The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Spat - I use that too!

Not sure on those specs as they seem to be estimated ones based on the game engine.
I'm expecting the final confirmed specs to change, so whatever the game ends up with, I'm slowly buying the bits to make a rig that will (hopefully) eat two of them for breakfast... at the same time!

Upgrade anyway - It's fun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
The Hanger program is available. If you have backed the game, you will be able to don a spacesuit and walkaround the interior and exterior of whatever ship you have. Pretty rudimentary, as far as interface goes, but the visuals look pretty good.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm 

Just remember, the Hangar module and your ship(s) are pre-Alpha. This is far from being finished, so expect even more wow!!

Post subject: Re: Star Citizen Thread - New Sandbox Space Combat Sim/FPS M
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:02 am 

The Gladiator and Retaliator bombers are up. I had to melt my Caterpillar down and get a Retaliator. I think it's the best looking ship in the game now. Looks completely awesome and is spacious inside. I still need to buy a Hornet package to go with it. I don't have a game package atm, just this ship and some extras. :P

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Retaliator

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Gladiator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 pm 

Updated Hangar module, seemingly with additional outfit too.
Thinking of buying a third ship now...

Really hoping I get my rig updated before the dogfighting module is released!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
So I really want the Constellation, but can't ever justify paying $225.00 for it... Will you be able to buy it when the game launches for game credits?

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Moosh89 wrote:
So I really want the Constellation, but can't ever justify paying $225.00 for it... Will you be able to buy it when the game launches for game credits?

They have stated that all these items will be available in-game on launch. It should take the appropriate amount of in-game money to purchase it (which can either be earned by playing or purchasing to your account). Some of the items may be extremely limited and/or really hard to get, and some items can ONLY be earned in game. (All of this is subject to change of course). But the Connie is pretty much the flagship of RSI products, so I can't see it not staying available.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 am 
Mobile Mayhem

That's what I was hoping :) Damn fine ship! Haha

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 am 

I want to like the constellation. It's an interesting ship but I can't get over the way it looks. And I don't understand why they didn't just do a rear cargo access for it like the freelancer instead of the Rube Goldberg fighter and cargo unloading mechanism they worked up. Now the Retaliator looks amazing. I think it, the Gladiator, and the Caterpillar are the best looking ships so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am 
MODEL 120-A2

The Connie isn't really designed as cargo ship. It's much more of long range explorer and/or gunship than a hauler. As CR said, it's the rolls Royce of the RSI line.

I do agree that the caterpillar is an awesome looking ship. But I missed the widow for that one so I won't be seeing it in the hanger anytime soon. :(

Charlie

Post subject: Re: Star Citizen Thread - New Sandbox Space Combat Sim/FPS M
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 pm 

Thanks Alien1099 just received my gifted package. Really looking forwards to playing this.

So many ships so little money :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:

Game credits (UEC or United Earth Credits) are currently 1,000 per single USD. So $20 gets you 20,000 UEC.
The current word from the SC community is that, post-launch, in-game ship purchases will be three times the current real-life purchase cost.
So your Constellation currently at $225 will be 675,000 UEC in-game.

If you don't already have a starting package for the hangar module and can stretch to $275, the Rear Admiral is an excellent deal - Along with the Constellation, you get six physical collectors' extras, Alpha and Beta access (so can head out and get some flight/combat practice in before the game even releases), as well as several digital download extras... plus the download of the finished Sqn 42 and Star Citizen game as well.
I'm tempted myself and am expecting some cash fairly soon. If it comes along before the LTI deadline, I'll seriously consider nabbing this.

However, it comes down to two things - Your budget (if any) and what you'll be playing as.
If you want big-ass guns in a combatty big ship, the Idris would be a far better option.

At 35 tons, the Constellation is a freighter/salvage ship more than anything else. It's kinda big, kinda slow and requires 4 crew... it even carries a little fighter to help it out in combat. I'd reckon two Hornets could drop it with relative ease. One, if the pilot is pretty good.
However, it has plenty of upgrades, can still move some and deal out a respectable amount of damage. In Freelancer, this would have been something like a Dromedary, I reckon.

I was actually debating which ship to blow my (possible) bonus on with the more experienced members of the community. Constellation or Freelancer sounded good.
A pure dogfighter like the Hornet or perhaps the Avenger sounds great in principle, but their opinion is that these are more like heavy gunships (Blackhawk, perhaps?) in that they do heavy damage and work great for jousts, but there will be lighter and faster ships that can outmanouvre them and better suited to anyone who isn't a pure PvP dogfighter. The 300i and the 350 racer seem to be the favourites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:03 pm 

Also, have you *seen* the sort of small arms that will be available??!!
This is the UEC Marine with issued Behring P4SC assault rifle:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13321-Jump-Point-Marine-Rifle-WIP

I'd have preferred a bullpup and think that the barrel is bloody short on this thing... but I still want one!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

Is there a point to getting a subscription now, or wait until the game comes out?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 pm 

Spatman wrote:
Is there a point to getting a subscription now, or wait until the game comes out?

