The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question on Webbing Widths
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
Hi everyone, last question for the weekend.

So I am now in the position to start ordering the various bits of webbing for my USCM armour and wondered if anyone had a list of the various widths needed or used. I am primarily working on the torso at the moment.

Many thanks in advance


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question on Webbing Widths
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:47 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Country: United States
shoulder and other bits are 1 inch. belt and side pieces are 2 inch.

Knoxville foam and fabric sells by the pound and they ship stuff out. They sell remnants from tnwebbing.com which has a order minimum.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question on Webbing Widths
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am 

Country: United Kingdom
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
shoulder and other bits are 1 inch. belt and side pieces are 2 inch.

Knoxville foam and fabric sells by the pound and they ship stuff out. They sell remnants from tnwebbing.com which has a order minimum.


Brilliant. Thank you. I thought they could have been 2" and 1" but then the more I looked at reference photos that people have been kind enough to send me I convinced myself that they were 1.5" and 3/4" etc lol. Its so good to have people like yourself that can measure stuff for us newbies :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Question on Webbing Widths
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Country: United States
I had to figure that out on my own when I built my goldenarmor.com set. two raw sheets of vacuum formed plastic with barely useful markings. That was before I knew of spat and how much time money I could have saved buying armor from him...

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
there are actually some 1.5 inch . In theory you would need webbing of all three 1", 1.5" and 2".

I did my first 2 builds with 2" webbing on the rib buckles, but Terry himself uses 1.5" there, so I reckon that is correct. You def do need 2" for the shoulder areas and tabs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:54 pm 

Country: United Kingdom
bigbisont wrote:
there are actually some 1.5 inch . In theory you would need webbing of all three 1", 1.5" and 2".

I did my first 2 builds with 2" webbing on the rib buckles, but Terry himself uses 1.5" there, so I reckon that is correct. You def do need 2" for the shoulder areas and tabs.


Do you mean 2" for the straps holding the front and back plate together? What about the webbing holding the shoulder plates together and onto the torso armour? Cheeky question but could you summarise which widths go where on your build please?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:05 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Country: United States
side rib buckes for me were 2 inch as were the belt. grenade belt clip and other bits were 1 inch on my build. Wider = stronger. Where folks can't see webbing size is not as big of an issue.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
ronin677 wrote:
bigbisont wrote:
there are actually some 1.5 inch . In theory you would need webbing of all three 1", 1.5" and 2".

I did my first 2 builds with 2" webbing on the rib buckles, but Terry himself uses 1.5" there, so I reckon that is correct. You def do need 2" for the shoulder areas and tabs.


Do you mean 2" for the straps holding the front and back plate together? What about the webbing holding the shoulder plates together and onto the torso armour? Cheeky question but could you summarise which widths go where on your build please?


Alright, its a bit slapdash as it was done very quickly, but here are some shots.

Regarding the rib buckles, here is a pick of my first metal set next to a Terry English set. As you can see, the 2" buckles are fine, but look a tad large. On my 2nd metal set I would use 1.5" buckles like Terry Does.
Attachment:
Buckle comp 1.jpg
Buckle comp 1.jpg [ 231.11 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]


Here are some inside shots of Terry (top) and my 2nd metal set (bottom) just for a general idea of the internals.
Attachment:
TE inside.jpg
TE inside.jpg [ 99.48 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

Attachment:
my inside.jpg
my inside.jpg [ 372.84 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]



For some real-time video, check my youtube series. I cover the required webbing and buckles in the "required extras" video.
https://youtu.be/_9NJzMEhgVY
I detail the strapping in the "strapping" video.
https://youtu.be/QCVLwlbojX4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:50 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Country: United States
bigbisont wrote:
ronin677 wrote:
bigbisont wrote:
there are actually some 1.5 inch . In theory you would need webbing of all three 1", 1.5" and 2".

I did my first 2 builds with 2" webbing on the rib buckles, but Terry himself uses 1.5" there, so I reckon that is correct. You def do need 2" for the shoulder areas and tabs.


Do you mean 2" for the straps holding the front and back plate together? What about the webbing holding the shoulder plates together and onto the torso armour? Cheeky question but could you summarise which widths go where on your build please?


Alright, its a bit slapdash as it was done very quickly, but here are some shots.

Regarding the rib buckles, here is a pick of my first metal set next to a Terry English set. As you can see, the 2" buckles are fine, but look a tad large. On my 2nd metal set I would use 1.5" buckles like Terry Does.
Attachment:
Buckle comp 1.jpg



Here are some inside shots of Terry (top) and my 2nd metal set (bottom) just for a general idea of the internals.
Attachment:
TE inside.jpg

Attachment:
my inside.jpg



For some real-time video, check my youtube series. I cover the required webbing and buckles in the "required extras" video.
https://youtu.be/_9NJzMEhgVY
I detail the strapping in the "strapping" video.
https://youtu.be/QCVLwlbojX4


We need to work on updating the costuming guide. In the past few years we have had some awesome threads and documentation popup.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 am 

Country: United Kingdom
bigbisont wrote:
ronin677 wrote:
bigbisont wrote:
there are actually some 1.5 inch . In theory you would need webbing of all three 1", 1.5" and 2".

I did my first 2 builds with 2" webbing on the rib buckles, but Terry himself uses 1.5" there, so I reckon that is correct. You def do need 2" for the shoulder areas and tabs.


Do you mean 2" for the straps holding the front and back plate together? What about the webbing holding the shoulder plates together and onto the torso armour? Cheeky question but could you summarise which widths go where on your build please?


Alright, its a bit slapdash as it was done very quickly, but here are some shots.

Regarding the rib buckles, here is a pick of my first metal set next to a Terry English set. As you can see, the 2" buckles are fine, but look a tad large. On my 2nd metal set I would use 1.5" buckles like Terry Does.
Attachment:
Buckle comp 1.jpg


Here are some inside shots of Terry (top) and my 2nd metal set (bottom) just for a general idea of the internals.
Attachment:
TE inside.jpg

Attachment:
my inside.jpg



For some real-time video, check my youtube series. I cover the required webbing and buckles in the "required extras" video.
https://youtu.be/_9NJzMEhgVY
I detail the strapping in the "strapping" video.
https://youtu.be/QCVLwlbojX4


Amazing info. Thank you so much :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: