The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Updates! :)

I have decided that I want a better Service C shirt, so I found a Long Sleeve shirt I will use as a base. I will use the extra material from the sleeves to do the pockets and pocket flaps, then it should have that crisp look to it! :) Just have to order it, BUT!!

I am also putting together a Ripley from "ALIEN" costume for my Mom haha. I want it ready for September since we have eyes on a convention then. I am also working on my own Nostromo shirt as well.

Anyway, I have found suitable items for Ripley and started ordering. I have a blue flight suit and all the patches and pins coming for both of our Nostromo items. The flight suit is just a cheap Rothco one, not the same model as the real deal, We were going for cheap but practical. She will still be recognizable :)

I found some cheap chinese Hightops that look close enough to the part, a couple green t-shirts as well as a white work shirt to do her crew shirt with, and bonus, when she's not wearing it, I can wear it!. In the meantime I have a black shirt that looks the part, just need to add the epaulets and pen loops, taps and sleeve pocket to it, slap a dark Nostromo patch on the shoulder and the Black wings patch like on Ripley's flightsuit, attach the officer rank pin somewhere and presto!

Seeking information with the appropriate people about a resin crew watch for her to wear, and I have 2 racal headsets that need some love and a few parts to put together to round out the look for both of us.

Will post pictures of that as well :)

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:47 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Hi Moosh

Sounds cool but wasn't Ripley's flight suit green in Alien?

Martin

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:16 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Looks blue to me haha

Attachment:
Ellen_Ripley_Alien_1978.jpg
Ellen_Ripley_Alien_1978.jpg [ 17.63 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

I have read somewhere that it was green though... but it looks blue! haha

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:06 am 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Yep in a couple of photos it does looks blue, but it is definitely a green. :wink:

Oh and a pressure suit or parts from one I believe.

Oh and a cool thread on the RPF about the Nostromo crew uniforms

http://www.therpf.com/f24/alien-nostrom ... rms-34755/

Martin

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:34 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Ha, I always thought it was faded blue :) I knew it was like an anti gravity suit but flight suits are cheaper

I guess this is like the pulse rifle, we know its brown but we swear its green haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Just finished adding olive drab Velcro and a small strap with a D ring to my custom Spat holster, I can pull it open quickly now :) it also looks nice too!

Attachment:
null_zps62cf89c6.JPG
null_zps62cf89c6.JPG [ 144.25 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.82149E1
Looks Awesome Moosh!
I'll probably use this method on mine as well.

Akos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That looks really neat Moosh! I'm having a holster made right now and I might try that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Also, if anyone is wondering what the little red thing is, it is a small Metis sash haha

Thanks for the comments all :) Glad you like it as much as I do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Working on some Nostromo outfits still

I found a $12 shirt at Walmart recently that I liked (totally not thinking about ALIENS at all) but when I got it home I realized it had an industrial look to it (perhaps what drew me to it? haha) so I thought of making it into a Weyland Yutani shirt. But once I got working on gathering my Moms ALIEN Ripley costume, I decided it could also work as an "inspired by" Nostromo shirt too.

Attachment:
null_zps2ac067c3.JPG
null_zps2ac067c3.JPG [ 69.73 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

(Pictured with my own Officer pin :) )

I ordered all of her patches and her Officer pin, as well as a Dark Nostromo crew patch for the shoulder of the shirt, and originally I ordered an extra small black wings patch like on Ripley's flight suit but now I've decided that the large wings in grey would look good, and more "traditional". Maybe if it is chilly in September when the convention is I will throw the small black wings on a jacket if we have to wait outside for a bit.

Attachment:
null_zpsbdb71ec0.JPG
null_zpsbdb71ec0.JPG [ 170.3 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

I also ordered us two light olive t-shirts for under our Nostromo shirts

And I ordered her a white Red Kap Mens Pocketless shirt as well to use as the base for her Nostromo shirt.

