The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 am 

Country: United Kingdom
Am I posting this in the right place? I decided to give it a shot and make one for iPhone & iPad but wanted to ask for opinions/suggestions from hardcore Alien fans.

Image

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcOMD0qaUg

Yes, it does not track real motion and is a novelty application only. Right now it is fully attached to the device gyroscopes and rotates realistically when you walk around. I also recently updated it to add random movements to the alien dots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZvYEgFBFc

I know it's not perfect (distance reading is placeholder for example) but I intend on updating this once I implement distance readings based off the white dots.

Any suggestions? please post them here, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am 
Duke Bronson
User avatar

Country: Canada
The tone should become higher pitched when the bogies get closer. Other than that, pretty boss. :delta:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 am 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
Is this going to be apple products specific? I have a motion tracker app for my droid phone, and while nifty (also rotates when you rotate, has the sweeping blip) it falls short of my hopes. It NEVER finds enemies to track. I just sweeps emptiness.

You any affiliation with that one?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 am 
Bacon Rapscallion
User avatar

Location: Logan, Utah
Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
Country: United States
That's awesome.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am 
Prop Churner Outer
User avatar

Location: Bath, Maine
Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Country: United States
I need a smart phone...

_________________
Image

:delta: My entry-level prop and costume tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12751 :delta:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 am 
User avatar

Location: long island , NY
Country: United States
I just down loaded one motion tracker to my android. No demos in my house ..sadness. you should put your app on the Google play store please

_________________
Cpl Matthew Rendar. M56 smart gun operator. 2nd bat 7th colonial marines "Rendars Raiders "
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am 
Badass in training
User avatar

Location: London
Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.12146G1
Country: United Kingdom
The one I've got on my Android makes a 'contact' noise, but it isn't the right noise. :(

_________________
-----------------

Image

Image

69th Regt. 1st Batt. Homer's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 am 
Harvester of Sorrow
User avatar

Location: Lancashire (Wirral born)
Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Country: United Kingdom
Is there any chance you could make this work on the older versions of OS?
My iPod is a 1st gen and can't run anything using a higher OS than 2.5 or something (def below 3.2)

_________________
Image AKA: Simon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback guys! any opinions and suggestions all help greatly :) I'll do my best to answer some of the questions...

SFC Baldwin wrote:
The tone should become higher pitched when the bogies get closer. Other than that, pretty boss. :delta:


This is definitely on my list of things to do once I get the distance readings into place :D

bigbisont wrote:
Is this going to be apple products specific? I have a motion tracker app for my droid phone, and while nifty (also rotates when you rotate, has the sweeping blip) it falls short of my hopes. It NEVER finds enemies to track. I just sweeps emptiness.

You any affiliation with that one?


No, I have only made this one and released it for iOS only so far.

MattRendar wrote:
I just down loaded one motion tracker to my android. No demos in my house ..sadness. you should put your app on the Google play store please


I intend to look into porting this to Android. They have a slightly different way of accessing the gyros so a simple port didn't work on my first attempt and requires a bit more work.

Voltane wrote:
The one I've got on my Android makes a 'contact' noise, but it isn't the right noise. :(


This is exactly why I made one myself. No one has made one that felt or sounded right!

88reaper88 wrote:
Is there any chance you could make this work on the older versions of OS?
My iPod is a 1st gen and can't run anything using a higher OS than 2.5 or something (def below 3.2)


I think the bigger issue here is not the firmware but the hardware. Sadly anything 3GS and before (as far as I know) do not have the necessary gyroscopes which I require to make it rotate :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm 
User avatar

Location: Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
Fantastic and absolutely worth the buck I paid. Just a few things to report...

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

What I would love to see...

1)Selectable Modes on the main screen.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 2:Same except targets are not static and will move to marine.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
Thanks for the excellent feedback!

This is what I want to hear from you guys. I will add every suggestion to the box of ideas and think it over what to do next. With that being said, the latest update (1.0.1) that I submitted a while back has finally gone live and includes the ground work to make the dots move more dynamically!

Pepperpete wrote:
Fantastic and absolutely worth the buck I paid. Just a few things to report...

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

What I would love to see...

1)Selectable Modes on the main screen.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 2:Same except targets are not static and will move to marine.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm 
User avatar

Location: Burlington ON
Country: Canada
Just downloaded this to my 4s, WOW, love it! Nice work DemonNite.

Cheers,
Neil.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 pm 
User avatar

Location: Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except they won't come towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. Please understand that I am not insulting your awesome program, just throwing out my feedback. :)



DemonNite wrote:
Thanks for the excellent feedback!

This is what I want to hear from you guys. I will add every suggestion to the box of ideas and think it over what to do next. With that being said, the latest update (1.0.1) that I submitted a while back has finally gone live and includes the ground work to make the dots move more dynamically!

Pepperpete wrote:
Fantastic and absolutely worth the buck I paid. Just a few things to report...

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

What I would love to see...

1)Selectable Modes on the main screen.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 2:Same except targets are not static and will move to marine.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.


Last edited by Pepperpete on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
Pepperpete wrote:
I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. P


+1.

In full disclosure, I dont have an apple device and havent seen it in action, but when you mentioned "dynamic" enemies, my first thought was "like bouncing around?".

If so, I agree with the above comment in that they should simply close in slowly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm 
Matser of Typos
User avatar

Location: Dnever
Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.12141E1
Country: United States
neat!!!! Gonna go dl now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Country: United Kingdom
If you do this for Android, please try and make it run on v2.1 Eclair - The Motorola Flipout I have is about the right size to fit into the slide viewer, making a nifty low-ish cost mod to bring us all working MTs!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
No, please continue with the feedback! this is why I'm here asking you guys :D

For those unsure about what I meant about "dynamic" here is a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZvYEgFBFc

I totally will look into making the dots move towards the "player" and look into the speed. Ideally they shouldn't even appear to move slowly at all, am I right? it should be more of a "phased" movement where they jump forward every few "beeps". But hey, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Pepperpete wrote:
I just tried the new version. I'm not a fan of the dots moving all over the place except they won't come towards "me". Is there any way to have the dots slowly start to move towards the target? They also seem as if they are moving way too fast. Please understand that I am not insulting your awesome program, just throwing out my feedback. :)



DemonNite wrote:
Thanks for the excellent feedback!

This is what I want to hear from you guys. I will add every suggestion to the box of ideas and think it over what to do next. With that being said, the latest update (1.0.1) that I submitted a while back has finally gone live and includes the ground work to make the dots move more dynamically!

Pepperpete wrote:
Fantastic and absolutely worth the buck I paid. Just a few things to report...

When I start the app, sometimes the "contact" sound effect is already playing even though nothing is onscreen. If I hit the X it does go away.

What I would love to see...

1)Selectable Modes on the main screen.

Mode 1:Exactly as it is now. User must tap screen to add static targets wherever they like.
Mode 2:Same except targets are not static and will move to marine.
Mode 3:Targets randomly show up (tap once and only once to start entire routine) and start to move to marine. When a target gets "killed" you can tap that target and it vanishes. The rest of the targets still continuing to close until they are all dead or you are eaten.

So far so good and I think you really have something here! Have you considered using the GPS function to make a simulation where the range etc can in fact move? Just pipe dreams I'm sure. This is already way better than anything I've seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm 
User avatar

Location: Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
You are not wrong at all. Spot on in fact. They should phase as the pulse goes over. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!
User avatar

Location: Rochester, Kent, U.K.
Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Country: United Kingdom
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|

_________________
Steve
Corporal in 69th Regt. 1st Batt. Homer’s Heroes.

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
DemonNite wrote:
Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|


Im not 100% on the ipad1, but I know I had an old sony ericsson cell phone that had movement features that were detected by the camera. Any way you can tap into what the camera is noticing as movement to rotate the screen on non-gyro devices?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
bigbisont wrote:
DemonNite wrote:
Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|


I would guess that the camera movement detected on an "old" phone wouldve just looked for random movements which could not translate into a real direction e.g. it would not know if the movement was left or right, just a blur.

Newer hardware can of course track this a bit better but you mostly find those in for example, Kinect for Xbox 360.

Anyway - iPad 1 also didn't have a camera in the first generation :(

Im not 100% on the ipad1, but I know I had an old sony ericsson cell phone that had movement features that were detected by the camera. Any way you can tap into what the camera is noticing as movement to rotate the screen on non-gyro devices?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!
User avatar

Location: Rochester, Kent, U.K.
Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Country: United Kingdom
DemonNite wrote:
Just by looking around at the tech specs of iPad 1 (and google) it does seem like that it is missing the gyroscopes in the first iPad generation :(

Hearing that Star Walk can "mimic" a similar type of tilt/twist mechanic is interesting and I would love to find out how they achieved this without the gyro chip.

PVB wrote:
With mention of needing gyros in the device, I assumed my version 1 iPad had them (as apps such as Star Walk moves the star field depending where you point/tilt/twist the iPad), but the main tracker screen doesn't spin like it does in that YT vid. :|

If you need me to beta test an update, I'm available. :wink:

Looking forward to more SA updates anyway. 8)

_________________
Steve
Corporal in 69th Regt. 1st Batt. Homer’s Heroes.

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm 
95.2.00 - Adios Man!
User avatar

Location: Wirral, Merseyside.
Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.02160E1
Country: United Kingdom
Very cool.

I'd agree maybe with a sound and icon getting closer. Plus the bleep when a icon is detected the sound is good but makes a burst/swish at the end. Needs cleaning up.

Other than that, very cool App.

Thanks
-Callum

_________________
Sgt C. Kee-McParlin
A05/TQ1.0.02160E1

13th Regt. 1st Batt. 'Freebooters'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Motion Tracker application
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
Want to take a sneak peak at what is coming to the 1.0.2 update?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziv3c4y_duA

Coming soon (once some things are looked at).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: