The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Now I am having major problems...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
Playing through the campaign on Hardened...and I am totally stuck on a "boss". Its the big bug that you have to fight with the power loader. Now with the new patch...i cant beat it. You just take too much damage, and the friendly AI does littke to keep the smaller xenos off you.

Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Now I am having major problems...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ1.0.02128E1
I beat the raven alien on Ultimate Badass difficulty by knocking it into a corner and just pounding on it. I also did a lot of sidestepping to avoid getting hit while maneuvering to get it into the corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm 
I'll give that a try. I am finding now with the improved AI that the regular xenos won't leave me the hell alone! When I try and get out of the power loader to grab some health or armour, I just get slaughtered lol. I'll keep you updated Gwen and see if the cornering works.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Not done it since the patch, I also got straight into the loader and didn't leave it at all, just moved about until the Raven was in a corner, then beat the shit out of it. :)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm 
Yeah it's different now...the smaller xenos hightail it right for you, so you have more to worry about. I've spent about an hour trying to get past it...sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am 

Yeah I beat it pre and post patch and it is definitely more difficult now. And your buddies seem to use a lot of ammo without killing much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:44 am 
Whew...just beat it...brutal lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 am 

Yay! Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 pm 
Really an OK guy

Now, you just gotta do it on Ultimate Badass! :)

I was lucky to have done almost the whole campaign before the patch, found that fight a breeze before, but even with all the AI, AND three other players, NOW I found that fight a freaking nightmare!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 pm 

companyman wrote:
Now, you just gotta do it on Ultimate Badass! :)

I was lucky to have done almost the whole campaign before the patch, found that fight a breeze before, but even with all the AI, AND three other players, NOW I found that fight a freaking nightmare!

Yeah I'm currently stuck on the 'unhook all the fuel lines while fighting 900,000 aliens' fight on Ultimate Badass...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 pm 
Really an OK guy

OMG, I found that one sometimes a nightmare BEFORE the patch! Just start undoing the last fuel line when a couple of aliens jump me, it took a while to do. Hell, wasn't until was doing a mission with a couple of guys that I got the opportunity to use the ammo box, usually was too busy shooting and running.

Not sure if the last mission was changed post-patch, but I didn't remember any warriors in the landing bay with her majesty before that, even on Ultimate Badass!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
There were soldiers in it on Soldier before the patch in single player and more in co-op.

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 am 
There is a trick to the fuel lines mission. The aliens come in 3 waves....when you defeat each wave, there is a break in the action. At least long enough to detach one of the lines. I found this out the hard way. Also watch for the lurkers...they move rediculously fast. I found a combination of the pulse rifle with the higher rate of fire, and the SMG worked the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32148G1
I found detaching the fuel lines quite difficult now but what I done in the end was make sure I stocked up on ammo from the crate and then detach a fuel line. Instead of hanging around near the dropship I would run for the building you originally exit to get to the dropship. Wait inside and you will see the odd alien or two drop from the building and start running towards your squad. You can then either let them carry on and let your squad deal with them (this can take a while but they usually get everything after a while) or take shots yourself. While doing this you may get an alien or two make a run for you but as they are in the open and have a fairly large amount of ground to cover you should have time to get them before they get close. Can always drop a claymore on the floor just in case. It can take a fair amount of time running back and forth between waves and can get a little close while covering the large amount of ground to get back to the building. Just be careful nothing is chasing close behind. Rarely an alien can become stuck behind the landing gear and your squad just stand shooting hitting only the dropship or steps you use to get to the fuel line. When this happens you may have to go and get that pesky alien yourself.

Another tricky area for me was the showdown in the garage area where you get access to one sentry turret. It is possible to get two sentry turrets for this fight. When you start the run back into Hadleys and you have to set up a sentry in order to buy time while the door is bypassed. Once the door is opened grab the sentry and bring it inside and place it on the floor before going and rescuing the marines upstairs. Once all the rescuing is done you come back to this area before the door to the garage area is opened. Grab the sentry you placed on the floor and take it with you. You will now have two operational sentry turrets for the showdown. If any turret has ammo left after this battle you can pick it up and take it with you to the boss battle that follows. However, if you are killed during the boss battle you will lose the sentry gun and the door to the garage will be closed so you cant pick it up again.

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day. (The Grey)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 pm 
I did the same thing with the sentry guns....two is always better than one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 am 

Never seen a single alien in the landing bay with the Queen before the patch.

