The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Just about nearly done! There are still a few little tweaks I want to make, but this is essentially what my Dropship helmet will look like.

Attachment:
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG [ 911.42 KiB | Viewed 7508 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG [ 954.29 KiB | Viewed 7508 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG [ 512.98 KiB | Viewed 7508 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2680.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG [ 641.2 KiB | Viewed 7508 times ]

I added a few water slide decals (just as I did with the belt tool and binoculars on my Rifleman build), did a bunch of aging, and added my last name just as Stephen210 did. Thanks to Mike Rush for the name stencil!

The graffiti on the right front lobe is courtesy of my friend Frank Wong from Hong Kong. I was having a heck of a time coming up with something as I've really been focused on my Rifleman build and didn't have a handle on who this Pilot even is. He suggested the motto from Bruce Lee's Jeet Koon Do (translating roughly as "using no way as way" and "having no limitation as limitation"). I then added the fist given that Jeet Koon Do means "way of the intercepting fist". Doing it entirely in sharpie gives it a nice Vietnam era feel.

What do folks think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
It looks awesome man. Amazing to see what you started with and where it ended up.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Quick question: is the '09' too distressed? I wanted it to look utilitarian, but did I make it look sort of slapdash instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 am 
MODEL 120-A2

It looks like the edge of the stencil wasn't down and you had overspray. Me personally, I would have made them smaller and centered more, but that is just my preference. I've seen clear sharp lines on military stencils,and I've seen the blurry edges too. All depends on the look you wanted to achieve.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 am 

Service Number: a02/tq2.0.12143e1
great helmet mate. Im putting mine together now. Very fun build. the 09 looks good but id give it a light sand to weather out the edges a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am 
Prop Churner Outer

This AMAZING helmet was my inspiration for the stencil:

Attachment:
DSCF5416.jpg
DSCF5416.jpg [ 53.9 KiB | Viewed 7482 times ]

Charlie: you called it. I hadn't accounted for the amount of curve there is in the front plate, and my stencil buckled in a few spots. I think I will try again (smaller), and see if I can get a better result. Also I should have checked my notes, I need it to say '06', not '09'. More on that soon!

Trigger Happy: indeed it has been a fun build! My blending skills leave room for improvement, but these pictures make it look worse than it does to the naked eye. I've added a few slight modifications just for fun, maybe I'll snap a few photos to highlight those areas.

As for the rest of the costume, I am going to draw inspiration from the Technical Manual and add a harness over the jumpsuit instead of a flak vest. I have a backstory simmering, so I'll no doubt justify all sorts of EU foolishness.

Trivia: the cloth part is from an L.L. Bean coat (as mentioned before), and the straps are from a military style purse my wife donated. The black rubber circle on the back of the helmet (pic. #3) is the top of an XBOX controller toggle. It came loose after a few days of playing A:CM so I snipped it and saved it, knowing I'd have a use for it eventually!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:51 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
looking damn good cant wait for you back story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:02 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

So here's the basic idea:

Attachment:
004 (13).JPG
004 (13).JPG [ 368.68 KiB | Viewed 7468 times ]

Flashlight (as seen in the Tech Manual), belt tool and quickdraw holster for my VP70 on a harness over the flightsuit. Notice the redone number on the helmet too! I think a belt with some small pouches might be needed too, but I'm just playing with it at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

I like it. I do think it looks a bit empty, but then again, you're a pilot and wouldn't necessary have a lot of stuff getting in the way. Every type of load bearing harness I've used (esp for things like fall protection) has a belt though.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 am 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Looking good so far. 8)

In all honesty, not sure of those gloves though, to me it looks more like you are about to jump on a motorbike. :? :wink:

Martin

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 am 
Dirty Bird

yeah i agree the gloves are off. you need to get a set of nomex flight gloves they would go great with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Totally agree on the gloves. They make me look like a TIE Fighter Pilot. They will go with my deep salvage costume instead!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:27 am 
Dirty Bird

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_737_148&products_id=28290 like i said i think these gloves would be a great addition to this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Those gloves look pretty cool Chris! I also may go the Ferro route though.