You mean the actual Subscription packages, or the ship pledge packages?
I assume the latter as Subscriptions are mostly insider, behind the scenes sort of things, mainly for seriously interested parties. You get VIP stuff, free stuff, exclusive merchandise, your name in the game, etc.

The latter is not so much a subscription as a one off purchase/investment. You buy a ship or a pledge package.

More than anything else, your purchase is funding the game.
The more money they get, the more stuff they can feature. Already they're supporting things like the Occulus Rift... and when you fly up close to your team mate you'll hear them talking on the intercom, but their webcam will track their face and make their in-game character's face follow the same movements and expressions!!

The basic ship packages feature in the downloadable Hangar Module preview, ie you can look around your ship(s), be amazed by such awesome early graphics, wonder at how stunning this will be when finished, etc etc. Every time you buy another ship, your hangar automatically expands in size and you get to look at all of them. You can also buy decorations, extra weapons and stuff, including a little spacey golf buggy for those hangars that are just HUGE!
But that's it for now. When the game is released, you still have to buy that but you will have this ship and anything else (including your hangar) already available.

Pledge packages include not only the ship, hangar and all the above, but also the eventual finished game as well.
You also get various stuff like early pre-release Alpha and Beta access to the game, digital downloads (or real ones, if your package is large enough (fnar fnar)) of things like maps, manuals, novels, behind the scenes info and several months of free in-game insurance. You get early test packages of things like Dogfighting, upon which you can give your feedback, so have input on how the game eventually turns out. They also give little rewards for certain milestones. For example, the 20mil mark rewarded people with 20,000 credits each, I believe.

In short, most of the stuff (less so the expensive package physical items) can be bought with in-game credits that you earn... but you will start from scratch, *possibly* without even having your own basic little ship. Buying this stuff now means you can jump straight in.

How much money you want to invest in the game and what ships/packages you want depend on how much of a Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer/general space-sim fanboy you are, I guess. I'm planning a massive overhaul of my gaming rig to something seriously powerful and, if I can dig out the money, I'll be buying several more ships. I'm a pretty big fanboy. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:23 am 
Mobile Mayhem

This game sounds pretty amazing, I've never really played a space-sim before. I'm just getting into PC gaming again although I prefer Playstation consoles, so this is going to be very "new" to me.

I'd love to help fund this more and get the Constellation as well as the Starfarer, but I don't know how often I can actually play it so that kind of price is quite expensive for a "maybe I will, maybe I won't".

I'm pretty excited still! I just hope my computer can run it. I literally know nothing about computers, "spec-wise". That's where my brother comes in. I prefer laptops, and I just got one recently. Jon says it is pretty good, but I hope it can at least run Star Citizen decently. If not I will have to save some "gaming money" for some upgrades! Maybe Jon will do it for free ;) haha

Here is what I have

Specifications

Operating System
Windows 8 64-bit

Processor
Intel Core i7-3630QM (2.4GHz)

Chipset
Intel® HM77

Memory
12GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM

Display
17.3" FHD 1920x1080

Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage
2 x 750GB 7200 RPM

Optical Drive
Blu-Ray DVD Combo

Card Reader
3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ MS/ MS Pro/ MMC)

Camera
HD camera

Wireless LAN
802.11 b/g/n

Ethernet
10/100/1000

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0

Interface
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
4 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x SPIDIF speaker out
1 x mini Display Port

Audio
Built-in Speakers And Microphone
Built-in subwoofer

Battery
8 Cell 5200

Power Adapter
AC adapter

Dimensions
415 x 320 x 17 ~52 mm

Weight
4.5 kg (with 8 cell battery)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Spatman wrote:

Yes. The subscription packages are not for gameplay; they are additional ways to generate revenue for the teams. When you subscribe you get access to certain areas of the website restricted from non subscribers. This includes the vault where there is a lot of behind the scenes concept art including the wire frames. Jumppoint which is a monthly magazine that CIG puts out (about 60-70 pages an issue; interviews, pictures, development, fiction). Monthly Q&A with design team and CR. There is also the Den which is a subscriber only forum. You a skin for your ship (Centurion or Imperator depending on what you subscribe) and if you subscribe for at least 12 months, your name becomes an NPC somewhere in the game.

If you want more info and contct with the designers, totally worth it. If you want the game and don't care about the other stuff, probably not worth it.

Yes, I'm a subscriber.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 am 
MODEL 120-A2

And Moosh that system seems fine. I'm running something similar (except an AMD chip) and I have 16g ram instead of 12. Graphics card is the biggest issue for the game; I have the exact one you do and I can run the hanger maxed in 1900x1080 with a frame rate somewhere around 60fps.

One thing to consider is that this will definitely be more of a flight sim than most other MMOs I know of. A flight stick will most likely be a necessity.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:56 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:
This game sounds pretty amazing, I've never really played a space-sim before.

If you fancy having a go at an easy-ish one first, I heartily recommend Freelancer.
It's basically a forerunner to Star Citizen and done by Chris Roberts himself. Graphics are pretty and there are still online servers running it. It runs off a keyboard and mouse.
Starlancer was the forerunner to that, but is more just a jet fighter sim in space. It runs off a joystick.