Attachment:
Red Kap Mens Short Sleeve Specialized Pocketless Shirt - White.jpg
Red Kap Mens Short Sleeve Specialized Pocketless Shirt - White.jpg [ 78.97 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

My shirt and her shirt still need to have pieces added

I thought my costume could use something a little more recognizable so I'm making a hat like Brett's without the gold leaves. I found a blank vintage snap back mesh trucker hat that I ordered, as well as another dark Nostromo crew patch. I need something to help keep my hair out of my face too since I'm not quite happy with it yet. September isn't that far away either so it will more or less still be the same haha.

Attachment:
NEW BLANK NAVY BLUE MESH TRUCKER STYLE VINTAGE SNAPBACK HAT baseball cap.jpg
NEW BLANK NAVY BLUE MESH TRUCKER STYLE VINTAGE SNAPBACK HAT baseball cap.jpg [ 83.06 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

I also plan to order Mom some cheap white high tops, as well as myself a pair but I've run into that familiar problem of finding a pair small enough for me! :[ haha. I'm sure I will find something that will work!

Once I get the refund from her way huge flightsuit, I will order one that fits better, and is green! Should get the refund in about a week or so.

I still need pants so I'm thinking some grey cargo pants of some kind.

I am making my own watch. Will post about that more when I actually do it haha

I am planning to go Nostromo for a day or two, then Marine for another day

Haven't decided what to have as a prop for my Nostromo outfit. I can probably throw together one of the little stick lights that Dallas, Ripley and Ash used to find the facehugger easily enough. I can also try making a harpoon gun too. But I thought of a cute idea of just going with a vintage Tupperware stackable mug haha.

For the Marine, since I just have my Service C outfit, I will just take my VP70 and Spat holster.

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:31 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Tupperware cup, Aspen Beer can, Balaji Imperial cigarettes, Jonesey the cat... lots of props from Alien!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Haha, I really want to get or make a crate like Jonesy's for Mom to carry! Haha! And find one of those sleeping, purring cat toys that look like him to put inside :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:27 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I can't help with the cat stuff, but I have the rest if you need something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Thanks for the offer!

I've got a whole whack of LEDs and some AA battery clips and buttons and switches out the kazoo in my tool box to use, and we have our eyes on a set of vintage tupperware mugs but I'll definitely check in with you for info! Your builds are my inspiration!

Beer and cigarettes might ruffle some feathers at a con, fake or not, although they do look cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 am 
There are Tigers...

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.71260E1
I'm likin' the mod'd spat holster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Update time!!

So! I got more of my Nostromo outfit sorted!

Lets see...

I found a pair of pants that will go perfect with my crew shirt! Good ole Walmart!

Our olive green undershirts came in as well! Looks just like I imagined it would under my black "to be" crew shirt! and almost bang on with the colour to the movie! Plus they are super light and soft!

(picture isn't the greatest, sorry! I will get a better one up soon, when we get the tabs and such sewn on the black shirt :) )

Attachment:
null_zpsc812b393.JPG
null_zpsc812b393.JPG [ 89.8 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

My grey wings came as well. I won't put the shirt patches on until we sew the rest of the stuff on the shirt though

Attachment:
null_zps78b28f68.JPG
null_zps78b28f68.JPG [ 114.7 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

My vintage snap back mesh trucker hat came in, so we sewed the other dark patch on it, and I've been wearing it every day cause it is awesome and I have a hat obsession. I am so glad that it is really an old hat too and not a modern repro!

Attachment:
null_zps7f855a79.JPG
null_zps7f855a79.JPG [ 527.06 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

I'm not going to put the scrambled eggs patches on the visor, I don't want people to think I AM Brett haha, but Brett is definitely an inspiration, as well as Lambert and Dallas

I also scored a set of 4 vintage Tupperware mugs with lids, including the elusive White mug! They haven't arrived yet :( It probably wouldn't be hard to cast one of the others in white food safe resin though :)

Also, we fixed my Service C shirt so it looks a lot better in the pleated back and the collar haha.

Here's what it looked like before (Don't laugh!, it worked for the time being! we didn't know we made the neck way too big! hahaha!)

Attachment:
C27BA62E-C2C9-4D1B-B867-6DD3BDCF1EF1-7265-000007EAB74160BE.JPG
C27BA62E-C2C9-4D1B-B867-6DD3BDCF1EF1-7265-000007EAB74160BE.JPG [ 335.79 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

And now :)

I know it looks short, but it isn't when I wear it, The white t-shirt will be tucked in anyway

Attachment:
null_zps5fe87108.JPG
null_zps5fe87108.JPG [ 128.34 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Tomorrow Moms flight suit should be in, as well as her white shirt. We just need to get time to go get the material needed to alter them

Also gonna do the pants for the UACM Service C shirt, I know I've been putting them off but I need to prod my seamstress to get her butt in gear while still surviving the reprocussions!

I think I am going to try and make Mom a flame thrower to carry. Either I need to find a 3D model of the Alien flame unit, or model it myself to unfold it for pepakura, unless there is already a pepakura version out there. For the greeblies if it is too intense for pep, I can mold them with Fimo or Sculpy. I just bought the Pepakura Designer license so I hope to get some use from it! :)

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MOOSH's Uniform Build (Photos on page 3!)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
Loving the work there Moosh, the collar stitching is a real piece of work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Looking very good i wanted to do it this way but found a easier way that someone posted up saying it was a USCM collar mod lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:59 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Updates on the Nostromo outfits!

Got almost everything needed to do the Nostromo outfits now, all that's missing is my own headset and the lacing and zippers for the back of Moms flightsuit :)

Finally got the material needed for the shirt mods and the light pink piping.

Also got the very very awesome Nostromo watch kit from Matt Noble!, Fantastic kit! Haven't put Moms together yet, but I used the extra bits to finish my own watch since I pretty much finished mine a few weeks back. Once we get back after this weekend I will finish hers :)

Here's what my watch started out as:

Attachment:
null_zps7c6ad953.JPG
null_zps7c6ad953.JPG [ 168.34 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Here is what it looks like now :)

Attachment:
null_zpsf09cb1b4.JPG
null_zpsf09cb1b4.JPG [ 85.97 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

I cut off a bit of excessive strap and cut them into rectangular buttons, because there was no way I could get perfectly round little buttons! It looks good enough! and bonus is it works and can light up different colours, I have it set to red ;)

Put some sticky Velcro on the battery cover and stapled the other piece of Velcro to the half rubber backing that Noble was kind enough to throw an extra one in with Moms kit :)

Bonus that the backing makes the watch fit better on my tiny wrist even on the last hole!

I then took the top of one of the screens from Moms kit and glued it to the top of my watch :)

Also almost finished putting together Moms Racal headset. Just have to drill one screw hole a bit deeper on the one wing to screw it to the headband, but it will have to wait until I get back. Pictures to come of that later :)

*EDIT*

Ahh! I almost forgot, SHOES!! We got our shoes in too! haha. Be damned if I could find some white shoes in my size, but I found some grey and white canvas shoes that will look cool, very retro looking :)

Moms cheap white canvas hightops came in. They have these knockoff Chinese "converse" style red stars on the INSIDES of the shoes instead of the outsides, Can't pull them off but we can put white tape or white paint over them, from the little bit you might see of them haha

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Great progress Moosh! I love the hat and the watch, great details. There's a build thread on www.propsummit.com right now (in the Alien section) for the flame thrower. Lots of great pictures for inspiration.

Where did you get the green under shirt? I'm looking for a couple myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Thanks retro!!

I got the shirt on eBay, it's brand is "Next Level", this one is a ladies. The colour you're looking for is "Light Olive" ;)

Womens Lt. Olive:
https://www.nextlevelapparel.com/womens ... olive.html

Attachment:
Next Level Womens CVC Tee #6610.jpg
Next Level Womens CVC Tee #6610.jpg [ 216.5 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Attachment:
Next Level Womens Boyfriend Tee #3900.jpg
Next Level Womens Boyfriend Tee #3900.jpg [ 209.2 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Mens Lt. Olive:
https://www.nextlevelapparel.com/mens/f ... olive.html

