The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Pulse Rifle shoulder stock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 pm 

Hi All
Had the day off and decided to get my shoulder stock going. Tried a few weeks ago and it didnt go so well. Bending 16 gauge steel proved to be difficult at best. First attempt was unsuccesfull. bent the metal but broke the handles on my bender and stock came out way too wide. So I hit on another idea. I made new measurements then used a dremel tool with two cutting wheels attached and scored the lines where I wanted to bend the metal. Worked fantastic. Metal bent where I wanted and got clean sharp lines. Here are some work in progress pics.
Attachment:
First try not so good
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG [ 575.14 KiB | Viewed 4178 times ]
Attachment:
second attempt and bending nicely
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG [ 692.6 KiB | Viewed 4178 times ]
Going to cut smaller peices out to reeinforce the corners on the buttstock to give it strength. drags a little on the side rails but im going to add black felt under the top of the stock or washers when its time to install. Any and all opinions welcome!

And Done! (Well not really but getting there!)
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG [ 180.96 KiB | Viewed 4178 times ]

Coming along nicely
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG [ 645.79 KiB | Viewed 4178 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle shoulder stock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm 
BANNED USER

Service Number: BANNED-USER-2024
propmainiac wrote:
Bending 16 gauge steel proved to be difficult at best.

Really? What kind of tools are you using to try to bend this metal?
I have a 20 ton press for doing work like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Couldn't make me one could you? Cheers :D

Looking good so far buddy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 am 

Im using a bending brake that i bought from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. It mounts to the workbench and is hand operated. 18inches long i belive. I think I found the key to making it easier by grinding a line where i want to fold it. Also just added two L-shaped peices in the corners on the inside for reinforcement. Dont have a working weilder at the moment so i drilled two holeson either side of the corner and screwed the L shaped peices in. once they were tight i cut and ground the heads off. Ill probably fill the gaps in with jb weild and body filler. Or might try my hand at brazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 am 
BANNED USER

Service Number: BANNED-USER-2024
I'm going to have to make one of these to fit on my real semi-auto thompson, so I'm interested in how yours turns out. How are you going to have the slots done? Are you going to use a drill press, or have a machineshop do it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 am 

Hi Arron
Im gonna do the slots myself and probably use a drill press. I have a shopsmith machine that has a drill press attachment. I figure Ill drill and make the holes and then use a rotary tool for cutting the slots. Also i have a air file i may use also. Im using plans that bugstomper posted here a while back. Im going to make it adjustable as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.32147E1
i just got my pulse rifle in the mail on this past Wensday from Evike.com, yeah its airsoft but it still fires, be it the plastic BB's but its still a projectile. keep up the good work on the stock. Oh, to finish out my uniform and gear, i bought a working version of the portable welder, screen acurite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 am 

Hi Windu
I looked at the Evike Pulse Rifle and did some serious thinking about ordering one , but Im so far into this build now its become my mission to finish this. My Thompson is Airsoft as well but has good weight. Im keeping it intact so It fires.

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle shoulder stock (More Pics)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 am 

Hello again
Had a little time today to work on the stock. Storms knocked out power here for a day. Had to run around locating a generator for myself and mu father in law but I got power back so I decided to do some work. I reinforced the corners with metal. I then used solder and filled the gap on both sides. I filed the solder down and I will fill any remaning imperfections with a thin coat of automotive body filler. Here are more progress pics!
Attachment:
IMG_0077 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0077 (640x480).jpg [ 159.25 KiB | Viewed 4054 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0078 (480x640).jpg
IMG_0078 (480x640).jpg [ 152.96 KiB | Viewed 4054 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:08 pm 
In the pipe 5 by 5

Looking good. It's going to be a ***** to drill the oblong holes in there though. How will you tackle that aspect?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Yours already looks better than mine did. I, too, used 16 guage steel. I tried to cut the shape as one piece and bend it using a 'sheet metal' vice grip tool. DISASTER. I ended up scrapping the mangled mess and just cutting out two 'L' shapes, then welding in the top.

of course...the problem with that version, is im not a good stick welder! so it was pretty hacked up too. The body filler is a good idea. Somehow it never occured to me.

Image(my raw one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 am 

Hi dosent look like a bad welding job to me. I used to work in an auto body shop years ago. I have an arc welder but it has some issues and im not that good with it yet. The solder was a lets see if this works kind of thing. I plan to use a drill press to make the inital holes and then cut the rough shapes with a dremel tool. Then to smooth out the shapes I have an air file. I used the same method on my steel barrel vent. I went through a lot of dremel discs wen making that. This time i used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade to get the stocks rough shape.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 am 

Attachment:
IMG_0082 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0082 (640x480).jpg [ 184.58 KiB | Viewed 3955 times ]
Hi All
Havent done much this week. Been very hot here and Im not spending much time in the shop but I have managed to make some progress. I cut the buttplate shape, added the brace (i guess thats what you call it allthough its just for looks the stock is very strong!) and added the sling ring. This peice came from the thompson foregrip. I cut it in half. The other half is on my barrel vent. Heres more pics Enjoy!

Attachment:
IMG_0084 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0084 (640x480).jpg [ 184.24 KiB | Viewed 3955 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0083 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0083 (640x480).jpg [ 177.21 KiB | Viewed 3955 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0082 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0082 (640x480).jpg [ 184.58 KiB | Viewed 3955 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That looks amazing! Someday I'm going to have to move past resin and start getting the parts for a metal PR too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:45 pm 

Thanks! This is the first PR Ive ever built so Im trying to do it right. The only problem I have is im using a airsoft SPAS cage. Its the larger one but still one or two cm short but Ill make it work. Its attached to the thompson and racks back and fourth. When I get the money hopefully I can get a real SPAS . I wouldve used plastic for the stock but I wanted it to be as strong and as close to the screen used ones as possible. Working with metal has its advantages and disadvantages. Once I start the slots im going to burn through a LOT of dremel discs!
Joe