The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:34 pm 

Damn, this thread is old!
I haven't had the time to get back to my Smartgun build, but I'm getting up to speed since my Pulse Rifle is... *gasp* ... nearing completion! :shock:
Stay tuned, I have a few surprises coming soon! :-)

But still, this is the "stupid questions" thread, so here we go:
Where does the idea come from that the smartgun has an ammo counter?
I've seen lots of builds using an ammo counter in the cover of the drum mag, but it definitely wasn't in the movie and it definitely wasn't on the original smartgun.
I really like the idea, and it does seem that the drum cover was intended to house a counter, but where does this idea come from?
Is it the video games? Or the technical manual? Or any other source?

Also: so what's the size of the ammo counter?

Cheers!
Roman

Post subject: Re: Stupid questions about smart gun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:23 pm 

Very good question.

Have not searched too deep, but found this...
2010 AvP Video Game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:57 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Here is a quick vid I did of my setup as I get ready to clean up the wiring and get things more con ready. I had a routing issue and had to buy a zing display mannequin to get things sorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6wmexBy0fw

And yes it does show how I got the sould lamp to mount.

Also it is a little off because there is a flag pole mount to steady the mannequin throwing the mount positions off slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:03 pm 

TS826 wrote:
Very good question.

Have not searched too deep, but found this...
2010 AvP Video Game.

That‘s what I was thinking about too.
But, alas, it seems that the idea was first thought up here on the AL boards:
https://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2614

That‘s not the first post mentioning a smartgun counter, but it does give a nice „background“ to the idea. I don‘t think the counter was seen any earlier, i.e. it wasn‘t on the smartgun in the 2001 AVP2 game…

Cheers!
Roman

Last edited by Xhiwar on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:06 pm 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Here is a quick vid I did of my setup as I get ready to clean up the wiring and get things more con ready. I had a routing issue and had to buy a zing display mannequin to get things sorted.

Also it is a little off because there is a flag pole mount to steady the mannequin throwing the mount positions off slightly.

That‘s great! But it looks like that‘s your very own version, I‘m more looking for info on how the smartgun counter was conceived in the first place.

Cheers!
Roman

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:18 am 

Xhiwar wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

That‘s great! But it looks like that‘s your very own version, I‘m more looking for info on how the smartgun counter was conceived in the first place.

Cheers!
Roman

The back plate was how I figured out how they mounted the shoulder lamp. To my knowledge there is no good documentation on how they mounted the shoulder lamps on the smart gunner setups.

I had to add the strap down to the belt as I suffer from a condition known as no ass at all or droopy drawers syndrome.

The counter was in the drum magazine itself. At least in the games it was that way. The problem I have found is that there is not a display setup that is small enough to fit into that housing. My setup was a compromise on accuracy versus functionality.

The heads up display is fully functional as is the gun camera. I also separated out the airsoft functionality from the ammo counter and lights, and added the speaker to the shoulder lamp. The art is in the cable routing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:51 pm 

Alright, here goes:

Anyone looking for accurate Smartgun parts? Stay tuned!
Attachment:
SG3D.jpg
SG3D.jpg [ 221.43 KiB | Viewed 4630 times ]

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:03 am 

Just to clarify: I will not be producing any parts, my goal is to create 3D models of several of the "add-on" parts in order for people to have the parts machined or 3D printed to upgrade their MG42.
I will upload the parts (i.e. rear block, trigger housing, drum cover, camera, and possibly the muzzle add-on) in the next few weeks on my site (www.pulserifle.net).

However, I did invest a significant amount of time to make these as accurate as possible to the screen-user Smartguns (not the Propstore version); I am striving to get the most accurate parts, so if you see anything that I missed or something that is not correct, let me know and I'll improve the model!

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:27 pm 

Xhiwar wrote:
Just to clarify: I will not be producing any parts, my goal is to create 3D models of several of the "add-on" parts in order for people to have the parts machined or 3D printed to upgrade their MG42.
I will upload the parts (i.e. rear block, trigger housing, drum cover, camera, and possibly the muzzle add-on) in the next few weeks on my site (http://www.pulserifle.net).

However, I did invest a significant amount of time to make these as accurate as possible to the screen-user Smartguns (not the Propstore version); I am striving to get the most accurate parts, so if you see anything that I missed or something that is not correct, let me know and I'll improve the model!

Cheers!
Roman

The problem I have had with accuracy is that the electronic bits do not exist yet. I had to adapt and substitute.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:32 pm 

Xhiwar wrote:
I will upload the parts (i.e. rear block, trigger housing, drum cover, camera, and possibly the muzzle add-on) in the next few weeks on my site (http://www.pulserifle.net).

Cheers!
Roman

I will assist however possible. The issue we run into making things functional is how we can minimally modify stuff to not affect looks one little bit but add full on functionality.

I would only add that the electronics market has changed significantly in the past decade, stuff not even thought possible is very easy as we are starting to focus on STEM and trades instead of college with our kids now and the electronics are built to aid in young tinkerers and innovators...

I never thought I would design a handheld game fascimile that is fairly close to game accurate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:17 am 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xIhn-nWUd-E

This is the matsucorp unit I have and the measurements for it

I think the speculations/rumors on matsucorp where that he might have been involved with MRG and HCG in producing some of their stuff and that said these measurements so it may be the same with those replicas as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:07 am 

Xhiwar wrote:
Alright, here goes:

Anyone looking for accurate Smartgun parts? Stay tuned!
Attachment:
SG3D.jpg

Cheers!
Roman

I found this model on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3160499

Looks decently accurate.

CGtrader had this one:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/mili ... t-crossbow

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:33 pm 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
I found this model on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3160499

Looks decently accurate.

CGtrader had this one:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/mili ... t-crossbow

Hi there!

I can't say much about complete Smartgun 3D files, I'm only trying to get the parts done that are not "found parts" (i.e. not the MG42, not the footpegs, not the motorcycle parts etc., but only the trigger housing, rear block, magazine cover etc.). I'm still working on that, my Pulse Rifle took precedent, but I might get some more done in the next few weeks.

Cheers!
Roman