The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Honest review of Colonial Marines (With spoilers!)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm 

Have just started with my copy of Colonial Marines on the xbox 360. So far the game is very impressive, the default controls work well. The motion tracker adds to the tension. The Xenomorphs are fast and clever with a tendacy to use flanking tactics, also tend to ambush you and your Marines. The weapons work well, and shread a zeno quickly. Sound is great from the report of the pulse rifle to the screams of a xeno being blown apart. The games music has a sound similar to the scores of Alien and Aliens. Highly recommend that you play the game in a darkened room. I rate Aliens Colonial Marines 5 out of 5, a must for any Aliens fan. good hunting.

Post subject: Re: honest review of colonial marines (no spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm 
Alien Queen

I would have to agree with you, friend.

If I'm being totally honest, I admit to having a few things I would nitpick at in the story and some of the animations. However, did I enjoy the game? Hells yes, I did. It was really scary at times, it was intense at many other times. The franchise tie-ins and fill-in-the blanks were excellent and did, indeed, make A3 better for it.

I feel, personally, SEGA and Gearbox hit their mark: it was like playing an Aliens movie.

I also couldn't agree more with the suggestion to play this at night, in the dark. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm 

Your experience differs from mine. I've personally seen aliens simply sit there as if they have their leg stuck in a bear trap as well as warp through walls and the floor and then back again. When they die it looks like somebody simply hit the off button or they were hit with a heavy dose of sedatives. They just practically freeze in place and then disappear.

The animations are subpar. The textures are fairly low quality.

The music seems to be heavily Alien: Resurrection inspired so far and I personally don't care for it.

Voice acting is from average to downright bad.

At the beginning you have O'Neal yelling "xenos!" (and I personally hate that term) like he's been fighting a war with them for years and the first time a "lurker" appears he yells "LURKER!" Stuff happens that doesn't make sense like the guy blowing himself up in the umbilical and thus nearly killing you and your buddy.

That's pretty indicative of the polish of the game. Nobody seems to have played the game during development and told them that "This doesn't make any sense."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Ha, you mix two instances like that with O'Neil's later observation when asked "where do these stairs go?" in a previously unexplored area with "how would any of us know that?" and yeah, the inconsistencies of his prescience are apparent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

Well, this turned "Spoilery". I thought it was obvious why he used the grenade. But I won't explain it here, because it's a spoiler.

And even in Aliens, they knew about "Bug Hunts", so why would Xeno be a word not used to describe Alien Life Forms?

ImageImage

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Spatman wrote:
Well, this turned "Spoilery".

I've edited the thread title to reflect this.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

E3 two years ago spoiled that part. In that vein Bruce Willis is also dead ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm 

Spatman wrote:
Well, this turned "Spoilery". I thought it was obvious why he used the grenade. But I won't explain it here, because it's a spoiler.

And even in Aliens, they knew about "Bug Hunts", so why would Xeno be a word not used to describe Alien Life Forms?

The Marines in Aliens had no idea what they were facing hence all of their skepticism when it came to Ripley, making fun of her, and completely ignoring all of her warnings. It was a completely new scenario and an enemy unlike anything they'd ever encountered before, hence why they grossly underestimated what the creatures were capable of and why they got their asses kicked. "Bug hunt" doesn't imply killing aliens. It implied something along the lines of a wild goose chase or something, at least that's the way I took it. Calling them "xenos" is just corny and out of place. The only time Xenomorph is mentioned in the movie was when Goreman mentions it. Using a nickname like that implies some sort of familiarity. The fact that the first time you encounter one he's already crying out "lurker" the instant he sees a slightly different looking alien wreaks of a lack of common sense on the part of the writers and developers.

And I know why that guy blew himself up, but it made no sense because in doing so he nearly blew his buddies up too. You don't blow yourself up next to your buddies and vent the atmosphere because you're going to die. Also that scene was in the trailers and is at the very beginning of the game. It's not much of a spoiler nor did I give much in the way of specifics.

Post subject: Re: Honest review of Colonial Marines (With spoilers!)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.62152E1
Personally. I think the AI is garbage. 5 years. Really?

A01/TQ2.0.52152E1
Cpl Waldon B, Callsign: Waldo New York-USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 am 
95.2.00 - Adios Man!

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.02160E1
Personally. I really disliked it. =[

13th Regt. 1st Batt. 'Freebooters'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am 

I like it. Never discovered any problems with the AI. Gamepla in general is fine, imo. No worse than dross like MW3.

My only problems were with the story's inconsistancies and ending.

As a very long thread on here once debated, have the marines seen other alien life before? They didn't seem bothered by Ripley seeing an alien, they badge calls them bug stompers and they use bug hunt as a familiar term AFTER they hear there may be a xenomorph. Sounds like they've maybe seen some (much less dangerous) enemies.
And they have been fighting on Sulaco for a while before the game starts. So no doubt they would have identified xenomorph contact, and soldiers nickname things VERY quickly (no ranker is going to say xenomorph repeatedly, of course they'd nickname them). Don't the Sulaco's marines refer to them as bugs in the film after they meet them? Didn't take them long to become familiar and nickname them

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 am 

In Ultimate Badass Mode the Aliens NEVER stand around. They are fast, nasty and deadly. People need to stop playing it on panzy mode and see if they have the same experience. :)

I played co-op all night with a few friends so AI wasn't a problem at all. I am absolutely LOVING the game so far. This is the first time they really nailed the sound of the Pulse Rifle. The graphics are fantastic on PC and make the 360 version look truly like shit...no seriously I feel SORRY for anyone who doesn't get to play on PC. Yes it's an action game first and foremost but I'm ok with that. The story is a bit thin but it's not terrible.

I absolutely love it. The complaints I've seen so far do NOT even come close to how I feel about the game. We are having a blast and I can't see that changing.

I do have to stress that we are playing on Ultimate Badass Mode. No hud. No regenerating health. Friendly Fire. Aliens are dam hard to beat. Very limited ammo. This is the only way I would want to play.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
I posted this in another forum-

"I love it! My Colonial Marines buddies, we played it last night and it was awesome. It wasn't Modern Warfare or Halo, it was the sequel to Aliens. Great recreation of sets used in the film, characters, upgrades to USCM Weapontry- nailed the camo bdus and armor.

Playing it with guys who DON'T run full speed thru everything and instead play it like the film, "Watch those corners!", exploring the enviroment, hunting for legendary weapons, dog tags, audio logs is a blast.

It creates the enviroment of the film superbly. Fun as all hell.

It does NOT have the graphics of Halo, MW, GOW, etc. So instead of concentrating on what is NOT there, concentrate on what IS there.

It's Colonial Marines fighting Alien scum, fighting WY Mercs, it's rescuing Hicks, it is altogether fun!!!

It's campaign is too short. But for us diehard Colonial Marines, who have full on 1/1 USCM armor, camo, all other gear etc. it is awesome!

Bottomline, it ain't perfect by any means, but what it has, is really enjoyable. I wish it did have an option to choose from 1st person to 3rd person myself. I really enjoyed Gears of War for that reason. (well, not JUST that reason! lol)"

I played much of the campaign yesterday with Rook and Devildog917 and we had a throughly awesome, awesome time!!

IT IS THE SEQUEL TO ALIENS THAT WE HAVE ALL WANTED FOR YEARS!! It is pure Colonial Marine Awesome-ness!!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm 

Hollis DZC wrote:

"I love it! My Colonial Marines buddies, we played it last night and it was awesome. It wasn't Modern Warfare or Halo, it was the sequel to Aliens. Great recreation of sets used in the film, characters, upgrades to USCM Weapontry- nailed the camo bdus and armor.

Playing it with guys who DON'T run full speed thru everything and instead play it like the film, "Watch those corners!", exploring the enviroment, hunting for legendary weapons, dog tags, audio logs is a blast.

It does NOT have the graphics of Halo, MW, GOW, etc. So instead of concentrating on what is NOT there, concentrate on what IS there.

It's Colonial Marines fighting Alien scum, fighting WY Mercs, it's rescuing Hicks, it is altogether fun!!!

It's campaign is too short. But for us diehard Colonial Marines, who have full on 1/1 USCM armor, camo, all other gear etc. it is awesome!

