The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Another Alien Roleplaying Game?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
I've just found out about an Alien RPG that was released in 2019 by a company called Free League Publishing. There is a core rulebook and a number of supporting products. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it any good, or does the rulebook have content worth getting as source material?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am 

Production values are quite good. I haven't gotten to play it, but from what I understand the mechanics are quite good. Lots of actual play videos on YouTube. The rulebook itself is quite attractive, with extremely evocative artwork, which really sets the mood. Background info is interesting. They have managed to fit all kinds of stuff from all the movies and the EU into it. It seems clear to me it was made by fans of the franchise in all forms. I'd say the main rulebook at least is definitely worth the purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 am 

More info at https://alien-rpg.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 am 

They're about to drop a new Cinematic scenario called Destroyer of Worlds that has all the characters as Colonial Marines.

Post subject: Re: Another Alien Roleplaying Game?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:09 pm 

I absolutely love Alien RPG. I run a biweekly game on our Twitch channel based around CMC.

Some things I love about Alien RPG:
1. The Stress system. Its awesome. Adds a lot of flavor to the game.
2. How squishy you are. Yep, its easy to die.
3. The book is absolutely gorgeous. There's a ton of stuff in it too to run whatever kind of world you want. So much back story.

Some things I didn't like much, but just went ahead and changed things.
1. Lack of tactical combat. This is great for Space Trucker or civvie adventures, but with Marines, you want some important tactical bits. Everything is done by Zones with little respect to positioning. We changed that pretty easily. Just use a five-foot grid and set a distance for the 'ranges'.

I literally think that's it. I love combat rules and the game was kind of lacking in that regard. Some of the combat rules didn't quite make sense. For example, if you roll a Panic on a stress die, you run out of ammo. So lets say its your first shot from an M56. You are now out of ammo. Didn't make sense. Yes, you could explain it thematically (forgot to run a full belt in, etc). Instead, I just modded it so that now on the first time, you jam. On the second time, you run out of ammo.

Some of the rules weren't expressly or clearly stated, but again, that just leaves it up to the GM.

Overall, HIGHLY recommended. The FEEL is there and that's the most important thing.