The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Copyrights and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:30 pm 
Hey guys, I thought I'd ask this here as many of you have probably dealt with this kinda thing themselves.

What's the deal on copyrights with Aliens-related stuff? I mean, I'm sure Paramount (or Fox or whoever it is) owns copyrights on Aliens, the creatures, the pics from the movies and all... But what about the Colonial Marines? And the extended universe?

Specifically, because I have the feeling I'm not being very clear here: I'm thinking about writing short stories set in the Aliens expanded universe. So far, it's no one's business if I do that for myself, or let a few friends read them for free.

But: what if I were to have the stories compiled and bound in book format, and sold them, say, to you guys? And I mean at cost, no to make a profit (which I automatically assume to be indeed a breach of copyright) - just pay for the binding and paper.
What would the situation be in this case?

Just curious - I still have a novel to finish before I can even think seriously about starting those stories, but it pays to be prepared. :)

Cpl Saincantin, J. A07/TQ0.0.82143E1

Post subject: Re: Copyrights and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:23 pm 
Ask a hundred people that question, you'll get a hundred different answers. Before you get bad legal advice from people here who will just be guessing, contact a lawyer who specifies in Copyright laws. That's the only way you'll ever know for sure what is actually legal.

Hope that helps!

-Spat
[url=mailto:spat@spatcave.com]spat@spatcave.com[/url]
[img]http://www.spatcave.com/spat.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.spatcave.com/LOGOS/newbanner.jpg[/img]
www.spatcave.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 pm 
Hi m8

If you’re just writing it for enjoyment, and not intending to make money from it, provide it as a download or free e-book. That way you can openly publicise it with no fears of recrimination from the powers that be.

Ages ago I started writing a series of star wars related stories about my own made up Jedi Kinght. I thought nothing of it and a few people downloaded it from my web site and I was just happy people were reading it. Then a competition opened up on the official star wars web site about writing fan fiction, and I sent an e-mail to the corresponding address enquiring whether the story had to be newly writing or something I had previously written and allowed people to download for free from my web site. All the info I included was my stories were about a Jedi called Don Jarr, (hence username everywhere now.) I got a reply back saying thank you for the enquiry blah blah blah, but as your stories reside outside the known star wars universe they are unfortunately not allowed. All stories must be set inside the known star wars universe, and if you were to write something within these boundaries you would be free to submit it.

Now I only have a geocities web site, as I am not to computer web site minded, so nothing to stand out, it gets about 30 hits a week so real small time, I just enjoy fiddling with it really. The only info I gave the guy was my characters name, and my e-mail address which doesn’t relate to my web site. If you type Don Jarr Jediknight into search engines is comes up blank for my web site, but the name does crop up every so often relating to message board posts,but that’s it. So it just goes to show, the powers that be do keep track, (its scary how they know these things, but it seems they do.)

My advice is enjoy writing it and just give it away via the internet. The best thing about writing anything is knowing people are reading it.

:) Don

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:23 am 
Its an interesting question.

I am finishing up my USCM novel and pay one of the internet companies to publish it for me exclusively. Its a hefty price per book but to see your name in paperback print just like a real book - awesome Christmas gift.

Download or eBook sounds good......as for publishing for this board.....I'd say you shouldn't have a problem but like spat said I don't think any of us are qualified to answer 100%
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:30 am 
Thanks for the advice all. I figured I'd offer it for free as downloads - with the option, aside from that, for people who liked them, to get a bound copy directly from me - that I myself would get from lulu.com or something.

Well, free download it'll be (if it gets written, blah blah blah), and anything else will be... well. Nothing to read here, move one, move on!
Cpl Saincantin, J. A07/TQ0.0.82143E1