still a nice step forward. It feel fantastic to finally have some footage in the can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 am 

awesome stuff !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:57 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks Matt! It's crazy how PhotoShopped the WY logo in the background looks, it really wasn't added in I swear! It's nearly 2 meters wide and painted right on the wall. If you look closely in the second photo you can see it as well. Funny how photos can alter reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The pressure suit in the photos was a combination of Nostromo influences, Lee's USCM pressure suit from the Tech Manual (see pic below), and of course what was available for materials.

Attachment:
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg [ 166.54 KiB | Viewed 10738 times ]

The final result has a distinct Prometheus quality too, what with the egg shaped dome, blue interior lighting and red pinstriping. I wanted something bulky and industrial, but with a bit of color to add some visual interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37 pm 

i love it . take more pics of the suit . i would love to see all the detail you have put into it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Hmm, maybe this was the biggest influence of all?

Attachment:
original.jpg
original.jpg [ 29.96 KiB | Viewed 10718 times ]

I didn't have it in mind when designing the suit, but with the Motion Tracker in hand it really does look similar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm 

I remember that Guy in Prometheus ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Some screen grabs from the footage. We were going for a "Dillon" vibe with the glasses, but I think he kinda looks like J.J. Abrams! Depending on how you feel about his reboots of Star Trek (and impending Star Wars), you might root for the Lovecraftian monster during this sequence 8)

Attachment:
mitre1.jpg
mitre1.jpg [ 510.68 KiB | Viewed 10698 times ]

Attachment:
mitre2.jpg
mitre2.jpg [ 345.52 KiB | Viewed 10698 times ]

Attachment:
mitre3.jpg
mitre3.jpg [ 493.68 KiB | Viewed 10698 times ]

Attachment:
mitre4.jpg
mitre4.jpg [ 557.24 KiB | Viewed 10698 times ]

I discovered today that my VP70 was damaged during filming. With the thick gloves (and numb fingers) there were a few hard drops, and cold plastic is brittle plastic. It's nothing I can't fix with some bondo and paint, but it is a real wakeup call on not having backups for key props. Such is the plight of the indie filmmaker though!

In that last photo alone there are contributions from Spat, Noble, Yellowjacket, Dropshipbob, Chef, Sgt. Kitten and Bigbisont. I honestly couldn't be doing this project without the support and talents of this amazing board. :delta:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:23 pm 

awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
The stills look great. I'm looking forward to seeing your first bit of filming. Bring on the trailer!!

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject: Re: Last Flight of the Freya 7: a web miniseries
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm 
Synthetic Humanoid

This is looking good! I like the lights inside the helmet, it has a real Outland vibe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Thanks John! Outland is a huge influence on this project. It's part of the "Holy Tetralogy": ALIEN-Blade Runner-Outland-Aliens! I'd add Silent Running, Alien3, Red Dwarf (Seasons 1&2) and Moon as further entries in the "used future" canon Freya 7 is drawing from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:47 am 
Bacon Rapscallion

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
I'm loving the stills!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

A quick update with a photo of the uniform for Jean-Pierre Broussard, the ship's engineer.

Attachment:
jpbuniform.jpg
jpbuniform.jpg [ 726.43 KiB | Viewed 10643 times ]

The patch is an original design by Fred (AKA Skin Job 66) for a French themed triangle. The compression laces were something I dreamed up to make all the uniform jackets share a certain visual aesthetic.

Note also the Absinthe dripper in the picture: the character of Broussard will be introduced in the ship's galley and I wanted something to evoke the drinking birds and perpetual motion machines seen in the first three Alien films. Seeing one of these drippers in action is fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 am 
Prop Churner Outer

While not quite done, here is a sneak peak of the exterior of the derelict cargo container, docked to Narthex station. This will be the establishing shot for the live action bits I posted earlier.

Attachment:
derelict-sm.jpg
derelict-sm.jpg [ 544.12 KiB | Viewed 10590 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 am 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

Looking good mate, nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:14 am 
Bacon Rapscallion

I love the new French Triangle patches and I look forward to the practical effect scenes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Having a little fun with Legos, I decided to make a model of the Freya 7!

Trying to create small details is a real challenge, but it was fun to actually be able to make the cargo container removable, a function the real model will never have. Of course now I've caught the bug and will have to make Minifigs of all the crew, the Marines they encounter, and a few other surprises from the series. I might even make a display box as though it actually was a licensed set!

legofreya1.jpg
legofreya1.jpg [ 201.7 KiB | Viewed 10483 times ]

legofreya2.jpg
legofreya2.jpg [ 210.06 KiB | Viewed 10483 times ]

legofreya3.jpg
legofreya3.jpg [ 233.45 KiB | Viewed 10483 times ]

legofreya4.jpg
legofreya4.jpg [ 228.32 KiB | Viewed 10483 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:41 pm 
Bacon Rapscallion

Lego Freya sounds like the name of a pop band. That's a great model. One would almost expect it to be in a scene next to a Happy Dippy Bird drinking toy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

That's a fun idea! Maybe it'll end up on the captain's desk. I don't want it "front and center" though as I think it would be distracting if the audience could tell that it was made of Legos, but just as a background detail it could be neat.

Meanwhile I can't wait to show off your latest contributions to the project Yellowjacket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

A panel I was on to promote Last Flight of the Freya 7 can be viewed on the Entertainment Experiment (http://www.entertainmentexperiment.com). EE is the website that will be hosting my webseries, and is a really neat showcase for web media made in my state.

The gentleman to the right of me is on the short list to play PFC Matheson, one of our Marines. He'll need to shave first though!

coastcity.jpg
coastcity.jpg [ 110.41 KiB | Viewed 10387 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 pm 

Can't find the page for it on your link .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Oops! Here's a direct link. My panel is just below the guy who created Axe Cop.

http://www.entertainmentexperiment.com/ ... micon/c9cm

It's a bit long and rambling (I'm one of a dozen or more folks on the panel), so I won't blame anyone who watches the Axe Cop panel instead!

Post subject: Re: Last Flight of the Freya 7: a web miniseries
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 am 
Bacon Rapscallion

That was great. I especially like the line were the one fellow said he was so excited to see you series that he'd tear his own arm off. So very fitting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next