So I got inspired by Yellowjacket's design and repainted my VP70. It's no longer SA, but it looked so plastic anyway I decided to just go for it and really make it a companion to my Pulse Rifle.
Attachment:
vp.jpg
vp.jpg [ 295.87 KiB | Viewed 7434 times ]

Post subject: Re: My (no longer) micro-budget Dropship pilot
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
You got a vote for the "ferro" look out of me in regard to gloves. I also agree with the above posted comments about the need of a belt or something to break up the look a little. Love the 'sampling' from the Tech manual though. Damn cool man. Looking awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Here's the Tech Manual pilot for comparison.

Attachment:
dspilot.jpg
dspilot.jpg [ 532.87 KiB | Viewed 7414 times ]

yup, I need a belt. I've got a few surplus options, but I think I want to stay with the plastic snap closure like Gorman and the Marines all used. Shouldn't be too tricky. Any thoughts on those pouches she's wearing? As i'd probably be belting lower I don't want anything that would make it hard to sit down.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:35 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Airsoft ammo pouches?

Or maybe better (for price anyways) "flashbang pouches"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-New-Molle-S ... 19dcbe4b8e

(thinking I am not violating ebay post rules because item is 'buy it now' from online store with multiples available)

Lots of smaller options when you look for "grenade", "fragmentation" or "double pistol magazine" (single thickness pistol pouches probably too small) pouches too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I've just had an idea: I wonder if I could attach my Rifleman belt and webbing to the harness?? All I'd need are a pair of clips at the top for the straps to snap onto. It would solve the belt issue and probably double my potential recognition quotient.

Thoughts? I'll try to snap a photo of the concept.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:59 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
I like the harness!
That's something I'm intending to do with mine. Being a loadmaster a harness is virtually a given.

I also actually like the overspray on the stencil. It makes it look 'real' to me. I see military stenciling a lot. From the manufacturer it's usualy a nice neat stencil. Done locally there's usually a little overspray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:40 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Looking great Retro!

I like the over-spray on the helmet, kinda looks like a field mod.

You may want to make the life-jacket around the neck/shoulders, a bit of canvas stuffed with something and a strip of velcro for the seam should do :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:40 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92155E1
Funny you say that... I also toyed with a life vest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:03 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I just found this coat at the Salvation Army for $3.

Attachment:
coat.jpg
coat.jpg [ 466.5 KiB | Viewed 7336 times ]

It would probably make an okay Gorman overcoat in a pinch, but I have a more radical idea, what if I could make a Flak vest out of it? If I take off the sleeves and shorten the length I would have the basic shape all set as well as plenty of material for making the padded collar and wide placket down the front. I'm thinking two layers of yoga mat would give the rigidity I'd need. I have a bunch of spare waxed canvas with eyelets already in place that I scavanged from my work, so the lace up sides won't be hard to recreate. The detail I'll have the hardest time hiding are those slash pockets, but if I sew them up maybe it won't be too bad.

So am I crazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:13 am 

Great job on the helmet! Love the fist and the stencil work .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Keep it up!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I am dubbing my handmade Flak Vest the "M78" as a way to acknowledge that it is different than the actual military surplus "M69", and also as a fun reference to the time period of Aliens (i.e. this Flak Vest was issued in 2178, a year before the LV-426 incident).

First things first, off with the sleeves! I'm saving these as material to make the padded collar and placket.

Attachment:
offwiththesleeves.jpg
offwiththesleeves.jpg [ 160.7 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

Next I cut off the bottom. I will actually be losing about three inches off the bottom of the coat, but I didn't want to cut too much too soon.

Attachment:
cutoffbottom.jpg
cutoffbottom.jpg [ 167.36 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

I'm using doubled up layers of yoga mat as my padding (shown here just getting the size right).

Attachment:
testfitpadding.jpg
testfitpadding.jpg [ 158.66 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

And here's what it looks like on. I need to make the collar, placket, side laces and sew the whole thing up still.

Attachment:
tryingiton.jpg
tryingiton.jpg [ 84.23 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

And what it would look like with patches on. These are just what I had on hand, not the final arrangement or anything. I didn't have my picture of Spunkmeyer handy!

Attachment:
patches.jpg
patches.jpg [ 114.75 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next