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:26 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
Magnus wrote:
I did the same thing with the sentry guns....two is always better than one.

Absolutely. You really only need one sentry gun in the garage to help keep the xenos from overrunning the place if playing solo. I always turn the first one against a wall thoughout the mission and use the second one in the garage for the battle. If the second gun has any ammo left after that (it often does) I use it against the crusher and set the first one facing the gate.

* The phased plasma pulse rifle takes the crusher down from long range with about 16 fully charged blasts, and is probably the one time it is particularly useful. Fortunately Cruz & O'Neal usually do a decent job keeping stray xenos off me in the meantime.

If playing solo you'll only be able to take one with you anyway when you jump down to the lower level of the building before heading to the dropship pad. I make sure it has at least 300+ rounds and set it up to cover the entire area in front of the ship just before releasing the last (forward) fuel line. That seems to be when the xenos come from every direction and things can go sideways in no time without that extra support.

Playing co-op you can take both sentries all the way to the dropship battle, as long as everyone makes it that far! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Magnus wrote:
Playing through the campaign on Hardened...and I am totally stuck on a "boss". Its the big bug that you have to fight with the power loader. Now with the new patch...i cant beat it. You just take too much damage, and the friendly AI does littke to keep the smaller xenos off you.

Any advice?

I've found it's even harder if you're trying for the "Heavy Lifting" Trophy/Achievement now. If you mess up and fail to kill it within the time limit, you're probably better off restarting the entire mission. Reloading the checkpoint puts you and IT already inside the area, and when you run to enter the loader the smaller xenos are already there to damage you before you even get started on the Raven, as you no doubt already know.

Before the patch I beat the Raven on Hardened and Ultimate Badass without having to restart once, but I wasn't really trying to beat the time limit. Now I'm trying to pick up that missing trophy and it's a real pain!

I found a suggestion on YouTube that may help you. After you fight the last swarm of xenos with Reid and Bella, instead of jumping down and entering the gate where you fight the Raven, head back to the last hole you had to pass through to escape it.

The Raven will be roaming around the road area in front of it. Wait there and unload all of your heavy ordnance and as much ammo as you have left into its head and torso when it gets close. You won't kill it, but you WILL damage it. (I unloaded everything I had into it... the only way to be sure). :mrgreen:

After that go back and jump into the power loader. Approach the Raven as it enters the gate. When you swing at it you'll automatically do a claw grab instead, which someone said saves about 30 seconds. After that you should only have to bash it four times in succession, do another claw grab, and then repeat the process to finish it off.

I messed up and failed to make the time limit, but the automatic claw grab trick did work. I'll keep trying and see if I can finally get it right. :|

If you're trying to beat it on Hardened I'd suggest giving this tactic a try, or get a friend to help keep the smaller xenos off your back. Shock Wave and I teamed up and beat this level on Ultimate Badass, but I think it was before the patch. Anyway, hope this helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:38 am 
Thanks for that tip...I managed to get lucky and get past it without that...but if I ever decide to try an act of insanity and try ultimate badass, I'll give that a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm 
Really an OK guy

Take friends on Ultimate Badass as they make it easier, but you gotta watch the friendly fire. You have to kill the xenos that are clambering on the back of the powerloader without hitting the marine running it.

And Mudshark, was a pleasure helping with that elusive lifting trophy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

companyman wrote:
Take friends on Ultimate Badass as they make it easier, but you gotta watch the friendly fire. You have to kill the xenos that are clambering on the back of the powerloader without hitting the marine running it.

And Mudshark, was a pleasure helping with that elusive lifting trophy!

Really can't thank you and justom enough for helping me finally nail that ugly sucker and earn that trophy! 8)

The little tune up we gave the Raven before the main event worked like a charm, although the animation was cut short because I was able to get up to the gate before it had fully opened it. We didn't even have to use up all that much ammo to do the job. Probably could've done it with just pistols. Gotta give that a try sometime and see if it works. :)

I could hardly believe how easy that was after so many failed attempts! I managed to bash him right up against the main gate and do a second claw grab, then when he retreated I was able to keep him in sight, chase him down, and suddenly it was all over! I didn't time it but it felt like under a minute, like maybe around 45 sec?

Anyway, having two able-bodied badasses as fire support squad mates really made all the difference! I smiled to myself all day today thinking about getting those last three trophies, thanks to you & justom! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :delta: :delta: :delta: