The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Armor kits and sizing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:56 pm 
I'm thinking about doing another USCM suit for halloween this year and I want to bunce a thought off you guys. I bought a set from Steel Dreams - Westerfield Studios 3 years ago and finishied it. The only thing is that I am a size 44 chest and the armor looked a little small. Thats when a friend told me that this armor was a 4th gen pull of one of the female actors TE armor and thus was scaled for a woman. Has any one else found this to ring true? Secondly I remember a maker in the UK who does a set of armor (Resin). Send me a link.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Armor kits and sizing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:21 pm 
According to Terry English ( Original creator of the armour ) all the sets made for the movie were the same size.

Not sure about a resin set, don't think I like the idea of that.
But John Riddel does fibreglass stuff, when he's not booked to the eyeballs with commissions.

My current set is Spatcave vacformed.
Very nice / comfy it is too.

And I ain't the smallest of guys...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:31 am 
would love an email address for Mr. Ridell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm 
You'll be lucky if you get a reply from Ridell this year. No slam against him, he's a busy guy. All the times I emailed him, it was many months before I received a reply.

Seems that each set of armor out there is sized differently. And if they come from a mold, each time you pull a copy from a mold, it grows a tiny bit smaller.

Can't advise you on which would be best for someone your size, although Spat's armor seems to fit just about everyone of average to small frame.

I know the resin armor you speak of. I wouldn't recommend getting that if you want to wear it. Resin is pretty unforgiving of impacts and it has almost zero flexibility.
You would be much better off with either fiberglass or vac formed armor.
"How lucky are the few who know where they belong."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:29 pm 
There are at least two sizes -- the smaller sized were made for women are obviously shaped slightly different to accomodate a coupla things. :P
[img]http://www.scifimilitary.com/MAA/SFMsig.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:09 pm 
Possibly that's the case for replica sets of armour, but we specifically asked Mr English about the "The Alien War sets were moulded from Deitrich's armour, so they're smaller than most other sets as the original was made for a woman" story that goes around.

He categorically denied that there was any variation in the sizes of the armour he made - Being metal, it could be slightly bent to fit each person slightly better, but the sizes were identical across the board.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 pm 
I wear a Westerfield-Steel Dreams Studio armour... and I'm VERY happy with its size.
[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/60214227/large.jpg[/img]
<span style="color:lime;]Cpl. Dom "SharP" Beaudoin - USCM Charter Service Number Registrar
<span style="color:yellow;]Need a USCM service number assigned to you? E-mail me at [url=mailto:cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com]cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com[/url]

[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/44202312.jpg[/img][img]http://www.pbase.com/image/43856922.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:28 pm 
But Dom, you didn't mention that you are only 4' 11''. :(

[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ssgtburton/USCM/SmallDom.jpg[/img]

You know, when I first met you at Toronto Trek, I thought you would be taller. :P :roll:

;) ;) ;)

Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm 
HAHAHA :lol:

wow, i'm at least a foot over kevin so dom, i hope i don't step on you in sept :P

pain can be avoided by not caring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:36 pm 
Kevin, I'm so proud. (wipes tear of joy)
What are you doing with a gun in space?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:02 am 
Just so the thread is not completely jacked on my account...

The seller that you might be thinking of in the UK selling resin armour goes by global_uplink_uk on ebay.

Haven't seen any resin armour from him though.
Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:39 am 
For the resin armor I think wearing it would be.............well very restrictive.

The ABS, fiberglass and Styrene armor you can get has a certain play to it that lets you move a lot more.
Resin armor..............great for display but not to wear.

As for sizing.........I don't know whos armor was based on whos but I'm about 6'0 and 220lbs and Spats fits me fine.
Not much hanging out everywhere ;)
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 am 
:lol: Holy S* it's Oompa Loompa Dom
Quote:
Quote:I thought you would be taller.
Awww... FY. :)
<span style="color:lime;]Cpl. Dom "SharP" Beaudoin - USCM Charter Service Number Registrar
<span style="color:yellow;]Need a USCM service number assigned to you? E-mail me at [url=mailto:cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com]cplbeaudoin@hotmail.com[/url]

[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/44202312.jpg[/img][img]http://www.pbase.com/image/43856922.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:42 am 
I've started this discussion before. and unless hicks is really skinny, his armour (as seen in the promos) wraps completely around his sides. For it to be protective, it shouldn't have gaps. Terry wouldn't have made this mistake. Think of his design with the lobster tail and neck armour (never used). All the soft spots are protected. (Well, come to think about it... what happened to the ass?)

I'm sure he must have used a sized template in the case of women and men. What would really help is if someone with TE armour would chime in and give us a comparison with theirs to some FG or sparmour.

I have a set of the old FG (Richie's?) and Spat and they are the same size. The Spat is more flexible, but doesn't have the kind of detail FG has.

I've been pondering getting the Hicks size armour from MAA. It's suppose to be a couple of inches longer in length and around.

Dave
Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:06 am 
You can ask STEPHEN 210 or Dropshipbob about that. Steve has every kind of armor that's been made or yet made. ;)
[img]http://www.scifimilitary.com/MAA/SFMsig.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 am 
Menatarms, could you email me a pic or two of your armor? lear60man@aol.com I could of sworn I heard TE at comicon in 95 say that each piece was custom made for the actor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:26 pm 
"For it to be protective, it shouldn't have gaps. Terry wouldn't have made this mistake."

As I said earlier - the question of armour sizes came up when we were with Terry at the Leicester event, and he mentioned a few times that while the armour was flexible enough to have been bent slightly to fit each actor's physique, each set was manufactured identically. He only had a few weeks to get all of the suits done, so custom fitting each one to each actor's measurements wouldn't have been feasible.

Unless he's been telling different stories at different events ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:33 pm 
The TE armour (Aluminum) fits like a glove. Being able to bend it where you need to fit your body size. light weight

The Spat armour (ABS plastic) also fits very nice because it will flex around the sides when you sinch it or let it out to meet the need. Lighter weight

The JR and the MAA armour (fiberglass) you have to heat and shape to your sizing needs. Then it fits very nice. little heavier due to the resin. but Outstanding details.

The JR armour we all know was cast off the Deitrich's armour.
I was told that this was her stunt armour. It was used in the shot where the alien pulled her up. The neck area was cut lower (scooped down) on that set only so that the actor would not get choked by the armour when she was lifted. (just what I heard.. Harry any comments...)

The MAA larger armor (figerglass) Too big for me. I just finished up building a set and there is a lot of room in the chest and body core area. I am 5'10" and waist approx 33" chest 40. So you could say "lean". It would fit someone with a larger core area and chest much better. I would say someone with a 44 or bigger chest.
Fiberglass cast with silver slush coat, so you can chip paint away and looks like aluminum. very cool effect.

Well that is what I know about the current armour on the web.
Hope that helps
Steve

Side note. Weirsbouski (spelled wrong but you know who I mean) is a pretty big boy. Someone might want to compair his armour on screen with frost. I think there are some picture of them next to each other. Just a thought.
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=stephen210>stephen 210[/url]  Image at: 7/27/06 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:10 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Menatarms, could you email me a pic or two of your armor?

www.scifimilitary.com/for...c.php?t=30

Russ

"There's nothing worse than people desperate to have fun."
-Patton Oswalt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 pm 
Quote:
Quote:You can ask STEPHEN 210 or Dropshipbob about that.

Yep, for my money, MAA's set is right on the money. It's sturdy, which is what I was really wanting, and the detail is great. Haven't gotton around to finishing it yet, but so far, so good. :)
"How lucky are the few who know where they belong."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm 
Where's Friendlyskies when you need him?
I think his is pretty accurate...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:40 pm 
Boot to the head...

;)

Russ

"There's nothing worse than people desperate to have fun."
-Patton Oswalt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:20 am 
OW!

ZATFUR,Y'BUGGER?!
*Sobs*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:23 am 
Quote:
Quote:You can ask STEPHEN 210 or Dropshipbob about that. Steve has every kind of armor that's been made or yet made.

I have two of Stephens sets and they are Diets size. I'm 46 chest and 36 waist so I'm a little beefy for these sets.

Dave
Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:30 pm 
Most of the armor out there is sized to Dietrich. Even Dom's looks like a casting of Dietrich's armor. I have a set of MAA's "Man Sized" set and it is really nice. It is much bigger than the Dietrich sized sets. I think I posted comparison pics of the 2 chest plates on here once.

The Hi Impact and Fyberdyne sets are the same as the JR sets of armor.

The great thing about USCM armor is that it is fully adustable, so it fits a lot of people.

My Terry English armor was sized to fit me. That was one of the options Terry gave me.

Steve