The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Stan the pet alien - funny video illustrating AI problems
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

I know some people on here don't think there are issues with the AI in this game. Have a look at this, it's hilarious.

http://youtu.be/u8prB2CH400

Found it here:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=247191

Post subject: Re: Stan the pet alien - funny video illustrating AI problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.92155G1
Unbelievable.

I think the videos of people playing co-op encountering problems are pretty entertaining. I liked the segments in AngryJoe's review where they were calling O'Neal an asshole because he was blocking the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 am 

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.72160E1
Its almost huggable, hooray for Stan =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 am 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
Of course I love that. Cute Aliens are just plain cute ... ;)

Alien1099 wrote:
I know some people on here don't think there are issues with the AI in this game.

I wonder if people mean to say there aren't any AI issues with the game (having performed a formal verification process on the source code, confirming that it is flawless and implements a maximally-optimal algorithm), or if they are just saying they haven't personally experienced any issues?

Myself, I've hit a few things - notably a facehugger who got stuck under his own egg, and also O'Neil deciding to stand in front of a sentry gun for a couple of minutes, throwing blood everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 am 

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.72160E1
I had to listen to O'Neil yelling in pain for 4 minutes and constant Sentry gun fire while I ran around the long way trying to turn them off, you would of thought he would, yknow, step back one pace into cover ;) So thats my experience with dodgy AI, that and he would stand in my way an I cant go through a door.

As regards to that video, the Xenos are almost adorable..when they're not trying to tear your face off.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:46 am 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
Coredeath wrote:
I had to listen to O'Neil yelling in pain for 4 minutes and constant Sentry gun fire while I ran around the long way trying to turn them off, you would of thought he would, yknow, step back one pace into cover ;)

Looks like that might be a specific common issue then ... let's hope it's patched even if it's done as a special case for that situation rather than by actually making O'Neil realise the value of his own life ... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 am 

I had O'neal get stuck at a sentry gun, too. He just kinda laid there like he was expecting a revive. Not even triggering the next cinematic made him get up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:32 am 

I snuck up on a Facehugger. :/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 am 

Hudson JM wrote:
I snuck up on a Facehugger. :/

Do you mean a raccoon? That's what they sound like at least. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 am 

Yeah...I'm baffled by all these noises...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 am 
Spark Chaser

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.32146E1
Hudson JM wrote:
Yeah...I'm baffled by all these noises...

QFT.

I'm not sure why they didn't just give them a skittering noise and leave it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 am 

I'm not sure why they didn't do a lot of things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:07 pm 
Jigoku e masshigura

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.32122E1
Don't know if anyone else experienced this in campaign mode, but the part where you encounter the Crusher for the first time gave me fits the first couple of times I tried to fight or get past it. As soon as I'd get within a certain distance it would charge. I unloaded everything into it, grenades, incendiary rounds, mines, the works... and it just chased me around until it trampled me to death. Meanwhile my AI partners just stood by firing away at it and the swarm of xenos that appeared in its wake. I must've had a red target painted on my chest plate or something. Anyway, I had no clue how to get on to the next objective.

Getting tired of this, I finally just ran to the pile of debris where the paths fork and waited there. The Crusher appeared and sat next to the APC not moving while the two AI goofs blasted away at it. I popped one xeno that tried to sneak up on me and that was it. After a couple of minutes the Crusher just fell over dead, and we all then headed merrily off to the dropship. I don't know if that was a glitch or what, but at that point I really didn't care! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 pm 

Mudshark wrote:
Don't know if anyone else experienced this in campaign mode, but the part where you encounter the Crusher for the first time gave me fits the first couple of times I tried to fight or get past it. As soon as I'd get within a certain distance it would charge. I unloaded everything into it, grenades, incendiary rounds, mines, the works... and it just chased me around until it trampled me to death. Meanwhile my AI partners just stood by firing away at it and the swarm of xenos that appeared in its wake. I must've had a red target painted on my chest plate or something. Anyway, I had no clue how to get on to the next objective.

Getting tired of this, I finally just ran to the pile of debris where the paths fork and waited there. The Crusher appeared and sat next to the APC not moving while the two AI goofs blasted away at it. I popped one xeno that tried to sneak up on me and that was it. After a couple of minutes the Crusher just fell over dead, and we all then headed merrily off to the dropship. I don't know if that was a glitch or what, but at that point I really didn't care! :lol:

I had the same problem only there were no other aliens. The crusher completely ignored my two AI squadmates and focused on me. Basically doing a slow walk to me continuously unless it got too close (in which case it would charge). My squadmates just stayed back near the entrance to the area and never moved. The only thing they did was shoot the crusher when it came into their field of view. I played ring around the rosie with it around that circular terrain feature (hill of sorts) and eventually I got it stuck on the APC and they killed it. :P

You're right though, it seemed impossible to kill because it only ever faces directly at you and is invulnerable from the front even if you shoot at its legs and not its crest. Who thought that was a good idea? It makes no sense. It was a pretty awful boss fight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:14 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Alien1099 wrote:
Mudshark wrote:

I had the same problem only there were no other aliens. The crusher completely ignored my two AI squadmates and focused on me. Basically doing a slow walk to me continuously. My squadmates just stayed back near the entrance to the area and never moved. The only thing they did was shoot the crusher when it came into their field of view. I played ring around the rosie with it around that circular terrain feature (hill of sorts) and eventually I got it stuck on the APC and they killed it. :P

You're right thought, it seemed impossible to kill because it only ever faces directly at you and is invulnerable from the front even if you shoot at its legs and not its crest. Who thought that was a good idea? It makes no sense.

I had success with a bullfighter move. I got my back near a wall or object, when it charges you move to sidestep it (you dont move very fast, so I will say it does feel clunky, not like a "dive to the side" at all). As soon as it passes you, it will hit the wall or whatever and do its head shake or whatever it does. At that point you shoot it in the ass. You only have a second, as I barely got off a single shotgun blast, but it can be done. I eventually realized if I make it charge the walls near my 'buddies' they also shot it after you sidestep it and it crashes. Didnt take too long that way.

I admit the process feels clunky and not particularly 'fun', but in my PS3 experience it never struck me as an "AI problem". Just a touch tedious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:27 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
Alien1099 wrote:
Mudshark wrote:

I had the same problem only there were no other aliens. The crusher completely ignored my two AI squadmates and focused on me. Basically doing a slow walk to me continuously. My squadmates just stayed back near the entrance to the area and never moved. The only thing they did was shoot the crusher when it came into their field of view. I played ring around the rosie with it around that circular terrain feature (hill of sorts) and eventually I got it stuck on the APC and they killed it. :P

You're right thought, it seemed impossible to kill because it only ever faces directly at you and is invulnerable from the front even if you shoot at its legs and not its crest. Who thought that was a good idea? It makes no sense.

I had success with a bullfighter move. I got my back near a wall or object, when it charges you move to sidestep it (you dont move very fast, so I will say it does feel clunky, not like a "dive to the side" at all). As soon as it passes you, it will hit the wall or whatever and do its head shake or whatever it does. At that point you shoot it in the ass. You only have a second, as I barely got off a single shotgun blast, but it can be done. I eventually realized if I make it charge the walls near my 'buddies' they also shot it after you sidestep it and it crashes. Didnt take too long that way.

I admit the process feels clunky and not particularly 'fun', but in my PS3 experience it never struck me as an "AI problem". Just a touch tedious.

There was definitely an issue with the AI in my fight as evidenced by the lack of desire on my squadmates part to give chase to the crusher, only shooting it if it was in their field of view. The crusher only attacking the player is also very sloppy game design/scripting, at least that's what happened to me. The fact that it just sat there once I got the APC between the crusher and me is more evidence of this. It had no sort of programming telling it to go around.