The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Please, Can The A:CM Bashing Get Old Now?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 am 
Really an OK guy

I've cruised a few sites, but am now starting to get REALLY fed up with a lot of the "True Aliens Fans" bashing the game.

You can't argue that the game ignores Alien 3, then point out inconsistancies in the game. Is this the same Alien 3 that had an egg appear as if by magic on the Sulaco? That for some reason changed the design of the cryo chambers? That gave the Sulaco a respray (overall hull colour, and ship lettering)?

"They never explained why Weyland Yutani took the Sulaco back to LV-426! The story is crap!" Obviously, for some reason they did, but I somehow don't think Weyland would spend his time at the end of the game explaining his entire Diabolical Plan!

"The AI never shoots any aliens! They're rubbish!" Well, they seemed to shoot aliens just fine when I played, too much in fact, which is why took me some time to do some challenges.

"Why can't the AI die? The game is crap!" Good luck with completing some of the missions if they did. And of course, if they could die, making you re-start a checkpoint because you made it and they didn't, they'd be ranting about that.

"Why do you fight Wey-Yu mercs? This ruins the game!" Of course, everyone knows the Colonial Marines were only formed to fight xenos :roll: Besides, the best Aliens games have been the AVP series, yet in that of course, Predators shoot back!

"20th Century Fox should decide this story is not canon, as the story is crap!" Desires aside, Fox say it is, so it is. Reminds me of a lot of the Star Trek fans who decide if they don't like an episode, then it never happened.

"The aliens are all dumb, they just charge at you and attack. They should all have the lurker AI, and hide and leap on you! The aliens in the movie didn't act like this!" Hmm, seem to recall when they were discovered sneaking into Operations, they did act just like that, charging straight into the gunfire to try to overwhelm with numbers.

Is the game perfect? Hell no. Is the game enjoyable? To me, hell yeah! At the end of the day, IMHO that's all that counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
One small point ;)

Go watch Aliens again, and keep watching til the very end of the credits. Listen closely.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 am 
Really an OK guy

Scapey wrote:
One small point ;)

Go watch Aliens again, and keep watching til the very end of the credits. Listen closely.

Oh, I'm aware of the sound, but still don't explain the egg :) Would have been better if they'd just shown a facehugger sneaking off a landing leg, rather than include the egg at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
You should post this on those other sites. This site is the only one i have been to that actually holds a positive opinion on this game.

ignoring the god awful story that was pieced together in 9 months most people are upset about the bait and switch they pulled.

Post subject: Re: Please, Can The A:CM Bashing Get Old Now?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
As Hudson says (IIRC): "What are we still talkin' about this for?! Let's just bug out and call it even, okay?!" :wink:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:49 am 
Really an OK guy

Guys, I need to apologise - it's just I needed to rant I think.

The final straw was when people had posted screen caps of the game and the movie to try to show that the GROUND was wrong, as apparently there are "lines" on the ground on LV-426 that weren't there in the movie.

And yeah, the game does get a fair amount of love on here, so this is the wrong place; I'm not a member of the other sites I've seen, but with a zealot level with some members there that make unitologists look like laid-back hippies, I'm not really sure I'd want to be! Especially to defend a game that they think is the worst one since computers were invented.

I just need to relax, take a deep breath, and chill.

Thanks guys for not tearing me a new one for taking up your valuable reading time! :delta:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.72144E1
Well, I like it. It's a game- for entertainment. Based on a scifi story. Which is made up. The programmers have slanted/tweaked/monkeyed with the story to suit what they wanted to do. So what?

Frankly, if some keyboard heroes get their grimey panties in a bunch about 'Game messes with Aliens history' then the Defence would like to cite COD-Black Ops portrayl of the Vietnam War as the precident that programmers get fast and loose when it suits them...AK74s in 1969? AUGs in 1969? NVA dressed in their 1950s tan gear but carrying FALs!?....And this is not a scifi story, but someone deciding to monkey with actual events.

I'm with Voltaire on this "Weed ones own garden"....If there are people out there willing wear their fingers to nubs typing about how ACM messes with the film's timeline then that's their problem not mine.

