The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
It would turn my fanboy hate-mail up to 11 if it was made public that Abe wore glitter as well as a dog collar ...

Specular highlights on the Aliens? Let's hope they didn't fake it with glitter in the game or the Internet might explode. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:54 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
But its not any Glitter its LV426 moonglow

Post subject: Re: Honest review of Colonial Marines (With spoilers!)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

The whole infrared/Smartgun/tracking thing is hypothetical... I'm trying to convey a vehicle that would allow the Smartgun to be in the game while also having it be balanced.

I'd even say the Smartgun is balanced as it is now. Sure it has autotracking but I don't know how many times I've picked it up just to be killed seconds later. Even with your head on a swivel it's so damn easy for the bugs to attack you from behind or above. The fact that you can't use your motion tracker while you have it is a huge disadvantage. It doesn't seem to do any more damage than a Pulse Rifle, either. AND you burn through the ammo like crazy. I just wish they made the sound better!

Still fun to use!

-HUMVEE Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:59 pm 
Call down the Thunder

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.12149E1
Where is Hudson and Apone etc in this game??

Dropship Argonne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm 

They are Special Content you get by buying the Special Edition. You can play as them in the Multiplayer games.

-HUMVEE Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:26 pm 
Call down the Thunder

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.12149E1
Oh. Can us normals get them?

Dropship Argonne

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 pm 
Really an OK guy

J2H wrote:
Oh. Can us normals get them?

Can't say anything for the US, but in the UK the only edition I've seen for sale, certainly in Bristol, is the 'Limited Edition', and this is just the regular price, including the DLC Code for the Movie Marines.

But regarding the smartgun targeting, we know so little about how they were supposed to work on screen. It could be the aliens, once they started moving, became warmer than the surrounding environment so could be targeted, or maybe Drake and Vasquez went to manual, firing at visible targets rather than relying on any kind of tracking system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:37 pm 

Agreed. The point I'm making is: let's find a way to get a balanced Smartgun in the game. I think that comes before the tech info on how it targets.

But, for argument’s sake; Apone orders everyone to go to infrared. Presumably, the Smartgunners don't because their weapons already track by IR. Then, every single Marine using their IR viewer thingy gets ambushed and completely taken by surprise. I can't believe that if the aliens have an IR signature NO ONE saw anything coming. Also, just before Dietrich makes her comment, she was looking right at the alien that grabbed her and she didn't see it. I think it's safe to say they couldn't see the aliens with infrared. Therefore: aliens don't show up on infrared.

Just my opinion.

You might make the argument that there was interference from the processor/ambient air temp. Maybe, but not enough that hyper-alert Marines trained with using IR viewers in combat situations would miss incoming hostiles.

-HUMVEE Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 pm 
You know, you would have a smartgun with manual fire, and if there were something like killstreaks...then a smartgunner streak could be assisted targeting for 30 seconds or something. Or a rechargable ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 pm 
Really an OK guy

In AVP:2010, the smartgun took up both weapon slots, so once was empty, you'd be back to your pistol, unless you picked up a weapon (which in the movie I think is where Drake obtained the incinerator, I didn't notice him carrying one before).

Of course, that wouldn't work with A:CM as is, because they use the "Magic Pockets" system. Maybe you can use a smartgun, but cannot access your inventory until you respawn or another player dies? And, you cannot respawn with the smartgun, preventing the suicide reload in deathmatches, where you deliberately get killed when out of ammo.

The aliens themselves could indeed be cold-blooded, this would tie in with the fact that they show up black on Pred vision in AVP. Once again means the smartguns either have an additional targeting system (limited motion tracking combined with IR?), or Drake and Vasquez did it old-school, disabled that targeting as was useless and aimed visually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm 

Yeah... I don't like how you can have a main weapon, with ANOTHER main weapon slung over your back. In the campaign, you have access to every weapon!

I think it should be that you choose your main weapon and your secondary is something small, like a submachine gun at the most. Or maybe a PIG or something, but not another main weapon.

-HUMVEE Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 am 
Really an OK guy

Reminds me of a Resident Evil meme I saw once :-

"I'm sorry, I can't have that egg, my pockets are full of rifles".

One thing I also don't like; hell, I'm not a fan of COD, but that still doesn't let you walk around with a trunk full of guns. I think the campaign be more challenging if you had to decide before the chapter starts which weapons you were going to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 am 

Yeah, agree with that. Where's the peril when you have access to every gun in the game, whenever you want it?

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 am 
Full access to your entire armoury greatly killed the sense of urgency or peril in this game. They should nerf that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Am I the only one that played the campaign start to finish with only the Pulse Rifle and shotgun?