Bottomline, it ain't perfect by any means, but what it has, is really enjoyable. I wish it did have an option to choose from 1st person to 3rd person myself. I really enjoyed Gears of War for that reason. (well, not JUST that reason! lol)"

I played much of the campaign yesterday with Rook and Devildog917 and we had a throughly awesome, awesome time!!

IT IS THE SEQUEL TO ALIENS THAT WE HAVE ALL WANTED FOR YEARS!! It is pure Colonial Marine Awesome-ness!!

I absolutely couldn't agree more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Perfect? No. Perfect for us? Hell yes :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Hollis DZC wrote:

Well said that man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
Bottom line is - it's not perfect and had a torturous development. It was an epic battle for many of the people involved to get it out the door at all. However, it's the best Aliens FPS for a long time, in my opinion of course.

But I know better than anyone: there is nothing in life that you can't not enjoy if you try hard enough.

I know I'll regret asking this, but: If you disregard the many years of anticipation for this, do many people genuinely think it's worse than AvP:2010?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 pm 

Pug50 wrote:
Bottom line is - it's not perfect and had a torturous development. It was an epic battle for many of the people involved to get it out the door at all. However, it's the best Aliens FPS for a long time, in my opinion of course.

But I know better than anyone: there is nothing in life that you can't not enjoy if you try hard enough.

I know I'll regret asking this, but: If you disregard the many years of anticipation for this, do many people genuinely think it's worse than AvP:2010?

I still enjoyed AVP2010 but I'm enjoying this a heck of alot more. Without a doudt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 pm 

Alien1099 wrote:
Your experience differs from mine. I've personally seen aliens simply sit there as if they have their leg stuck in a bear trap as well as warp through walls and the floor and then back again. When they die it looks like somebody simply hit the off button or they were hit with a heavy dose of sedatives. They just practically freeze in place and then disappear.

The music seems to be heavily Alien: Resurrection inspired so far and I personally don't care for it.

At the beginning you have O'Neal yelling "xenos!" (and I personally hate that term) like he's been fighting a war with them for years and the first time a "lurker" appears he yells "LURKER!" Stuff happens that doesn't make sense like the guy blowing himself up in the umbilical and thus nearly killing you and your buddy.

That's pretty indicative of the polish of the game. Nobody seems to have played the game during development and told them that "This doesn't make any sense."

This.

Also if this batch of Marines had enough knowledge of xenomorphs to call them by name, why are they so surprised that Bella's got a xeno baby in her? "Oh I woke up and found this thing dead next to me. I'm okay."

Not to mention the whole premise invalidates several aspects of Alien 3's plot. The location of the Sulaco, Hicks, etc. All of which are handled so ham-fistedly.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Pepperpete wrote:
Pug50 wrote:

I still enjoyed AVP2010 but I'm enjoying this a heck of alot more. Without a doudt.

I second that assessment.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 am 

gt3stuntman wrote:
Alien1099 wrote:

This.

Also if this batch of Marines had enough knowledge of xenomorphs to call them by name, why are they so surprised that Bella's got a xeno baby in her? "Oh I woke up and found this thing dead next to me. I'm okay."

Not to mention the whole premise invalidates several aspects of Alien 3's plot. The location of the Sulaco, Hicks, etc. All of which are handled so ham-fistedly.

I was fairly certain they explain why Sulaco goes back to Lv-426. And why Hicks is alive (come on peoples, who DIDN'T want Hicks to survive the piple of dross that was A3's opening?). They have been fighting the aliens for a couple of hours now - why wouldn't they call them bugs or xenomorphs(or shorten that to xenos)? Sulaco's crew did in a short amount of time too, but everyone seems to forget that. Military in real life nickname things IN A HEARTBEAT.
Also, they DO tell Bella she's f*cked. To her face.

Read it here!

Last edited by Garrowan5th on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 am 

Also, love when you try to customise Ripley's rifle - "you already have a flamer...duct-taped to a pulse rifle....what more could you want" hehe

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 am 
Dresser of Nerds

Did you try to mod Hicks' Shotgun? :)

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:49 am 

Yup! He wouldn't like it :D

And Spat, we have a RL friend in common ;)

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 am 
Dresser of Nerds

Is it a dirty, secret friend?

ImageImage