Get a grip is all I can say :)

"Checklists Save Lives- No Service Stations at 30,000ft"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

companyman wrote:
I've cruised a few sites, but am now starting to get REALLY fed up with a lot of the "True Aliens Fans" bashing the game.

Are they members of this forum?

If not, then they ain't TRUE Aliens fans!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
LIKE^

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.72144E1
Ttaskmaster wrote:
companyman wrote:

Are they members of this forum?

If not, then they ain't TRUE Aliens fans!! :lol:

You make a VERY good point :) :delta:

"Checklists Save Lives- No Service Stations at 30,000ft"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

I can't understand game bashing in general...
If I buy a game that doesn't satisfy my needs, I don't blame the game or the developer.
How can it be their fault? Do they know exactly what I need?
No! They don't and therefore can't be blamed.
If I buy a game that does not deliver, I'm angry about myself not being patient enough or not reading enough about the game. It's always my fault spending money on a game
which doesn't deliver!
I love A:CM and my copy of Crysis 3 is getting dusty...it's always a matter of taste!
Oorah!

Last edited by Rasta on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm 

Rasta wrote:
I can't understand game bashing in general...
If I buy a game that doesn't satisfy my needs, I don't blame the game for it.
Most of the times I'm angry about myself not being patient enough or not
reading enough about the game.

On the side I usually ignore, you have the 'über-gamers'. They play every game there is, either learn everything about it or burn through and complete it first time in less than a day, claim to know how a game should be, have insane skills and usually end up playing online shooters where they just kill everything in sight without seeming to care about savouring all the immense tiny details that take years to develop.

On the other side - For most people, with a game like this, it's more about what was promised/demo'ed versus what was delivered. Expectations were raised sky-high for this and then dashed.
When a game is new like this, there're no reviews from actual end users to base your decision on, meaning you either wait or drop £35 in the hope that the game is worth it.

Mass Effect 3 is possibly the best example of letting the fans down and I now know where they were coming from, but it's still a flipping FANTASTIC game and if one can still enjoy such things in spite of the dislikes, then much kudos to one!

Having just had a go on A:CM last night, I have to say that Console gamers loose out - This was designed on a PC with PC capabilities and playing maxed-out settings on a 27" screen with an i5 processor running a 50gb Radeon 5,000,000 GPU (OK, I exaggerate slightly) will yield far better results than a crappy old X-Box connected to yer TV.

I'm possibly getting a more fancy graphics card handed down to me, but even without I'll likely still get A:CM and give it a play-though. If it's anywhere near as good as AvP 2010, I'll be a happy Woody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
its bad that people have to bash games cuz it was not just like anohter game. i think that is the reason i have played so much of A:CM i just fianlly beat Halo 4 and you know what im tired of the same type of game play i like the feel of how CM is. and yes if they are not on here they are not Really TRUE DieHard Fans..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:10 pm 
Arcturian

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.22156E1
Its always going to be difficult to translate a concept like Aliens to a videogame.

In the film the marines take a hell of a pounding and from a full squad, only one marine makes it out semi-intact. Put that into a game where the object is to win, and youre going to see a change in style. Its never going to be quite as tense in a game where there are checkpoints at the end of every corridor, so that being munched down like an old Twix results in nothing more than your character expending a bit more shoe leather to get back to where he was.

Someone on my FB feed linked an article on how Call of Duty has ruined a generation of FPS gamers, because if something doesnt immediately feel like CoD then its automatically bad. I think theres an element of that in play here. Yes there is a disparity between what was demo'd and what was delivered, but I dont think the level of hatred the game has received has been entirely justified.

Area 52 Bioweapons division - Amber T. Alien

"Harsh"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
You know, the shortcomings of this game I thought were pretty well stated in a 'backhanded compliment" of sorts by the IGN reviewer.

IGN wrote:
The videogame industry has been openly stealing from Aliens for the past couple of decades, and consequently nothing that Gearbox wheels out in Colonial Marines feels new...

