The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: New member: My costume + I wish to do more.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 pm 

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I'm honored to actually post in them. I'm Robert and I'm 18 years old. My first home-made costume was a VERY simply made Xenomorph costume.

Here are some specs:

Head:
-The head took the longest to plan
-Made of paper mache, which covers 2 apple juice containers that are cut in certain areas. The containers are taped and glued to a black helmet. the teeth are made of cardboard, and no other detail.

Body & Tail:
-The body & tail took the longest to make and a lot of time to plan.
-The rib cage, tail, and neck is literally made of a hospital bed. using cut foam material.

Back:
-Contains 4 tubes I simply found in my garage and board that is strapped to my back which hold the tubes to stick outward and makes the unable to bob or fall.

Under Shirt & Arms:
-Contains pieces of tubing to give more of the Xeno's features for his arms.

Legs:
-The legs have no features. It is just black sweatpants.

Paint:
-Simple Black paint out of a spray can you can purchase at Wal-mart

Some extra information:
-This was a VERY BASIC made costume that has taken me 2-3 months to make but under 30$.
-This costume also got me 2nd place in the costume contest at my school (First place being a teacher...yeah...I know)
-I also have had many "Nerf" wars in this costume against my brothers and friends, because, although cheap, it is very durable.
-My eye's look through the neck of the costume, there are no eye holes or mouth holes. It just a ski mask that was cut and is placed over my face. My vision is a bit blacked but I can still see and breath.

I love Xenomorphs and the Alien movies. I want to step up to the next level.
I've been endlessly looking for Xenomorph costume kits. I've looked high and low on these forums and I cannot find any. I must be looking in the wrong places.
May I have some guidance? I have money, and a job. I can afford the costume, I just don't know where the kits are and the "Types" of Xeno's they offer. I also may need a guide to help me put it together. I know what I'm up against, I just need some guidance. Thank you for reading this

~(Robert) MutantWasp

P.s. If you'd like more pictures of my basic costume, I'll be happy to do so. However, to see all of your costumes and then show mine is uhh...very embarrassing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
Hey ... welcome to AL!

I love the costume - making these costumes from scratch is damn hard, especially for $30! (I couldn't do it - I have enough trouble with mine, made mostly from kits). I absolutely want to see more pics.

There are a couple of sources for different Alien kits - Abe is a mongrel; made from two kits plus a few custom made parts. I'll send you a PM shortly with contacts and approx prices to the best of my knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere, man!
You're looking for Monster Room for your Xeno kit, relly... There are a few other options, especially if you want something other than an Aliens type suit... but not many and none as good.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject: Re: New member: My costume + I wish to do more.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:44 pm 

Thank you all for reply so quickly! I'll check out these sources and show you guys more pictures when I get them. I hope to become more active in these forums with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
BOHICA

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.82134E1
heya dude, well done on the costume, no way could I have done that. I have no talent in that field whatsoever, well done you, and good luck on further builds.

Private
UKCM
42 rgmt, 1st Bttln,
Hadrian's Wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:29 pm 
I agree. That's a very well done job. Can't wait to see your MK II...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Definitely feel free to show off your work. We have a wealth of people who would be happy to offer
suggestions on how you can improve your next build (if you choose to do so).

A few members here have also scratch built bug suits, including Spat himself!

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 am 

Hey that's an awesome suit :D I'd love to see more pictures!
I wish you luck in finding a latex kit, I've been looking for over a year haha!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 am 
Duke Bronson

I hate to point out the obvious... but your photo is very dark and lacks details. Do you have other photos to show the work you've mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 am 

Service Number: AO1/TQ2.O.72141E1
for a home built kit,and the fact you're only 18 yrs old,that my friend...is bloody impressive!
keep up the good work,and all the best for the future :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:17 am 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.92150E1
SFC Baldwin wrote:
I hate to point out the obvious... but your photo is very dark and lacks details. Do you have other photos to show the work you've mentioned?

I agree. Throw some light on the subject!

Keep up the work, and don't ever stop building things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 am 
There are Tigers...

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.71260E1
^EVER!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm 

I'll try to add more photo's soon, The photo I uploaded was actually a "tease" photo I had done for my facebook friends at school. I've been working lately and I'll try to get some more photos up as fast as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 am 

Service Number: A7/TQ2.0.22139E1
Dude, it's a great start as far as I am concerned. As David famously said, big things have small beginnings. I do believe that, even though David was full of it. Lol It is certainly better than the Alien suit I NEVER made. 

No ground to give...not 1 inch... Major T. Gunn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:48 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
My best friend and I were making Predator costumes when we were your age (I'm 36 now... yeesh!), and somehow felt the Alien was just too daunting to try. Our Predators were pretty awful in retrospect, but it was a blast to do! I think you have a pretty great Alien going there, but I'd consider narrowing the mouth.

One thing I've considered toying with is that rubber-in-a-can style spraypaint. I just used some on the grip of my shoulder lamp and it seems like a cheap way to make a rubber suit (or parts of one anyway). Just a thought!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:26 pm 

Here is some, what I hope is somewhat better, pictures of the costume. (the pictures were done using a intergrated webcam... sorry I do not have good quality or lighting in these pictures. I hope to get better ones though. the only other camera I had was the Nintendo 3ds camera...that is no good either.)

This is the Ribcage:

-It was made of foam from my hospital bed in oncology. (I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia at the age of 16, but I am 14+months in remission, so I'm all good.)
-The costume was meant to win the Halloween costume contest at my school which it practically did...if the first place prize didn't go to a teacher...

These are the pipes on the back:

Like I said the costume is not perfect or fantastic, but I love it and it works FANTASTICALLY in nerf wars with my younger brothers. (I'll try to get some video, but like I said before I'm short on cameras.)

Sorry about the mess in my basement, I obviously didn't take my time doing pictures, sorry.
I'll try to get some better ones.

Lastly, is this costume in a good enough state to go to conventions with? or would it be embarrassing? (Need honest answers please.)

ONE MORE THING, thank you for all the feedback it means a lot and I'll try to input some of it toward it. I was looking at some of the kits and it's gonna be a while till' I'm able to purchase something like that (maybe toward the end of summer)

Again, thank you guys.

~MutantWasp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:59 pm 
Hey bro, first congrats on beating Cancer...not much can stand in your way now.

I don't have a lot of experience going to Con's, but I think you're fine. I saw all levels of costumes when I went and I think as long as you are happy with it then go. Is it as accurate as some other ones? No, but then again you made it all from scratch, which is an accomplisment.

Besides, everyone starts somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm 

Thank you, Magnus for replying! I was thinking about going to Comic Con in Colorado a while back. I was worried that if I brought my costume with me, It would be...humiliating. (I'm kind of glad I didn't go because that convention was FULL to the point where they were sending people back.) I'm going to consider going next year though... I think it'll be fun.