The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: PS5/XBOX backwards compatibility
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:23 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
There are rumors abounding that both platforms will be backwards compatibile with all previous console versions. Sony is pretty much intimating that the PS4 stuff will work from the get go and lots of rumors along with everything else prior as well.

This will breath some life back into Aliens Colonial Marines.

And a few other games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:10 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
I'll be getting a PS5 at launch, if there's different models I'll be going after the higher-end model.

I've been looking into all the speculation about backwards compatibility with a ton of optimism. I'm not sure Aliens: Colonial Marines will get any new breaths of life due to its rocky at best performance, but I do have my copies of Alien Trilogy and Alien: Resurrection for PS1 waiting along with a ton of nostalgia. I would like to revisit Alien Vs. Predator (2010) over Aliens: Colonial Marines. AvP2010 was a really cool game and the multiplayer was fun but suffered from terrible matchmaking and not saving XP earned.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re: PS5/XBOX backwards compatibility
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:05 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
This has been promised with every new generation of console systems. It has been done to some extreme several times but removed. I agree with Moosh that the game will not see any breath of life unless it is upgraded which would take a miracle. It is all just speculation till the systems get released. If it backwards capability happens that is great as I have a box full of old games. As of right now I have my PS4 and 3 hooked up currently so I can always throw those more recent games in. I am looking for being able to replay the earlier generation of games.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am 

If I remember correctly the XP save issue was due to the particular game engine they went with. They did fix the buggy AI after 5 years when they found a semicolon where it should not have been.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 am 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Do not get your hopes up for playing PS3 games out of the gate. Xbox could be a different story.

Quote:
Xbox may still hold some advantage over PlayStation in this area because the PS5 probably won’t be able to run PlayStation 3 games (outside of streaming via PlayStation Now), while the Xbox Series X will benefit from the work that was done to make 360 games run on the Xbox One. But what matters most is the Xbox One and PS4’s libraries, which both include no shortage of remasters and ports from the previous generation anyway.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-are-both-backward-compatible-and-thats-a-big-deal

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:53 am 

gman666 wrote:
Do not get your hopes up for playing PS3 games out of the gate. Xbox could be a different story.

Quote:
Xbox may still hold some advantage over PlayStation in this area because the PS5 probably won’t be able to run PlayStation 3 games (outside of streaming via PlayStation Now), while the Xbox Series X will benefit from the work that was done to make 360 games run on the Xbox One. But what matters most is the Xbox One and PS4’s libraries, which both include no shortage of remasters and ports from the previous generation anyway.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-are-both-backward-compatible-and-thats-a-big-deal

Thanks!

Greg

I think there is another argument. With the ease with which folks can emulate older system a copyright argument can be made if folks can not play it, then there is no claim to copyright. The abandonware argument. I have not seen it hit the courts yet but I have strong suspicions someone or a group will propose the argument further encouraging all console makers to ensure backwards compatibility across the board for all consoles past and present.

Plus looking at the retro arcade market, console makers are starting to realize that they can make serious bank by re-releasing older titles for the enthusists wishing to relive younger parts of their lives.

There are tons of rumors about full backwards compability with the PS5 and with the processor patent.
https://screenrant.com/ps5-backwards-co ... s1-rumors/

https://www.newsweek.com/ps5-backwards- ... -4-1341335

The argument and discussion can go either way but doing hardware emulation on the hardware/processor level seriously amps the ability to emulate and in theory on that though you could arguably run say NES and SNES games, or with custom usb adapters run any manner of old cartridge based systems like with the retron 5.

Now the server architecture for ps4 and ps3 is going to be the real kickers as they have shut down all the ps3 game servers if memory serves. What does that speak for the ps4 servers? Wil it by a hybrid deal as system model won't matter which simplifies the support model?

Online functionality aside there are tons of retro single player and local cooperative titles that many will look forward to enjoying in the future regardless of console used.

Let time see what we really get!