Maybe this guy didnt mean it as a compliment, but that whole paragraph where this quote was found clearly outlines just how influential Aliens was to the gaming industry. When everyone steels your best stuff, how can people get pissed that you dont have anything innovative? Whatever you put out, the hard core fans will be pissed at the variations and the noobs that wanted COD w/aliens in it will be pissed if you dont get wild enough.

Overall I enjoyed the game, continue to play it and look forward to the DLC (Although I personally prefer more campaign content over multiplayer). If they make a sequal I'll be pre-ordering the special edition of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm 

Well I have it on good authority the DLC is going to be a lot of fun

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:42 pm 

nocternus wrote:
Well I have it on good authority the DLC is going to be a lot of fun

Interesting. :shock:

In what way ? (or is it a secret 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 pm 

No secret but that's all I got for now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
With all the currently "locked" doors I encountered while exploring in nearly every mission, I feel they must've saved a fair amount of good stuff for the upcoming DLC. I believe those of us who are enjoying the basic game now are going to be pleasantly surprised in the months ahead, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 pm 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
Ditto. I really enjoy the game's atmosphere. I still get creeped out in The Raven and any time I hear the tracker whining, I get nervous. That's because each time I fire up the game, I willingly suspend my disbelief, which is something I think a lot of gamers don't do anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
most new age gamers dont get into the story or play as the charater is them. that is one thing i have always done and luv it. you will watch me bob and weave all the time when playing. i luv how every game has to be put up with CoD when its not even that great. I think BF3 is way better in so many ways. But i luvd the story it ties in very well IMO yes it has alot of Bugs and not the killing kind, but 360 and PS3 are starting to show there Age a bit if you think about it also. and i cant wait for the DLC's Bug Hunt is soon and cant wait for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Ttaskmaster wrote:
On the other side - For most people, with a game like this, it's more about what was promised/demo'ed versus what was delivered. Expectations were raised sky-high for this and then dashed.

Bear in mind that some of the criticism amounted to phases such as "...in the demo the light was swinging and now it revolves, so the game is shit!" and "...in the demo the glass cracked when the dead Marine hit it, but now it doesn't, so the game is shit!" etc., etc. :roll:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 pm 
Really an OK guy

PVB wrote:
Ttaskmaster wrote:

Bear in mind that some of the criticism amounted to phases such as "...in the demo the light was swinging and now it revolves, so the game is shit!" and "...in the demo the glass cracked when the dead Marine hit it, but now it doesn't, so the game is shit!" etc., etc. :roll:

This.

I'm the first to say the gameplay footage at E3 was a HUGE shooting their own foot moment, as it wasn't in the final game, which makes a lot of people disappointed. They expected more from the product that was advertised, so both Gearbox and SEGA will be hard-pressed to overcome this fiasco and be trusted with any gameplay footage at events for years.

But yeah, complain about the story, complain about the gameplay, complain about the AI, that's fine, if those things are wrong, or not to your tastes, or spoil the game for you, then fair enough.

Lights being wrong, the Hadley's Hope sign in the wrong place, the floor grill where Hudson was pulled through not where it was supposed to be, facehugger bodies being in the wrong place in medlab, then that's finding fault just for the sake of it. Of course, much of it could be a back-lash against the disappointment, so people will find anything they can wrong with it!

The alien franchise does have a problem translating to a videogame, for the simple fact that against fully-equiped and armed Colonial Marines, the aliens aren't the super killing machines that people believe they are. As I've said before, even James Cameron had to get rid of most of the weapons to make them a credible threat. Only way you can capture this properly in any game is say "Okay, here's your pulse-rifle, you got one mag, no reloads, and a 6-hour campaign to get through - enjoy!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm 

PVB wrote:

Actually, those tend to be the comments I totally disregard! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
Are people really wishing it was more COD like? I must have missed it, the only times i have heard COD brought up with this game is when people that support ACM bring it into the mix.

And while a specific light fixture being different than the movie is really nitpicking, i think what they are getting at is the fact that dynamic lighting was scrapped for the release.