The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Everything you wanted to know... about Zebo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:55 am 

This is sort of a Ready Line, Off topic, and PX thread rolled together.

From all I've understood over the years, the original sets of armor were weathered with "Zebo brand stove polish", once manufactured by Reckitt & Colman.
It was discontinued about 15 years ago. But, on the quest for accuracy, I've spent those same number of years routinely looking for an authentic tube of Zebo,
with little luck.
- (If anyone happens to have a lead on some authentic Zebo, please let me know)

While trying to find that, or the closest match to it, I've gathered this interesting info along the way...

Reckitt & Colman first made "Zebra" brand Stove Polish. The formula put a layer of carbon black and graphite onto the surface,
making the stove look black, yet with a pewter-silvery satin gloss finish.
Hence the name "Zebra"... A combination of "Bright and Black".
Attachment:
Zebra01.jpg
Zebra01.jpg [ 233.7 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

(The Yellow and Black Stripe pattern is borrowed from the blue and white design of the "Brasso" polish, also once made by R&C.)

In the 1920s, Reckitt & Colman next released "Zebo" polish.
(Which was named after Zebo, the Zebra mascot)
Attachment:
Zebo01.jpg
Zebo01.jpg [ 289.92 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

"Reckitt & Sons" became "Reckitt & Colman", in 1938.

Finally, "Zebrite" was released in 1952, apparently the only difference being a name change, and was only available in paste tubes.
An attempt to phase out the tin cans.
Attachment:
Zebrite01.jpg
Zebrite01.jpg [ 208.88 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

The "Reckitt & Colman" company, having been bought, sold, and transformed, no longer makes any of the Stove polishes.
Zebra brand went off the market sometime mid-century.
Zebrite was discontinued around 2003.
And finally, Zebo went off the market around 2008.

- Finding the Closest Match -

Zebo and Zebrite had a creamy black mixture formulated from fine graphite, carbon black, a wax binding agent and a small amount of solvent to keep it fluid when applying.
I have learned the problem with modern products, such as "Hotspot", is they are water-based and water-soluble. As such, they quickly dry hard and solid, preventing them from
buffing up to the same visual appearance as the original formula, due to the water-based binding fluid.
There is one available wax-based polish, made by "Stovax", but apparently does not use the same formula as Zebo once did.
The difference is the amount and shape of the graphite. Current wax based products use a very tightly controlled flake.
Zebo is more irregular (and thus closer to spherical).

The conclusion among the stove restoration and stained glass communities, is that all modern polishes result in an overall black color and do not leave the same blended metallic, pewter-silver and black hues. I further read, the original formula for Zebo is only found in a single shop in South Africa.
With the belief being it is much better than the modern U.K. equivalent.
With a little digging, I found the place referred to is "hornbills.online" and their product is called "Zero".

Attachment:
Zero01.jpg
Zero01.jpg [ 176.7 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

After sharing some info and messages with the shop owner, I am told:
<< Zebo and Zebrite formulations are the exact same ones as we use. We now produce Zero, which is a direct replacement for Zebo, using the original ingredients.
The only difference is the finish solvent. Zebo used fluorotetrafluoride [being a fluorocarbon, it is now banned]. We use mineral turpentine instead.
Other than that, the constituents and method of manufacture are exactly the same: Fine ground carbon graphites, a binder, paraffin waxes and a drier.
The original recipe goes back to the early 19th century and was developed from lamp black into a polish for cast iron stoves.
Much as it was made 200 years ago, it is cooked for about 3 days and it takes over a week to cool down. >>

* There you go.
Everything you wanted to know, or not wanted to know... about Zebo.

I now have on the way, much more than I will need.
If there is any interest, and a decent way to send them, I'd be happy sending out quantities.

Post subject: Re: Everything you wanted to know... about Zebo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:55 am 

Woah! :shock:
That's some cool info. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Cheers
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:37 am 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
Cool info, and always keeping my eye out for it.
Thanks for the research and great read.