The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: BEWARE "IceMaximus" on Ps3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 am 
When playing survivor...this moron has figured out a game exploit by going outside and placing a sentry gun in the corner of the map. Normally I would say this is good tactics and strategy, but NOT when one of the xeno respawn points is directly in front of the sentry.

I hate exploiters since they can't play the way the game was intended, ie fair.

If you see this assdouche...I would avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 am 

There's a solution for that... four grenades will kill a teammate. Especially a cheating, exploiting camper. Just sayin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 am 
I like how you think sir!

Post subject: Re: BEWARE "IceMaximus" on Ps3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:47 am 

:twisted:

The RPG also works well for that. Best use I've found for it yet!

-HUMVEE Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Not much of a moron if he's smart enough to figure that out, is he?
That said, most of the Devs I've met seem to be Munchkins who love figuring out game exploits...

Can you not just leave one Xeno in place to camp the respawn and keep him from placing the gun?
Or simply find another game when you see his name on your list?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm 

Or blow his cheesy ass away with grenades or the RPG.

- HUMVEE Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm 
I personally dont see someone as being smart when they figure out a way to unfairly gain an advantage based on a limitation of the game. Its just lame. Like people quickscoping in CoD.

I only saw the guy in the one game of escape. Then I switched game types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
I've been in non-aliens games where the cheaters basically run the map. Spawning outside the boundaries, spawning inside
of buildings (but still able to shoot out), getting into areas miles ABOVE the game map and sniping... the list goes on. Personally,
I don't see the fun in it. Oh, sure, you went 50 kills and 0 deaths. Good for you. Not like you used SKILL to do it.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm 

Magnus wrote:
I personally dont see someone as being smart when they figure out a way to unfairly gain an advantage based on a limitation of the game.

Playing devil's advocate for a sec - But why is it 'unfair'? If you can destroy your enemy's weapon manufacturing plant in real war, is that considered unfair?
Pretty much anyone who plays Freelancer exploits the 'realistic physics' of the game to achieve things the devs never even envisioned, to the point where their skills might rival most real life pilots.

I get your point though, so your only options are to join games with decent players from here or, as mentioned, ganking them until they ragequit!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
I believe I've played in a few matches with the person mentioned, but it may have been before he/she started using that tactic. I don't remember exactly, but the name definitely does ring a bell.

I personally like discovering exploits and developing different strategies, especially in single player games. It often adds a lot to the enjoyment of a game, but I would never camp an enemy spawn point in a multiplayer match... To me that's just chicken shit gamesmanship.

In Survivor: Condemned some Marines get down into the underground passage and set up a sentry gun to cover one end while covering the stairs leading down at the other end. Xenos generally have a very tough time getting anywhere near the Marines if they're frosty & alert. To me this is not only a fair but commendable strategy, and has a fairly high rate of success if well executed.

On the other hand, I've played in a few matches where two or three guys make their way up to the upper passage and camp the Boiler spawn located there. It also happens to be a random xeno spawn point. I have mixed feeling about that one. Camping the Boiler is one thing, but instantly splattering any xeno that happen to spawn back into the game with a smart gun is just camping the enemy spawn point. I would never do that myself, as attractive as it may seem. Cheap kills are just that, and require no real skill. Setting up a tough defensive position and holding it is a different story. If I ever saw somebody on my team camping the enemy spawn and they were downed, I'd leave 'em to the f'n bugs.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm 
Ttaskmaster wrote:
Playing devil's advocate for a sec - But why is it 'unfair'? If you can destroy your enemy's weapon manufacturing plant in real war, is that considered unfair?
Pretty much anyone who plays Freelancer exploits the 'realistic physics' of the game to achieve things the devs never even envisioned, to the point where their skills might rival most real life pilots.

I get your point though, so your only options are to join games with decent players from here or, as mentioned, ganking them until they ragequit!

Hehehe, K I will play along. Technically it's "in the game" so it's "allowed". What concerns me however is the Dev's intent to find a balance in their gameplay and maps. Granted, the Devs can't test for everything, but it irks me when a player deliberately goes out of their way to find a weakness in the map and use it their own advantage. If the Devs purposely built "spots" into the map, like Mudshark mentioned, then so be it. But this goes a bit beyond finding a lucky area.

It's made worse when you take a spitter and try and knock the sentry out, and this idiot just pops you with a sniper rifle.

This is a game, not real war. All is fair in real war. In a game, I personally have the expectation for people to play on a level field. I know this isn't the case, but it annoys me big time when people cheat or exploit some gameplay issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm 

Play as a Marine and frag him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 am 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
It's a tactic, a sh*tty one but one none the less.

Option 1: Switch your tactics from just 'kill or be killed' to 'defend the spawn position'
Option 2: Leave the game and find one where the tactics are to your liking

When I played AvP2 online I used to be the sniper and would set up a position in a vent or high ground and snipe.
People got upset and I was even booted a few times...but what else does a sniper do?

I'm not condoning his tactics, I'm simply saying he has exploited a weak spot and you must counter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 am 
Unfortunately there are no tactics for running over open ground with a Sentry gun lol. I had to leave the game...but now people know his name so he can be avoided. Well, at least the people I care about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.22147E1
Sounds like some of the stuff that goes on in TF2.. I taught a Heavy once that "if you spawncamp the enemy, your medic will find someone else to heal and let you die." I'd get booted sometimes, but it was worth it. Thanks for the heads up on this tweeb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:41 pm 
Really an OK guy

I was taken out in a survivor match, and watched as one of my team-mates made their way to the xeno spawn point. I shook my head, knowing he was going to just rack up cheap kills, when two xeno spitters spawned at the same time and jumped him, taking him down with rupture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Gotta love those kamikaze spitters! :mrgreen:

Strangely enough I ran into "IceMaximus" again, but he was on my team this time. He didn't pull any weird stunts that I could see (maybe somebody got on his case about it), but I did hear him muttering something about people not using their mics. I had mine on and let him know I use it and don't understand why other people leave theirs idle. Got no reply and then he dropped out of the lobby before the next round started... :?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Magnus wrote:
Unfortunately there are no tactics for running over open ground with a Sentry gun lol.

It does leave the person extremely vulnerable if a xeno or two happen to catch up with him, too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:40 pm 
Really an OK guy

It's also a risky tactic - you get taken down before you set up the sentry, then you have an undeployed sentry gun, in a useless position, where the rest of the team will have a hell of a fight to get to it, even if they knew where you took it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am 
Jigoku e masshigura

Quite true, which is why playing with friends who know what the plan is and watch your back while lugging the sentry to its destination can be critical. Sometimes you can pull it off on your own in a public match, but the risk is definitely much greater, and quite often fatal. :(

Btw, had another Survivor match lately with good ole "IceMaximus", and sure enough he abandoned his fellow Marines and set up outside with the sentry gun while we xenos were dealing with them inside. His tactic wasn't nearly as effective as he'd hoped however, and once he was the last man standing, we all closed in from different directions under cover so the sentry gun was useless. The last image before the match ended was him down on his back being mercilessly ripped to shreds by four enraged xenos... :mrgreen: He may be rethinking his "one man army" tactic after that ass-whuppin', but some habits die hard... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
Nice!!!

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm 
Mudshark...you are now my absolute HERO!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Poetic justice, my friends, served up with razor sharp claws! :D That was one of the most enjoyable moments I've had in a multiplayer match so far. Just wish I had a vid of it to share with you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
I'd love a vid of that!

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Maverick wrote:
I'd love a vid of that!

So would I, actually. It really felt good, and a vid would allow me to savor that moment whenever I needed something to cheer me up. :lol: