The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: AVP Evolution (Ios/Android) Review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 pm 

Well I've spent some time with AVP Evolution for the Iphone. I've gone through most of the Alien missions and some of the Predators.

Graphics
-Looks nice. Animations are decent and the enviroments while simple are sharp.

Sound
-Sounds...erm...fine I guess. Generic action music and maybe one or two direct clips from Aliens itself. I suppose it gets the job done.

Story
-Meh. Same old same old. Predators have a temple with a hive below. Controlling the queen bla bla bla. WY is trying to control the Aliens... You get the idea.

Gameplay
- W...T...F... was my first (and last) reaction. Aliens can't wall walk at all. Predators can't do much more either. Both move about 5 miles per hour slower than a damn snail. They feel NOTHING like a deadly killing machine. Attacking is similar to a brawler style with a swipe or two for the arms and tail. Extremely poorly done I should add. It feels completely awful. The ONLY cool thing the Aliens/Predators get to do are some finishing moves that look great. They can't go into vents (except in crappy cutscenes that hardly count as cut scenes). They can't climb. They jump but can't pounce on anything. If you jump you can't attack while in the air (again WTF...). I seriously don't understand at all what the developer was thinking...

Getting to play as a Facehugger and Chestburster was cool for all of the 20 seconds they let you do it.

Final Verdict-
If you hated Aliens:Colonial Marines then this one is going to make you want to stomp on your phone until nothing of this worthless game exists. It's not even a good MOBILE game at all. If you loved Aliens: Colonial Marines, you will STILL find this to be a big pile of dung sprinkled with "final nail in the coffin" sauce.

This game is f**king terrible.

Post subject: Re: AVP Evolution (Ios/Android) Review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
So I'm gonna file this one under "wait till it goes on sale"... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Pepperpete wrote:
Both move about 5 miles per hour slower than a damn snail. They feel NOTHING like a deadly killing machine.

I hear a lot of complaints by people trying to play this with only 512mb RAM in their devices, even those with almost that whole amount free and available.
What's your iPhone got?

Might the slow/crappy gameplay be due to platform limitations, perhaps? It's got a fair few favourable reviews so far, it seems...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Pepperpete wrote:
Both move about 5 miles per hour slower than a damn snail. They feel NOTHING like a deadly killing machine.

I hear a lot of complaints by people trying to play this with only 512mb RAM in their devices, even those with almost that whole amount free and available.
What's your iPhone got?

Might the slow/crappy gameplay be due to platform limitations, perhaps? It's got a fair few favourable reviews so far, it seems...

It's not the system slowing down for this game, it's a game design choice. For example Modern Combat 4, Real Racing 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and most of the high end Gameloft games are all console quality titles that run fantastic on the Iphone devices. They often look better than the 360/PS3 simply because the screen is smaller. I've got an Iphone 4S and no way can system limitations be applied here. The game itself runs smooth as silk. It just plays awful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
So I'm gonna file this one under "wait till it goes on sale"... :lol:

Similar for me I think. Filed under 'wait until it's free'... :lol:

Thanks for the review... Err, 'Warning' Pepperpete. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:44 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

After finally joining the world on a modern platform (Android) I'm finding SOOO much crap out there. The only differences between Andy apps and Windows Mobile 5 are the better graphics and the higher prices.
You can download vibrator apps, FFS... Who DOES this??!!

Oh well... Is their Predators game any good, then?
If not, I'll carry on playing Tron lightcycles!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
After finally joining the world on a modern platform (Android) I'm finding SOOO much crap out there. The only differences between Andy apps and Windows Mobile 5 are the better graphics and the higher prices.
You can download vibrator apps, FFS... Who DOES this??!!

Oh well... Is their Predators game any good, then?
If not, I'll carry on playing Tron lightcycles!!

Predators was ok for a diversion. I enjoyed it for what it was. The Predator section in AVP is better than the Alien side. But that's not saying much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92155G1
The trailer looked neat, at least the designs seemed cool and the graphics looked solid. BUT, I definitely noticed the brawler style fighting that looked ridiculous, especially as the Alien.