The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Aliens Plot Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ0.082154E1
So here is a question as a huge fan of the movie Aliens wouldnt the facehugger that got Newt's father had to have been the queen? I mean as far as I can see there are only three ways the entire colony could have been infected

1. The alien was a soldier type who returned to the egg chamber and brought more eggs back
2. The alien was a queen who then layed eggs that the colonists came across and got infected from
3. More colonists went to the egg chamber and got infected

And if the second point is true then it makes the queen style facehugger irrelevant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
well newts tale Comic showed more people coming back facehugged. so that would be the way i would take it. and one of those was the queen unless Newts dad's alien Turned into a Queen after due to no queen around.

Post subject: Re: Aliens Plot Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
darkcrusader88 wrote:
So here is a question as a huge fan of the movie Aliens wouldnt the facehugger that got Newt's father had to have been the queen? I mean as far as I can see there are only three ways the entire colony could have been infected

1. The alien was a soldier type who returned to the egg chamber and brought more eggs back
2. The alien was a queen who then layed eggs that the colonists came across and got infected from
3. More colonists went to the egg chamber and got infected

And if the second point is true then it makes the queen style facehugger irrelevant?

I personally believe a combo of 1 and 3 makes the most sense.

-After the Jordan family came back, there were conceivably some 'cowboy' types in the colony that said "Where did this happen? Well, we better go check it out and do something to stop it!" (You guys know the type! I bet each of you knows a neighbor that would say that. If you think your neighbors are all wusses and wouldn't say it, YOU might be that guy in your neighborhood! :wink: ) So yeah, maybe they smash a few eggs but eventually would be become victims themselves.

-Once a couple mature warriors started moving around, a whole new world of possibilities are created. They could carry the eggs to the colony to set as "traps" of some sort, or bring colony victims back to the eggs as they catch them. Probably a combo of both. They could also start work on the hive. As soon as they have the bodies to watch the would-be hive entrance, they could REALLY do some work.

-Once the hive conditions were secure and inhabitable, whatever chemical reaction that enables a queen probably occurred in one of the early hive victims and the mature queen started laying all eggs on-site within the colony, and thats all she wrote.

I personally think the idea of a "queen facehugger" is pretty silly. I think its more logical to look at bees and ants in how their queens develop. Nature is crazy. Chemical changes and environment and all that jazz. Thats all you need for a believable development.

The alien 3 queen facehugger being cut from the film is probably an indication others thought that it was a bit of a stretch as well. But that's just my own humble opinion. Maybe some really good ideas that tied it all together were also cut, but I don't like it and it stinks. Another case of hollywood trying to 'sexy it up' something cool and just making it weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
I like the Queen FH idea. but i think that it started with a few Drones and then maybe a queen. i dont think there was a Queen FH as part of the first strike.but that is one thing we will never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 pm 

Personally I think both Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection are silly they are not as strong as Alien or Aliens story or character wise and just seem to exist to make money off the success of the first two. As far as I'm concerned they are not canon and just made to attempt to amuse me for an hour and 45 minutes. No offense to people who like them its just my opinion. I have not read any of the comics like Newts Nightmare so I will have to check those out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Really an OK guy

It could well be that one of the first aliens, after establishing a nest and perhaps having a few other soldiers to guarantee security, has the ability to molt into a queen. It means that the hive doesn't have to rely on chance, hoping that a queen facehugger would happen to be awakened.

Or, taking the special edition of Alien into account, maybe the initial alien has the ability to "create" a Queen Egg from a captured host.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
The first alien from the father scampered off into the ductwork and set up shop in the atmosphere processor.
After swiping a few colonists it repeated the process we saw in Alien (directors cut) where an egg is created and a queen is produced.

Looking at the time frame between radio silence (2 weeks minimum) to getting the marines mustered and out there...this could have easily all happened seeing as the events in Alien occured in under 24 hours.

However as we know the colonists had time to attempt facehugger removal as well as capture (4 in the tubes) so the nest may have been active and producing before anyone noticed what was going on and that people were missing.
Newts father may have 'given birth' with no one around so no one knew what was going on until people started going missing or not 'checking in'. It could have been days or a week before anyone knew what was fully going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 am 

I dunno, IMO the human->egg metamorphosis should be kept purely to an extended scene. :P It was a bizarre way to explain eggs before introducing the concept of a queen, which worked better, and hasn't been used in any way since then.