Attachment:
Next Level Mens CVC Crew #6210.jpg
Next Level Mens CVC Crew #6210.jpg [ 230.25 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Attachment:
Next Level Mens Cotton Crew #3600.jpg
Next Level Mens Cotton Crew #3600.jpg [ 220.38 KiB | Viewed 5934 times ]

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:49 am 
BOHICA

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.82134E1
very cool:)

Private
UKCM
42 rgmt, 1st Bttln,
Hadrian's Wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:04 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Updates again :)

Over the weekend I finally wrangled some "Sewin' time" out of Mom, I printed off a pattern I found on the RPF for the Nostromo shirt conversion and had her add everything from it except for the breast pockets to my existing Wal-Mart shirt, so the epaulets, sleeve pocket, name tape border, chest panels, and pen loops. Also managed to sneak in some patch ironing for my shirt and her flight suit as well.

Everything went to plan pretty much aside from 2 minor hiccups, one being that we followed (I followed) the pattern but somehow someone (likely Mom haha) screwed up on the name tape border panel and the space in the middle ended up wayyyy narrow, which I totally expected, that's why I wanted her to work on my shirt first, being that it is black and will hide mistakes well, so when we get to her shirt, which is white, we have experience. I'm cool with it anyway since it will never be used and its so hard to notice, you probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't mention it!

Also when she was trimming threads on the pen loops she cut a V shaped hole through the shirt HAHAHAHA!!! Luckily I had some iron on repair patches, in forest green, so we cut a small piece and ironed it on the inside, you can hardly tell its there, and bonus is we stuck a taller pen over it in the loops so it is not visible at all now.

Aside from mishaps, we still manage to have fun doing this, even though I have to watch her like a hawk! haha

Here are the finished photos of my Nostromo costume.

A better shot of the green undershirt which I promised to take, it's a Ladies "Next Level" crewneck, see up a few posts for a safe link to the Mens version on eBay. The colour is true to the shirt:

Attachment:
DSC_0270 png.png
DSC_0270 png.png [ 998.55 KiB | Viewed 11374 times ]

Looking at the pattern haha

Attachment:
DSC_0271 png.png
DSC_0271 png.png [ 963.76 KiB | Viewed 11374 times ]

My outfit :) (with "Trouble", a.k.a. Black Jonesy)

Attachment:
DSC_0286 png.png
DSC_0286 png.png [ 998.06 KiB | Viewed 11374 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0287 png.png
DSC_0287 png.png [ 970.57 KiB | Viewed 11374 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0290 png.png
DSC_0290 png.png [ 925.28 KiB | Viewed 11374 times ]

Still need to finish my own headset. I am having mine 3D printed, so I need to finish the design and order it so it gets here in time. Also I want to print off the decals for my white Tupperware mug but want to wait until I can use the rest of a sheet so it's not wasted. Need to think of other decals to print. Also want to finish making my Balaji Imperial cigarettes and get the awesome pack made up, and my outfit is finished! I was so tempted to put it on last night!! hahaha!

Today I got the zippers in for the back of Mom's flightsuit, just have to get her to add them this weekend so we can suck it in around her waist and make it less baggy and more like the anti gravity pressure suit used in the movie. Still waiting on the laces I ordered for it too, those should be in Wednesday or Friday.

I tried to assemble her Nostromo watch kit from Matt Noble, an amazing kit, but every glue I tried didn't work, I tried some white all purpose craft glue, super glue and then hot glue. I will get it conquered soon. Totally nothing wrong with the kit, its just my inexperience putting something like it together haha. It was the nylon strap that wasn't adhering to anything, it just soaked up the glue and never stayed sticky. Luckily I also have a whole roll of webbing so it wasn't a total loss to mess up the webbing that came with it.

Thanks for reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Looking great Moosh! I had a hard time finding a glue that would hold the watch together too. I can't remember what I eventually used, but I'm not sure even now if it would stand up to extended wear. It's much more of a display piece. Such a nice detail though!

So, would your mom be up for a third shirt conversion? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:54 pm 
The Good Looking One

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.72144E1
Great stuff its really looking tbe part :-)

Cheers
Coop

"Civies We are Leaving"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next