The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: So what is next?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:33 am 
Given that A:CM isnt doing well...and I have to admit, the more I play it now, the less I enjoy it. Especially multiplayer.

IF....and that is a big "if", they actually bother with DLC....what will be next in the Aliens franchise? A sequel game? Prometheus II? A colonial Marines movie?

Post subject: Re: So what is next?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I would hope the DLC has been in the works a while and they are "pot committed" at this point. Maybe I'm a fool, but I have high hopes for it. Ive heard no rumors or anything about it, but in my opinion they can totally redeem themselves and save the game with 2 things.

1. Fill in/fix the story gaps (play out who and how the body ended up in Hick's tube, Show us what happened to the other 63 marines that assaulted the WY complex, and give us a real damn ending).

2. Do human on human online multiplayer (WY guys vs. Marines).

Maybe thats asking too much, but those things would 100% leave me feeling just great.

As for movie possibilities, I thought Prometheus 2 was already official? Doesnt matter, Ridley said himself it will go further away from the "Alien" storyline, not closer to it. But, eh, maybe it can still be good.

Unfortunately I don't see a movie focusing on the colonial marines ever. To be honest I'm not sure I'd want one. You see how the community was up in arms about variations in the aliens looks and lack of screen accurate gear (more so the last AvP game on the gear). Can you imagine what modern hollywood would do to it?? How some exec would take the Colonial marine and "make him better, edgier and hipper"?!? Tweaks in a game are one thing, if I saw an exec "improve it" the way they tend to do these days, I just dont think I could bear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am 
Singing the doom song...

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.32150E1
The Alien game by Creative Assembly looks like it is reaching testing now

http://www.creative-assembly.com/jobs/g ... sion-path/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:10 pm 
Lifer

bigbisont wrote:
Unfortunately I don't see a movie focusing on the colonial marines ever. To be honest I'm not sure I'd want one. You see how the community was up in arms about variations in the aliens looks and lack of screen accurate gear (more so the last AvP game on the gear). Can you imagine what modern hollywood would do to it?? How some exec would take the Colonial marine and "make him better, edgier and hipper"?!? Tweaks in a game are one thing, if I saw an exec "improve it" the way they tend to do these days, I just dont think I could bear it.

Quoted for truth!

We've had this discussion many moons ago. My take was pretty much exactly as Bigbisont described it...

There is a distinctive "soul" to the Colonial Marine Corps portrayed in "Aliens." It is what I (along with many of us here) fell in love with. If Hollywood tried to do it again, they "would" change things dramatically. The fact is they did have "another" military present in Alien: Resurrection--- does anybody really remember or care about the United Systems Military? Has anyone here tried to replicate one of their uniforms? About the only cool thing they had was the "shock rifle."

Any new film involving the USCM just wouldn't be the same, and there is far too great a possibility that the "soul" we fell in love with will not be there (meaning a HUGE disappointment). They won't make another Alien movie with the USCM as we already have "Aliens." As for a stand alone movie with just the USCM fighting a "different" species... they already made "Starship Troopers."

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:36 pm 
Ah yes...good point. I suppose there are very few directors that would and could preserve the feeling of Aliens. Unless Cameron changed his mind about doing another. Maybe Abrahms or Favreau could make a good one? Whedon?

What did Ridley Scot mean by taking the plot away from alien?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Magnus wrote:
Maybe Abrahms or Favreau could make a good one? Whedon?

What did Ridley Scot mean by taking the plot away from alien?

Joss Whedon actually wrote Alien: Resurrection. He had his chance...

As for Sir Ridley's quote, I believe it meant he wanted to explore other aspects of the universe the story takes place in. More "engineers", more new stuff not known. The "alien" as we know it and characters and elements that we have all come to know and love are aspects he has no intention to revisit. He wants to push on with something new and avoid the past staples.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm 

Just because the critics (and many fans) hate the game, doesn't mean the game isn't doing well financially. It's sold well over half a million copies on Xbox360 and PS3 and is still in the top five selling games currently. That's just in a few weeks. This number doesn't even include the people who purchased the PC version. It's not a critical success but it's heading towards financial success. Add in the Seasons Pass which is also selling well, and it's clear that even though this game didn't please everyone, there will be more of them.

Money talks.

As for Weadon writing Alien: Ressurection. What he wrote and what the end product was went completely sideways. It was nothing like his script. He has said in interviews that he was devastated with the final product and it's his one sour note. He hated the "newborn" way more than we did. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
Call down the Thunder

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.12149E1
I actually like the game, some stuff changed yes, but overall its a good Aliens side-story

Dropship Argonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:12 pm 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
Any word yet on what these DLC's are actually going to be?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm 

Shock Wave wrote:
Any word yet on what these DLC's are actually going to be?

Three content packs such as new levels for multiplayer, weapons, skins, etc etc and one that is a continuation of the campain. First one is out this month at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Only one so far is Bug Hunt this month which i am so looking forward to. i hope they rewrite the AI in that mode to be more a a threat like AVP 2010.And the Easter egg in the game with teh ships fighting was a hint that Prometheus and Alien will tie in at the end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 pm 
And make bughunt available offline...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
I've played through the story/campaign a number of times up to "Hardened" difficulty now, and have noticed lots of doors in almost every mission that are "locked" when you approach them. I believe those doors must lead to further missions (and more story development). I'm really enjoying the game and hope there are some nice surprises on the way in the upcoming DLC. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92155G1
The redeeming factor for me has been the challenges so far. If I didn't have things to unlock I probably would no longer play. They're not very inspired...but they keep it interesting I guess even if I'm railroaded into playing specific game types like Survivor which is not as fun as deathmatch so I can destroy sentry guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
I'm actually enjoiying it more and more as time goes by. Did the campaign for better or worse and now that it's been out a bit the online is getting pretty competitive and interesting. Everyone's leveling up and I see new strategies and Marine/xeno loadouts each time that keep me on my toes. Bring on the DLC :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Tentacle Chris wrote:
I'm actually enjoiying it more and more as time goes by. Did the campaign for better or worse and now that it's been out a bit the online is getting pretty competitive and interesting. Everyone's leveling up and I see new strategies and Marine/xeno loadouts each time that keep me on my toes. Bring on the DLC :)

Not completed the story yet (two missions to go I think) but multiplayer gets better each time, not just with my Marine and Xeno getting upgraded, but other randoms getting better at the game. :)

Played with three others earlier; they were all level 60 Marines (the highest?) and around level 30 Xenos, I was 32 and 16.

We rocked as both Xenos and Marines. Did two challenges in 40 minutes of play. 8)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92155G1
The thing that really gets me about this game is that tons and tons of other games have stolen from Aliens for the last 25 years. The Halo series has done it since day one. Aliens can't even do Aliens better than Halo can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

What's Next?
I imagine more crossovers, a few rip-offs and so on.

Personally I'm waiting for Mass Effect 4!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 pm 
Really an OK guy

SSgt Burton wrote:
bigbisont wrote:

Quoted for truth!

We've had this discussion many moons ago. My take was pretty much exactly as Bigbisont described it...

There is a distinctive "soul" to the Colonial Marine Corps portrayed in "Aliens." It is what I (along with many of us here) fell in love with. If Hollywood tried to do it again, they "would" change things dramatically. The fact is they did have "another" military present in Alien: Resurrection--- does anybody really remember or care about the United Systems Military? Has anyone here tried to replicate one of their uniforms? About the only cool thing they had was the "shock rifle."

Any new film involving the USCM just wouldn't be the same, and there is far too great a possibility that the "soul" we fell in love with will not be there (meaning a HUGE disappointment). They won't make another Alien movie with the USCM as we already have "Aliens." As for a stand alone movie with just the USCM fighting a "different" species... they already made "Starship Troopers."

Kevin

This.

It was plain in Aliens that the Marines regarded Bug Hunts as dull and routine, much like roach exterminators. A series or movie based on that would be boring. As to facing human forces, why would execs shell out the extra for sci-fi, when just making something like Combat, Tour of Duty, Saving Private Ryan or Generation Kill does the same job, without the added expense of futuristic hardware?

It'd be hard for anyone to recapture the magic of Cameron's characters. Hudson was whiney, but we loved him. Who else but Cameron and Paxton could pull that off?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm 
If found face down, Call a corpsman!

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42145E1
Hi guys I have seen footage of you and other marines in the tunnel that connects the colony to the Atmosphere processor with the sentry guns from th emovie holding off wave after wave of Aliens is this something that they are putting into the session pass ? also I pray they dont go down the Marines vers the W-Y company troops as this would be poo.

"I'm ready, man check it out. I am the ultimate badass! state of the badass art! You do not want to frak with me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:55 am 
Really an OK guy

It MAY be an aspect of the Bug Hunt mode, but there's a possibility this was just dumped footage from the E3, ahem, "gameplay" footage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

That scene still happens in the game, but the sentry gun is deployed in a different spot in Operations, so it's not that different to the E3 footage.

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 pm 

The scene in ops is not the scene in that I seen in the tunnels, I'm thinking that its been cut but really hope that it gets put back in.
Ive been playing Bug Hunt today and I like what im seeing wave after wave aliens then WY troops then back to the bugs. Very good co-op mode or option from the mutli player. I really hope that the rest of the season pass is as good as Bug hunt

"I'm ready, man check it out. I am the ultimate badass! state of the badass art! You do not want to frak with me."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Gunner2163 wrote:
The scene in ops is not the scene in that I seen in the tunnels, I'm thinking that its been cut but really hope that it gets put back in.

Thought you meant the bit in one of the first trailers, where the player picked up a sentry gun, then set it down next to team mates as xenos attacked, with one Marine getting pulled into a vent?

Was sure that was the narrow section in Operations (in the game, not the film), near to the map table.

Will try to find the vid and post it here.

Edit: Found it in the long version of the trailer at around 7:30 minutes in;
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/aliens- ... gameplay-1
The sentry gun is set down in an underground tunnel/vent, not the same corridor as seen in the film (and which is still in the game), but looks like they mixed that into the attack on Operations which is at the start of the trailer, as in the game you set the sentry gun up in there just before the attack.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 am 

Does anyone know when the next release for the season pass is ? and if so what it will be