Look at them more like bugs, and it makes a lot more sense for the soldier/drone that pops from newt's daddy to have taken people and brought them to the ship. Or, alternatively, they managed to kill the chestburster and as mentioned, they go to investigate. which NEVER goes well. Or, a mix of the two.

A party of people or two doesn't report back after going hunting, after a few days people start vanishing, being taken back to the eggs, a queen is formed as numbers grow and things move into the atmo processor, closer to the people, the soldiers start taking them back to the hive until they just steamroll the remaining people.

Newt's Tale covers it too, but AFAIK it doesn't really explain where multiple bugs come from, they're just There. Not read it in a while, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

I'm not so sure that it could have been a drone/soldier type to ran back to the derilect to bring eggs back to the colony, firstly I feel the derilect must be far away since you can't see it from the colony or I'm sure everyone would be freaking out seeing an alien craft sitting there and in the movie they reference it being "in the middle of nowhere" so it does not make sence to me that an alien would hatch and then run all the way to the derilect to bring eggs back. Now if it was a queen that hatched then its a simple matter of it traveling along the service tunnel (since we can assume Newt's father would have been taken to med bay) growing and laying eggs in the processor plant area that could then attack plant workers. As far as the extended scene in Alien goes I know the Alien was cacooning Dallas and that other guy but I'm not sure why maybe its instince to get victims ready for a queen whether or not one exists at the time, maybe for food since presumably Aliens need to eat something to stay alive. I could also see some of the outbreak of Aliens being from the "cowboy" type to go to the derilect to destroy the eggs only to get infected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Interesting discussion, but why is it in the video game section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Because I was playing the game last night and I saw this one soldier off by himself carrying and egg. I went up to him and asked "What are you doin' man?" and he said "I'm starting a family so bugger off will ya!" Other people have seen that right?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
yes I did funny enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Oh thank goodness. I though it was just me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 pm 
Really an OK guy

Y'know what? How about someone releases a RTS game, where you play Aliens trying to create and grow a hive (think a larger/better version of AVP:Extinction).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 pm 

That would be a fun game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 am 
OMG...that would be a TON of fun! Could have 3 factions...aliens, Wey-Yu, and the USCM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

So for those who know more about the Alien universe, do we ever see or get told what Aliens eat? I'm assuming they would eat humans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:33 pm 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
Whatever they can get their teeth on.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
darkcrusader88 wrote:
So for those who know more about the Alien universe, do we ever see or get told what Aliens eat? I'm assuming they would eat humans.

Well....according to the original ideas behind ALIEN....they don't eat. They are a short duration life form. The idea originially espoused by Ridley Scott was the the alien was a bio-weapon; it was designed to be deployed, kill and capture other life forms, and die off. The idea was that it was a built-in failsafe. In the SE of Alien, you can see the Alien captured Dallas and Brett and was "mutating" them into eggs. Think of it as a self-replicating or self-reloading weapon. Then, after a short duration, it dies off. That is why is a much lighter grey at the end of the movie, and why it is so slow moving and doesn't just rip Ripley to shreds.

Of course, Aliens kinda changed the whole way the system worked.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 pm 
Rip Steakface

And I'm pretty sure we see the bug snacking on a corpse in A3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:20 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
As you can guess, I hate the bio-weapon theory of origin and the limited lifespan that comes with it. But, I always used to have deference for Ridley's views. For the last 10 months, I haven't really felt that anymore ... ;)

So yes, I like to think he was nomming in Alien3. And in my dreams the Xenos have a wide taste in delicious meats. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:24 pm 
The alien is silicone based right? I would think it would need to eat something that would have a high silicone content on top of whatever else it's physiology requires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:25 pm 
Rip Steakface

IIRC, I read something about the chestburster in Alien getting into the ship's rations.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm 

Magnus wrote:
The alien is silicone based right? I would think it would need to eat something that would have a high silicone content on top of whatever else it's physiology requires.

But how would it get to Los Angeles?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
As creepy as Sir Ridley's original premise was, I am also not a fan.

Physiologically speaking, critters with not one, but two sets of huge razor sharp teeth are clearly carnivorous. Any defense, attack, or victim grabbing mechanisms are more than made up for with the tail and razor sharp claws. Those teeth are for chomping live meat.