The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 am 

She might be! :p a small hockey fan who claims allegiance to you

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:11 am 
Dresser of Nerds

A Fuzzy one?

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 am 

Whiskers and all sorts!

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 am 

She was keen to find out what I thunk of the game.

And peoples! I'm Crichton5 on xbox live! Add me!

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Go Clan! ( Not that clan :p )

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 am 

Huzzah! 4-1 vs Hull tonight!

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 am 

But aye, enjoying the game on MP. Though I'm not a Marine would like to play alongside you chaps and chapettes

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:37 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

LOL - Thought so. Kat's been in GW quite a bit of late for some reason ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 am 

I also tend to find am a better Alien than Marine....

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 am 

Scapey.....do I know you??

I mean, beyond the forum. I work in GW. I also know James Odin...

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

I'm Kat's ex husband - And I own Section 8 Airsoft.
So I've likely MET you... You told me when you signed up here that you work in GW :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 am 

*facepalm* so I did :D

Ah, that's right, now I remember she mentioned you. Couldn't remember the user name though :D

Read it here!

Post subject: What I think of ACM. No Spoilers.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.62152E1
Read all the way through please. There are things about the game that irritated me and things i liked. In campaign, mainly the way the alien AI attack you. Aliens are sneeky, right? they come from vents and underneath and attack from all crazy angles. They just kinda jumped down and ran at you. "here kill me I am an alien." they jumped sometimes but still easy to kill. I liked the weapons. Liked the legendary weapons, though i dont think they had any special abilities with the exception of Vasquez's smartgun which holds more ammo I believe. There are nods to the movie for people like us, who will actually understand and know what to look for. finding all the audio logs kinda has a little side story. no much though. finding the dog tags is a bit of a challenge. Without giving away any details about the plot it kinda gets...lost...i guess. I appreciate leave no Marine behind, because I am a Marine, but that was most of your objectives. I would like to be specific but i didnt want to do spoilers. Has an interesting start. What happened to the Sulaco? How did it get back to LV-426? Answered. but after that there isnt really much to the story. everyone can kinda guess what Wey-Yu was up to. If you have seen the movies and read any of the books you know what Wey-Yu does and ends up messing everything up anyway. I remember the hype about this game was the TENSION. at no time did i feel that. even while using the motion tracker. Boss fights were meh. I have it for 360. heard the graphics for the computer are awesome. I like multiplayer though. thats fun. its a challenge with the aliens. Overall, after waiting all these years.....i expected more. they outsourced the campaign. why? you had such a wealth of knowledge and all this time. Should have kept it in house. You talked to Cameron and all these people and couldnt put together a game of the year? I dont get it. They left it open for another one, but will they make another one after this? I hope so. Kinda long, sorry. Just had to get my thoughts out. Hope to play with you guys online.

A01/TQ2.0.52152E1
Cpl Waldon B, Callsign: Waldo New York-USA

Post subject: Re: Honest review of Colonial Marines (With spoilers!)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:39 pm 

I beat it last night. The ending was indicative of the overall quality of the game, that is to say uninspiring. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. Definitely not worth $50-$60 even if you're an Aliens fan. If you are, it'll be worth getting when it's on sale for $5 which I'm sure it will be soon enough like Duke Nukem Forever was.

All of the cumulative little gripes start to take a toll on my outlook of the game, from the way the aliens and other enemies simply get their power switched flipp to the off position when they die, to the shoddy AI that frequently stands there and does nothing, to the poor pathing, to the outlandish aliens, to the pulse rifle they felt the need to molest, to the new generic and goofy looking weapons (shotgun on a shotgun? seriously?), to the mediocre to outright bad voice acting, to the nonsensical plot, to the linearity (being able to detour 3 meters doesn't make a "wide corridor"), to the poorly done animations, to the silly boss fights (fighting the crusher had me playing ring around the rosie and the raven just had me sitting there bashing it over and over), to the dated graphics, to the... I will just stop there.

I can overlook it when a game has one or two of these problems. Far Cry 3 had a ridiculous story and plot but the game overall was very good in my opinion. Dishonored had dated graphics, but everything else about it was great. Crysis 2 was relatively linear, but I thought everything else about it was amazing. Far Cry had outlandish enemies when the mutants showed up but otherwise was a very very good game. Mass Effect 3 had one of the worst endings in the history of gaming, but the game overall was actually very good ending aside. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had silly boss fights, especially the "boss" in the very last level, but overall it was an amazing game. Aliens just has too little going for it and too much that serves to detract from it. I don't think they had any test audiences have a look at it or much in the way of play testing.

The two things I think the game had going for it were a few of the assets seemed to be half way decent like the dropships, APCs, Sulaco, the soldier, and the lurker (despite the redesgined legs). The other was the sounds of the pulse rifle and the smartgun. They seemed almost recreated perfectly rather than sampled from the movie. Every other Aliens game has done a poor job by comparison when it comes to the PR and SG sounds. However almost all of the other sounds were bad. The other guns sound like crap. The queen sounds like crap. I really didn't care for the way the aliens sounded for the most part.

Gearbox didn't just miss the boat. They missed the entire body of water. They missed the entire body of water. If I were a Gearbox developer (or Timegate or whoever else) would not be proud to have my name attached to this project given what the IP is. It feels like Gearbox is trying to follow in the footsteps of Alien: Resurrection, Aliens vs Predator, and Aliens vs Predator: Requiem rather than Aliens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm 

The game is not as bad as made out above, imo. It's nowhere near as good as it could have been, but it's not the total failure some seem to think.
I loved the first Sulaco missions on hard mode. Looking for all the wee touches was great.
At NO point on either of my play throughs have Aliens stood still, scenery-cut, or run past the human AI to get to me (in fact I let O'neal advance and be attacked whilst I sat back and giggled as they bugged him endlessly, as I used the battle rifle to put them down 1 by 1), the human AI actually saved me from a lurker, and they have yet to block my way.
The Crusher mission was fantastic. At half midnight, lights out desperately running away with no guns and welding doors was pretty scary :) even sneaking artound the sewers was eerie. BUT the boss fight in the powerloader was shite. (Give me a damn block button that works well)
Graphics didn't bother me. I'm not bothered if they aren't life-like.
Queen was great, no idea what the problem was with her. Only her demise was meh.
Story was actually not bad, just a little too lost in itself. And the promise of Hicks was ruined by the hurried exit to the FTL. What about the other 50 marines? (Never leave a marine behind...)
Multiplayer is actuallyt pretty adictive, though I find Aliens are far too overpowered. I shred marines like nothing else, but as a marine find my only chance is with the smart gun or tactical shotgun.

I'd give it re-evaluated 7/10 max.

Read it here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm 

Garrowan5th wrote:
The game is not as bad as made out above, imo. It's nowhere near as good as it could have been, but it's not the total failure some seem to think.
I loved the first Sulaco missions on hard mode. Looking for all the wee touches was great.
At NO point on either of my play throughs have Aliens stood still, scenery-cut, or run past the human AI to get to me (in fact I let O'neal advance and be attacked whilst I sat back and giggled as they bugged him endlessly, as I used the battle rifle to put them down 1 by 1), the human AI actually saved me from a lurker, and they have yet to block my way.
The Crusher mission was fantastic. At half midnight, lights out desperately running away with no guns and welding doors was pretty scary :) even sneaking artound the sewers was eerie. BUT the boss fight in the powerloader was shite. (Give me a damn block button that works well)
Graphics didn't bother me. I'm not bothered if they aren't life-like.
Queen was great, no idea what the problem was with her. Only her demise was meh.
Story was actually not bad, just a little too lost in itself. And the promise of Hicks was ruined by the hurried exit to the FTL. What about the other 50 marines? (Never leave a marine behind...)
Multiplayer is actuallyt pretty adictive, though I find Aliens are far too overpowered. I shred marines like nothing else, but as a marine find my only chance is with the smart gun or tactical shotgun.

I'd give it re-evaluated 7/10 max.

I am not making the comments about the AI based on hearsay on the internet though. I have been a victim of it many times in the game.

A few times it was when I am reloading and getting attacked by an alien and my AI buddy is just standing there watching. None of the bosses ever seemed to know the AI squad members were even there.

Aliens frequently ran right through my AI squadmates at me like I was the only person in the room even when the AI was attacking them.

The crusher I barely even did any damage to. My AI squadmates were shooting the crap out of it yet it was following me like a loyal but slow/injured dog.

The queen fight was anti-climactic and her sounds in her cage were not even close to being an attempt at authentic.

In the end I rated it just below the value you assigned to it. Again I don't think it's the worst game ever. I just think it's very worthy of the criticisms I've directed at it given the six+ year development cycle and the company's hyping of the game. Problem is I don't like spending $50 or more on games that are only worthy of a 6.5-7.

Last edited by Alien1099 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

What system/difficulty are you playing on?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 pm 

Spatman wrote:
What system/difficulty are you playing on?

Up to date PC version and the difficulty was just below ultimate badass.

Last edited by Alien1099 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

Before or after the patch?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm 

Spatman wrote:
Before or after the patch?

Both. First quarter before. Rest after.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:58 am 

Dude, wasn't saying you were making itr up - just saying I've personally not experianced it :)

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 am 

So, 2nd playthrough and the ending was even more dissapointing given the potential :( what about the other marines??
O'neal made no sense, I didn't care about Cruz's death and Winter (whom I liked, actually) seemed as emotionaless as Bishop. The pilot, who's plotline I actually enjoyed, stopped just as it started getting interesting.

Did anyone notice Hicks isn't wearing armour in ANY cutscene, but IS in all the gameplay when he's fighting.......erm....derp.....

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
They filmed the cutscenes on his day off and he didn't want to get all geared up the lazy bastard.

And the ending stung, no way around it. Even if a sequel is forthcoming please give me a teeeeeeeny bit of book ending like closure for my effort. Thought I was watching the first Lord of the Rings all of a sudden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:16 pm 

Hey, Fellowship of the Ring may have ended on a cliff hangar, but at least you knew where they were going and what they were trying to do!
This ending felt like they tore the last 3 pages out :(

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Well, we know we're headed for ALIEN 3 and no one wants that. So in that sense I welcome the delay :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next