Moosh89 wrote:
I'd love to help fund this more and get the Constellation as well as the Starfarer, but I don't know how often I can actually play it so that kind of price is quite expensive for a "maybe I will, maybe I won't".

I'm almost guaranteeing that you definitely will!
But if you're in any doubt, stick with one or two of the lower end packages like the Aurora and 300 series. One of those alone will provide adequate means to earn the purchase price of a Constellation in pretty short order.

If money is no object, get the Starfarer, but certainly for much of what you seem to be interested in doing, the Freelancer (named after the game, of course) far outclasses the Constellation in many opinions and is more affordable. Less crew required too!

Your specs look pretty good, apart from maybe the graphics card. Don't know if you can upgrade as it's a laptop, though. Not always possible.
Easiest way to check is compare your PC (this is quick, automated and free) against the SysReqsLab specs for Crysis3, which is the same engine as Star Citizen will use:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/crysis-3/11526/?p=a

If you meet the minimum, you should be OK. Might just have to lower the game settings a bit.
If you want to see the higher end, check the SysReqs tabs for Recommended and Optimal specs too.

17.3" FHD 1920x1080
If it works for you, great.
I have a 21" monitor and it's... okay... Most games are fine, but for Star Citizen and all its massive expanses of open space, nebulas, systems and generally awesom vastness, you might want to consider something bigger... maybe 24"-27". Obviously this would be an external monitor, connected via your '1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin' bit. You can even get some DVI monitors that will accept a VGA adaptor.
Completely up to you, though as it's more a cosmetic luxury than an absolute essential.

802.11 b/g/n
Depends more on your broadband speed and your ping to the server. Speedtest.net and the like will give good (and free) assessments.
If you live in a fairly densely populated area, you shoudl be fine. I get 1.5mb on average and I can still play games on Russiand and US servers with minimal lag most of the time.

1 x HDMI
Or forget what I said about a large monitor and possibly play this on your massive flatscreen TV instead!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 pm 

SGT KITTEN wrote:
One thing to consider is that this will definitely be more of a flight sim than most other MMOs I know of. A flight stick will most likely be a necessity.

I'm still hearing conflicting advice (and can't access RSI forums from here).
Some say it's joystick only, while others reckon you can use that or a mouse & keyboard too, as per Freelancer.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Ttaskmaster wrote:
SGT KITTEN wrote:

I'm still hearing conflicting advice (and can't access RSI forums from here).
Some say it's joystick only, while others reckon you can use that or a mouse & keyboard too, as per Freelancer.

From what I got from the designers a mouse and keyboard will allow you to play the game. But you won't be able to really optimize playability. You can use a mouse and keyboard for Microsoft flight sim X, but it is a horrible experience.

As an example, you can play WoW with a standard mouse and keyboard. But you can be much more effective with an optimized mouse and keyboard designed for the game. SC woul be the same, but the disparity would be much higher. Trying to fly a plane with a mouse is hideously frustrating, hence my saying it really is a necessity to have a flight stick.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

I have my ship and hanger already. Was unsure about the subscription. I think my ego may make me get it just to get my name in the game. ;)

My computer is just under the minimum right now. I'm going to see about upping my RAM and see how it works. Otherwise I'll get a new computer. This one is a Frankestein model and I've been planning to upgrade for a while. This will give me that excuse.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:33 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Thanks for all the info fellas!

I did go with the $65 Digital Bounty Hunter pledge with the 300i ship. I also splurged and bought the Exploration skin ;)

A friend melted down my 300i and gifted it back to me with Lifetime Insurance rather than the 4 months that came with it.

I downloaded the Hangar but have yet to run it, been busy.

I do have a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV just behind my laptop which I plan to use as a monitor and the Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse :)

I'm also upgrading my recording hardware as well, a new Hauppauge HDPVR 2 Gaming Edition and an HDMI switchbox to replace my Hauppauge 1219 which runs Component and Component Switchbox. I will be able to run my laptop, PS3 and hopefully my PS4 through it :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:39 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:
the Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse :)

They're wicked fun, aren't they!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:09 am 
Mobile Mayhem

So I ran the automated checks for if I can run it. I came in just under "Recommended"

My results:

Minimum

CPU
CPU
Minimum: Dual core CPU
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

CPU

CPU Speed
CPU Speed
Minimum: Info
You Have: 2.4 GHz

RAM
RAM
Minimum: 3 GB
You Have: 13 GB

OS
OS
Minimum: Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
You Have: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

Windows

Video Card
Video Card
Minimum: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1Gb Video RAM (Geforce GTS 450/Radeon HD 5770)
You Have: GeForce GTX 660M

Video Card

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Required

You Have

Icon Pixel Shader version 5.0 5.0
Icon Vertex Shader version 5.0 5.0
Icon Dedicated Video RAM 1 GB 2.0 GB

Sound Card
Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: VIA High Definition Audio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next