The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Service Uniform Census & Display Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:34 am 
Duke Bronson

I'd like to know just how many Marines are wearing Service uniforms, Alpha, Bravo or Charlie.

Prior to 2006, I think I'd seen only one other person wear a service uniform as part of Colonial Marine costuming. I don't know who it is, but I do believe I saw him in a group photo that predates my first appearance in a Service C uniform.

Image Image

At this time, there was no real set standard yet, and it also predates the formation of the UACM, so I was wearing USCM insignia and also, my original French surname. I had placed subdued rank pins on my shoulders as Gorman has, so this predates also SSgt Burton's standard for the rank patch on the left shoulder. Note, I had a Screaming Eagle pin in place of where we would later to set the standard for the Screaming Eagle challenge coin as the cap badge.

It had been more or less unanimously decided that the green of the trousers that Gorman wore are Rifle Green. This is the colour used by the Canadian Army for our dress uniform.

So, the basically accepted standard set for the Service C uniform:

Canadian Forces forage cap with Screaming Eagle Cap Badge

US Marine Corps Service C shirt, modified with a Mandarin collar and pocket flaps modified.

US Army WWII era khaki rank patch on left sleeve below flag for NCOs,
Subdued rank pins on shoulders for officers.

Canadian (or Commonwealth) Forces Rifle Green Trousers

Gorman's belt was a leather belt, I am, however, not fond of this look. I have adopted a khaki web belt with a brass buckle.

There are variations, some wear a USMC Service C cover with EGA. I personally disapproved of using any non-modified USMC apparel, but... obviously I can't enforce anything like that.

Here is a (discontinued) female Canadian Army headdress that I have prepared for Plastic Princess:

So, let the showing and sounding off begin.

Here's me as my favourite variation, the Drill Instructor:

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Service Uniform Census & Display Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 am 
Duke Bronson

I was asked for a source for the CF Land Forage Cap. You may want to try with William Scully.

http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/v/Products/caps+and+headwear/3-5002_canadian_forces_land.jpg.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 am 
Victor

Attachment:
serviceC.jpg
serviceC.jpg [ 915.1 KiB | Viewed 17039 times ]

USMC Female Garrison Cap (with Screaming Eagle Cap Badge)
USMC Female Blouse
USMC Skirt
Black pumps with 1" heel

USCM Patches

I've recently swapped my Garrison Cap out for a Service Cap (or Barracks Cover, if you prefer).

Attachment:
Service Cap.jpg
Service Cap.jpg [ 117.29 KiB | Viewed 17039 times ]

Last edited by Mole on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
I can tell you now I wont be, in all honesty it would remind me to much like having to wear my uniform at work though the service Uniforms do look great

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:48 pm 
DC DMZ Veteran '99

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.02135E1
Well having all the required nametapes, patches and assorted insignia and with my ticket bought for the Pinewood Drop and facing the likelihood of having to drop in a Aliens Tshirt and not much else screen related, I decided it was time to bite the bullet so. . . .

I just snagged this on the Bay of Evil hopefully it will fit as it's a 7&1/4 and having measured my noggin I'm technically the next size up but I'm guessing there should be SOME give in it! So now I have the headgear just need to find some trousers and a shirt.

I'm guessing that I'll be utilising the inbound set of Polish BDU's for Pinewood though.

Winch

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow I shall fear no evil for thou art with me. And together we'll kick ANY bugs ASS!" :twisted:
You know who you are! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
Oh, you lucky... mutha... fu... :wink: Seriously, though - NICE SCORE!!! Really do hope it fits perfectly. Looks to be in pristine condition. Some guys have all the luck... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm 
Lifer

Mine:

:wink:

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm 
Duke Bronson

Small detail, Vicky... Your cap badge needs a counter-clockwise quarter-turn. The planet should be at the bottom facing upwards. Everything else looks great. I also started with the piss-cutter (aka garrison cap).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:15 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I'm liking this thread. I have absolutely no idea when I would find occasion to wear them, but Service C's have absolutely been on my list and this thread is inspiring me to ramp up my efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Im not trying to go against AL law of what was choosen for the pants but after watching the movie so many times on my TV and Blu Ray. I have come to notice that Gormans pants are not the same shade of green as the Canadian ones that so many are using. To me they look more like the US Army Dress Green Pants. But thats just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
DC DMZ Veteran '99

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.02135E1
Mudshark wrote:
Oh, you lucky... mutha... fu... :wink: Seriously, though - NICE SCORE!!! Really do hope it fits perfectly. Looks to be in pristine condition. Some guys have all the luck... :mrgreen:

Dru if it fits me so badly that I can't use it and you can use a 7&1/4 then you can have first refusal on it! :mrgreen:

Winch

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow I shall fear no evil for thou art with me. And together we'll kick ANY bugs ASS!" :twisted:
You know who you are! ;)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm 
Duke Bronson

cosmo_kraemer wrote:
To me they look more like the US Army Dress Green Pants. But thats just my opinion.
The most easily obtainable Army Dress Uniform trousers while making a film in the UK would be a pair of Commonwealth Rifle Green trousers, same for the forage cap. It may be your opinion, but it is reasonably logical to assume that British Army trousers were easier to find in Great Britain than US Army dress trousers.

I've seen Triumph wearing US Army dress trousers with his Svc C... they are much to light coloured. He has since then switched over to Rifle Green.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 am 

The display plaque reads: Costume worn by William Hope.

Taken at a display of screen used costumes some years back.

Last edited by springer69 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:08 am 
Duke Bronson

Wow. I never thought Gorman was barefoot in that scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:38 am 
LMFAO....

Question on the rank badge...what type do I want, and it's positioned where Kevin's is...left sleeve below the flag?

Also Dom, where did you get a white border Canadian Flag? I got one from Ebay, but not sure what size to get.

Also, what is the exact position of the cap badge...is it in the peak part, or on the flat part just above the visor?

Last edited by Magnus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 am 
Funny, I also have the Blu-Ray and his pants look dark...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 am 
Duke Bronson

Magnus wrote:
Question on the rank badge...what type do I want, and it's positioned where Kevin's is...left sleeve below the flag?

Also Dom, where did you get a white border Canadian Flag? I got one from Ebay, but not sure what size to get.

Also, what is the exact position of the cap badge...is it in the peak part, or on the flat part just above the visor?
I amended my post in regards to the rank patch. What you seek is a WWII era khaki rank patch. It is placed between between the left shoulder flag and bottom of the left sleeve.

I never got a white border Canadian flag. I originally has a US one and currently have the UACM white bordered flag. As for the size, I believe it's a 3" flag.

Position of the cap badge... well, this one's up in the air. I position mine the Commonwealth way as per my previous photo. Other are positioning it the American way, way much higher. The screen accurate way is somewhere in between the Commonwealth placement and the US placement.

I've also added pics of my current shirt for reference.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:04 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

SFC Baldwin wrote:
Commonwealth Rifle Green trousers

As a former Rifleman of the Royal Green Jackets (now known as The Rifles) of the Commonweath forces (or British Army, as we sometimes called it), those trousers were only ever known as Barrack Trousers.

Colours actually varied between Rifle Green and Forest Green, which are supposededly the same, to a sort of nutria brown. All that variation within the same intake, as well...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:00 pm 
Duke Bronson

From Wikipedia:
Rifle Green
Colour coordinates
Hex triplet #444C38
sRGBB (r, g, b) (68, 76, 56)
CMYKH (c, m, y, k) (11, 0, 26, 70)
HSV (h, s, v) (84°, 26%, 30[84]%)
Source Pantone TPX

The source of this color is the "Pantone Textile Paper eXtended (TPX)" color list, color #19-0419 TPX—Rifle green.

The first recorded use of rifle green as a color name in English was in 1858.

"Rifle green" is so named from the distinctive color of the uniform of rifle regiments (a form of light infantry) of a number of European armies, and is still used as such by rifle regiments in many Commonwealth armies, such as The Rifles and Royal Gurkha Rifles of the British Army.

Rifle green was originally adopted by rifle regiments in the 18th Century. As the traditional role of riflemen was that of marksmen and skirmishers who attacked behind the cover of trees, a dark green uniform was adopted as an early form of camouflage, as opposed to the colorful uniforms worn by other soldiers of the period.

Rifle green was the official uniform color of the Canadian Forces (CF) after unification; it was thereafter generally referred to as "CF green"; indeed, the Service Dress uniform of the day was referred to as "CF greens". After the introduction of the Distinct Environmental Uniform (DEU), rifle green remained as the uniform color of the winter Land Environment DEU; a short-lived tan uniform was worn in summer. After the demise of the tans, the rifle green DEU was worn year-round. Rifle Green was also the color of the uniform worn by the Northern Irish Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) until 2001 where the RUC was renamed the PSNI and while the uniform color remained the same, terminology changed to "bottle green".

Rifle green is 19–0419 TPX in the Pantone palette, or hex code 444C38 in the sRGB color space, as shown above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I have a spare PFC WWII era khaki rank patch if anyone needs one (they came as a pair). PM me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:40 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
i just noticed that Gorman was a Straight Shit bag look at that no Creases in that service Top. how are you to promote proper uniform Regs to your Enlisted Marines if you cant even follow Regs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm 
So what do people want to do regarding the pants? I personally think the darker looks more sharp, but availability will help determine it too.

Can we also decide on a cap badge placement?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:42 pm 
Duke Bronson

Keep in mind that this takes place in 2179. Uniform regulations will not be the same in over 160 years... for god's sake, my country's not even that old.

As for cap badge placement, keep in mind that cap badge placement has a lot do with context of country of origin or even regimental traditions, so, I am not a nitpicker on this topic. The real only established standards are rank patch placement and what is the cap badge itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm 
So it would make sense for UACM then to put it with the Commonwealth placement?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
Lifer

Dom- about a member with a Service C before yourself, the only member I can think of is Dropshipbob. I'm unsure of how early this was (2004 maybe?). Perhaps he can chime in. :)

About the cap badge placement- I have mine more on the crest of the cap rather than the band, for the simple reason it was easier to push the clutch pins through the material at the crest. :lol:

Sharp uniform there Vicky! :delta:

Kevin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next