The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Attachment:
counterguard1.jpg
counterguard1.jpg [ 791.72 KiB | Viewed 4654 times ]

So here's a quick update: I've been sanding like crazy, but I also wanted to get the counter finished. I built the raised counter guard out of plastic sheet, and then edged the part that frames the LED with the metal off some old floppy disks. When I painted it the final time I masked a few parts of the metal with Play-Doh (I'm a dad, there's always some kicking around) so that after the paint dried I could peel them off to reveal some actual metal. The red bit is part of a document folder, a suggestion Spat made on another thread. Works like a charm!

Rebuilding the rest of the counter area was interesting. I started using automotive putty, but I couldn't get an even finish so I switched to steel epoxy. Much better for getting a smooth result.

I still have a lot of sanding to go, and more areas to fill in with putty, but I'm really itching to get a coat of paint on this thing. Rick now it reminds me too much of the old Laser Tag rifles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Okay, I finished rebuilding the area around the LED. As you can see Some of the silver metal is showing through on both the plate and the two bolts. I used tiny silver brads for these.

Attachment:
rail3.jpg
rail3.jpg [ 414 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]

Now I'm working on the slide mechanism for the grenade launcher. I found this ready-made piece in my basement and with a little trimming and some steel epoxy I was able to fit the handle to it. It lowers the handle about 1/4 of an inch down, but it doesn't really look that different. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the whole thing mounted on the PR.

I've now filled in all the gaps with putty and done 90% of the sanding that I need to do. Rebuilding the barrel and vent will be my next big task and then I just have the trigger(s) and adding loops for the sling before I'm into the painting and detailing phase.

What do folks recommend for a finish to keep the paint from scratching off? I'm finding that any little bump or scrape is taking off the paint at this point (revealing the lovely white resin).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
handle.jpg
handle.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 4603 times ]

Some updates: I've painted the grenade launcher handle, so now it is ready for final mounting on the PR.

I've put a first coat of OD on the shrouds. The flash messes up the color so I'll have to take one in the daylight.

I drilled a screw into the front where the barrel will go to help anchor it. I will then build this up with steel epoxy to make it strong.

The fourth picture is of some of the pieces of my new barrel and vents. The barrel is a metal pipe cut to match the angle of the shroud, and the vents are plastic. I'll be finishing the details with epoxy. I still need to get a small piece of pipe for the very front of the barrel, but I do have a piece of metal for the support.

I'm still having issues with the paint coming off pretty easily, any suggestions for how to fix that? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Regarding the paint, did you wash it all in soapy water? There may be mould release still on it.

OR

Your not letting it dry properly before handling.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I thought I gave it a really good scrub in soapy water, but now I'm worried I didn't wash it well enough. When I went to mask the black areas to paint the OD I found that masking tape was pulling the black right off the resin, and that paint's been on there for a week. Not cool. Can I use a matte sealer of some sort to give it some protection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

I'd take the paint off and put a decent primer on, re-paint then put a matte sealer on it.
I no expert mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Primer! That would have been a good idea...

I hate to do it but your probably right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

#I think# your meant to prime it, then sand it, then prime it again, then sand it, then paint it.

Always remember: The more you do now, the less you do later fixing it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 am 
Prop Churner Outer

You mean I can't just keep adding layer after layer of spraypaint to it? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Its an option....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I'm seeing visions of Meryl Streep in "Death Becomes Her"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
painting.jpg
painting.jpg [ 577.11 KiB | Viewed 4571 times ]

Painting the "back side" of the PR. Still using old Play-Doh as a cheap mask!

So I discovered that I really was just touching the paint too soon as now I'm not having any issues with it.

The second photo shows the front side in the day light. I still need to finish the barrel, but that's coming along pretty well. I'll get some photos up tonight of that process.

I need to finish the battery panel too, and then all I'll have left is the trigger. I've saved it for last in case I ran out of time (I want this done in time for Prometheus), but I think I can swing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:33 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Looks great mate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:25 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Simon: I just realized I got the slide idea for the grenade launcher from you! Mine will be a bit clunkier than your box cutter, but it's the same concept!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:27 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Haha!! Well I'm glad I could be of assistance! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
vents.jpg
vents.jpg [ 87.36 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]

A quick shot of the barrel and vents roughed out. Almost entirely metal construction on this which makes me happy.

Attachment:
trigger.jpg
trigger.jpg [ 87.42 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]

And now I'm working on the trigger. I had a pair of these widgets lying around, so we'll see if I can get one to work for the main trigger. I really don't know if I can make a moving trigger for the grenade launcher (much as I want to) just because of how little room I have to work in that area. I still might try though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:10 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
ventandtrigger.jpg
ventandtrigger.jpg [ 495.28 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]

Barrel and vents are done and the grenade launcher handle is attached!

Now I am drilling out the trigger area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

It's been three years almost since I last posted about this resin PR project. It was my first prop build and I decided it needed an upgrade:

Attachment:
10410535_10203865214926322_4695019872463511280_n.jpg
10410535_10203865214926322_4695019872463511280_n.jpg [ 78.51 KiB | Viewed 4347 times ]

That's Bigbisont's spare steel stock. I sawed the resin one off, drilled deep into the body of the PR and made room for the metal one to fit in.

Attachment:
11054395_10203865213486286_8098880920612601597_n.jpg
11054395_10203865213486286_8098880920612601597_n.jpg [ 72.82 KiB | Viewed 4347 times ]

I need to paint it, clean up the end and really securely fix it place, but what an improvement already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:34 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
OOOO Modding is alwqays fun adn wow you did one hell of a number moddign this thing to look so damn nice. keep it up Retro.