I didnt upgrade or use a different weapon until the second play through and online. I had no desire to use anything else so I simply didnt. I wasnt looking at like an 'honor system' to make it hard, I just looked at it like a 'purity' system. The other weapons have almost zero appeal to me, so why bother? Perhaps I'm in the minority though.

EDIT: Of course I used the smartgun and flamethrower when available. They are still in my 'purity' plan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 pm 
Really an OK guy

Three weapons I use the most are the pulse rifle, shotgun and the battle rifle with smart-sight (last one real handy when facing the Wey-Yu PMC). Rarely use any of the others, apart from the pick-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm 

I use pulse and pump action in campaign, and onl used other weapons when doing challenges

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
I use the pulse and the battle rifle which is great for holding back and using the sniper sight now if only I can get people to play online like Marines and not COD style by rushing off to get the glory themselves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:42 pm 

Service Number: D A12/TQ1.0.32141E1
Well, finally finished the campaign part of the game. As I stated in the other thread, my sister and I (both in our 40's) played together on PS3. At first we'd meet up to play campaign together but kept arguing as I wanted to explore every nook and cranny while she wanted to race through it, she's a fan, just not as big a fan as me. So we decided to just play through the campaign separately and then meet up later on, when we'd both completed campaign for some co op. We both REALLY enjoyed the campaign! and I'm glad that I didn't race through it all in one go, I've enjoyed having a game to look forward to playing as and when I can.

Now that I have finished the campaign here are my thoughts on the game itself:

I loved the mash up of ALIEN themes in the soundtrack, right from the start I felt like I was in the Aliens universe.
I didn't care much for the characters or story, a lot of the dialogue had me cringing in places "Ooh Raa" Personally I don't see the point in elaborate character development/story within a game. I prefer a 'premise' rather than a fully fledged story (not that you could call it that) When I buy a game I do so because I want to PLAY a game, not because I want to see a story. That said, I didn't hate the story, it was mildly entertaining, just unnecessary in my opinion.

Loved all the weapons, and the upgrades for them. sound effects are fab! everything from doors opening/closing to tracker/guns/welder etc. The only disappointment was the powerloader effect, rather than the familiar solid whirr/THUD....THUD....THUD that we all recognize it was like tottering along in a pair of stilletos! I also expected to hear the occasional familiar ALIEN screech that was used several times in ALIENS, you know which one I mean. These aren't complaints, just my observations. I don't know if I had my settings set up wrong but I don't think I ever at any point was damaged by acid blood? I'd have liked to have seen more eggs and facehuggers too, perhaps a whole horde of facehuggers! There were some moments within the campaign that were really scary/creepy, the whole sneaking about section in the sewers, great fun! I played through on Soldier difficulty, some moments were really hard that took me ages to get past. Whereas the finale with the Queen was so easy.....I don't know whether I fluked it but it was a piece of piss...wasn't it? There was nothing difficult or challenging about it, yeah, I was a bit disappointed there.

I really didn't like the fact that throughout most of the game you're accompanied by a character. It really started to get on my nerves when exploring and 'securing' an area that O'neil would go over and open the bloody door before I was ready!

To sum things up. despite the odd niggle I really loved playing this game, I felt that it captured the feel of the film, both in atmosphere and action. As a big fan of ALIENS it was a dream come true to play, being able to explore Hadley's Hope was nostalgic for me and there were a lot of nice touches thrown in for the fans. Last night I played along with my sister on HARDENED, it was great! Aliens everywhere! "they're comin' outta the God damn walls!"
looking forward to getting into the online co op now :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 pm 
Really an OK guy

You do get damaged by the acid blood if they're too close, but unless you've already been hurt slightly so it can take you down below the health-bar break point, it doesn't effect you too much.

The AI can be annoying as hell, but also handy - he did save my ass a couple of times when I was reloading, had an alien bearing down on me, and he took them out.

Ultimate Badass mode is quite a challenge, especially having no HUD (I really appreciate Gearbox putting the pulse-rifle counter where I can see it, rather than where the audience could in the movie). And on that mode, I've actually had a couple of "I can't reload? Oh SHIT!!" moments! Also, those Wey-Yu troops can be a nightmare "Okay, let's just fight across the bay to get to the dropship release clamps, oh I just got hit in the chest with a grenade!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 am 

bigbisont, I'm loving your 'purity' outlook. There may be better weapons, but I'll only use the Pulse Rifle, or the Flamethrower or Smartgun if I can pick them up.

- HUMVEE Driver