The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: Aliens Plot Analysis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 am 
I don't believe it!

Service Number: A10/TQ3.0.02137E1
Newt father is attacked , newts mum calls for help..... so logic would state that a rescue party is sent out to help them... maybe some of the rescue team go inside the alien ship , or after newts dad is brought back to Hadley Hope a team is sent into the Alien ship (on company orders?) so therefore more people would have got attacked by facehuggers , one assumes that one of the facehuggers can produce a queen , also in the ant world this happens

Ants go through four stages of development: egg, larva, pupa (sometimes cocoon, called metamorphosis depending on the species) and adult.[2] The larvae have no legs but are capable of some minor movement, such as bending their head toward a food source when fed. During this stage, the level of care and nourishment the larvae receive will determine their eventual adult form. When resources are low, all larvae will develop into female worker ants;[3] however, if the parent of a sexually reproducing colony has a plentiful supply of food, some of the larvae will receive better nourishment than others, and develop into winged, sexually mature female ants destined to leave the colony.

Therefore based on that if one Alien chestburster is fed more than it could turn into a Queen , after all i assume after the alien bursts from the chest it needs to feed to grow...

Drops so Far.... 29 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ0.082154E1
So Ridley Scott had he Alien cocooning the crew to somehow turn them into eggs? I find that to much of a stretch I would think it more likely the Alien would cocoon the crew as an instinct preparing for a queen to lay eggs or possibly if it was going to mutate into a queen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm 
I also don't buy into Aliens using humans for sustenance. Their physiology in terms of raw materials doesn't really appear to have too much in common with ours, even though they "borrow" our DNA while gestating. We eat to replenish our body's cellular energy, nutrients and make repairs. We are what we eat. Structurally I don't see us resembling the Xenos at all.

And yeah, the Xeno in A3 was munching on someone, but who here really considers that movie Canon? lol

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Magnus wrote:
I also don't buy into Aliens using humans for sustenance. Their physiology in terms of raw materials doesn't really appear to have too much in common with ours, even though they "borrow" our DNA while gestating. We eat to replenish our body's cellular energy, nutrients and make repairs. We are what we eat. Structurally I don't see us resembling the Xenos at all.

And yeah, the Xeno in A3 was munching on someone, but who here really considers that movie Canon? lol

I do 8)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 pm 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
nocternus wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I do 8)

Ditto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:27 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
I like Alien3 even more now we know it didn't kill off Hicks ...

My coat, I will fetch it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
I find it funny everyone moans about it killing off hicks and newt but not ripley plus all the others films killed off everyone else

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 pm 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
nocternus wrote:
I find it funny everyone moans about it killing off hicks and newt but not ripley plus all the others films killed off everyone else

Actually, Alien and Alien 3 are the only two with a single survivor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
darkcrusader88 wrote:
So Ridley Scott had he Alien cocooning the crew to somehow turn them into eggs? I find that to much of a stretch I would think it more likely the Alien would cocoon the crew as an instinct preparing for a queen to lay eggs or possibly if it was going to mutate into a queen.

Yes, but when Ridley did that, there was no queen. The alien was a single creature and was self-replicating. Me personally, I like the idea that Ridley had about the alien. I find it to be much more gruesome to think of it as an engineered bioweapon. Cameron's explanation with the queen, although good, is bit too related to terrestrial insects. It's less alien to me.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm 

So can we assume based on the way the movie plays out that the company only sent out colonists to check a "grid referance" after Ripleys trial? So there was a period of two weeks they were searching for the ship

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 am 

I'm with Magnus while perhaps entertaining Alien3 and Alien4 I don't feel are worthy of canon in my opinion though they can be fun to watch and laugh at

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
darkcrusader88 wrote:
So can we assume based on the way the movie plays out that the company only sent out colonists to check a "grid referance" after Ripleys trial? So there was a period of two weeks they were searching for the ship

A minimum of two weeks. Who knows how long Burke took to make the plan and do the paperwork. We only know when he originated the message. June 12, 2179. The nostromo was destroyed in 2122, ripely drifted for 57 years so the year is right but I have never heard an exact date for when she was found. We also don't know how long it was before the colonists actually went, actually found it, and then the "delay time" before they realized contact was lost. So I'm thinking a minimum of two months the colonists were on their own before the marines were even contacted.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject: Re: Aliens Plot Analysis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 am 
Lifer

We've had this discussion once before about the timeline of the Jordans getting attacked to the Marines landing on LV-426-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10685&hilit=timeline

Some interesting takes on the subject in there. :delta:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 am 

So I learned Hicks was originally played by James Remar but was recast as Michael Beihn are ther any scenes in the movie with James Remar or did they edit him out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Just the one shot as they enter the hive. Too expensive to reshoot as they had already scrapped the model.

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... mes-remar/

I'd encourage you to read the entire Strange Shapes website, it'll answer questions you didn't even know you were going to ask! I know it did for me anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:05 pm 

Thanks for the link Retrograde that actually answers my Aliens plot question I guess James Cameron says the queen was one of the first chestbursters in the colony which means some of the colonists who responded to Newsts moms distress call must have also gone in and been infected!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:00 pm 

Do we ever really know whatan arcturian is? Is it some race of aliens or just like a colony of prostitutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I believe it was a throw-away reference to (original Alien scribe) Dan O'Bannon and Mobius's cyperpunk comic book "The Long Tomorrow". For an image of the Arcturian in that story, scroll halfway down on this page:

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk ... es-on.html

The tentacled thing on the bed is an Arcturian.

Male? Female? It don't matter when it's Arcturian!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm 

Oh my...yep creepy. So random idea anyone else think marines vs alien laser tag would be fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:11 am 

Service Number: A7/TQ2.0.22139E1
I took it from Prometheus that what we would call a Xenomorph had in fact been originally created as a bio weapon that the space jockey's, whatever they are called officially, lost control of, as is often the case with weapons of mass destruction. BTW, don’t you love how the makers of Prometheus (Scott and crew) went out of their way to explain that it was not a prequel to Alien, then when you watch it, it IS a prequel to Alien, at least on a franchise level. lol

No ground to give...not 1 inch... Major T. Gunn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm 

changed my mind about getting some arcturian poontang now. euuuugh looks like a squid that's been left in the sun too long

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:24 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
I seem to recall reference being made the the Alien eating silicone and metal and all sorts to fuel it's rapid growth...

I agree that the derelict is a long way off from the colony and atmosphere processor... A week or so away according to Lydecker... Even a couple of days... Now at the speed they'd be moving at in the vehicle on the surface of LV426 with the lack of roads and suitable surfaces to traverse it may be closer than you think but I'd reckon 50-100 miles minimum...

Timeline wise would Newt's dad have even made it back from the derelict given the length of the journey time?

Did a rescue team come out to them?

How did Newt's mother get dad back to the tractor when he was immobile after the facehugger latched on...?

In an interview, Cameron said he was aware of the cut scene in Alien hinting at the transformation of Brett and Dallas into eggs... He admitted to changing the direction... And given that the additional information shown in the cuts were still not known to the wider public, he could do what he liked...

I think before the first chest butter emerged, additional attempts at exploration were attempted and more people were infected... Before long, a number of adult sized Xenos were in the air ducts and people were going missing... A hive is formed in the atmosphere processor and a queen develops...

Etc Etc Etc...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."