The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Diaspora
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 pm 

Not sure if this one has been mentioned here already ?

I spent ages wishing somebody would put together a Battlestar flight-sim. And then they did. The team at hard light have now finished 'diaspora'. It's a free download too !

So how does it play ? Very good, surprisingly so. Good introduction/training to flying the Viper. Good controls. Good combat. On the whole it's excellent. At present there is only one single player campaign (about 6/8 missions) but there are third-party ones you can download and they plan on releasing 'official' add-on packs too. They've really got all the sound effects spot-on to give it a real Battlestar feel. Not just a space-sim. Definately worth a punt if you like sci-fi and flight sims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw

(Not sure of the video embed code for this forum ?)

Post subject: Re: Diaspora
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:00 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Prophet-KGB wrote:
(Not sure of the video embed code for this forum ?)

There isn't one, so the link is all you can do. :)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
I've wanted to play this one fora while, but I don't have a PC.

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

I picked this up the other month, back when I was on a massive BSG kick.

Personally, I found the default controls somewhat ill-considered and over-complicated. Seemingly I have to select about four different things just to shoot something. i.e. Select enemy group, select ship, select component, select ammo type and then engage... all this while the bloody thing is running rings around me.
It'll take some getting used to, but the complexity makes as much sense as the controls you get in any other realistic flight sim.

Furthermore, I found the movement controls very sluggish and counter-intuitive. Worse still, it's not really a Keyboard & Mouse game and yet I had immense difficulty getting the thing to even recognise my joystick suite. Eventually, it did but the sluggishness persisted.
This is a fighter ship, not a commercial towing vessel. It handles like a dead cow!!!
Still working on both redefining keys to suit myself and figuring out what settings need a kicking to make it respond quick enough to the point where I can hit stuff.

Despite all that, the graphics are great, the visuals are spot on and the whole thing was still really enjoyable... right up until my patience with the above ran out.
I've not really tried playing it again, but I've not uninstalled it either. It's impressive as is and when you consider that this is a completely free fan-made game, it is seriously impressive.

Give it a go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm 

Yes when i first played it i had to map the axes to my joystick as it wasn't recognising power/pitch/roll/yaw. However once configured it was fine. Personally i found it to play very similar to 'x-wing vs tie fighter', which is great because that was an epic series. The combat i thought was pretty simple ? The only key you really need is 'H' which just tracks the next hostile. So chase him, blow him up then hit 'H' again. It's perfectly playable just like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

It didn't even work with my first joystick. That's why I switched to the fancy suite type, but even then it was a bit funny.
I'll likely retry at some point, but I'm heavily into my Mass Effect right now and just restarted Assassin's Creed again.