The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Aliens Colonial Marines GAMEPLAY AND SPOILERS Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:49 pm 

I figured we needed a safe place to start talking about our direct experiences with the campain and game in general. As the title says...BE WARNED THAT ALL SPOILERS ETC WILL BE DISCUSSED HERE. So if you don't want to ruin anything, you may want to go elsewere. :)

I haven't gotten the game yet so someone else will need to start.

Post subject: Re: Aliens Colonial Marines GAMEPLAY AND SPOILERS Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:07 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
BUGZ must be too busy playing it to post about it. :wink:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:22 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
I couldn't believe Ron Perlman from Resurrection was in it!

I am kidding. But good idea for the thread. I'll start by saying the cliffhanger ending left me a bit unfulfilled. I know the coming DLC may address some issues but still....better get a full damn sequel. I needs some more of teh Marines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 am 

So, just completed the game. Well!

Decent controls (very much like CoD), weapons sound just right. Some good banter between characters during main gameplay (your character speaks!!!)

Plot is a bit weak in places, and a little predictable, but over all is not bad. Ending leaves it wide open for another one. But it's also the weakest part of the whole damned story after the death of Bella - a rush to save the infected team mate that is all in vain. Alien Resurrection, AvP 2010, several of the graphic novels......originality please

Also, there is one twist that I think some Aliens fans will wet themselves over (I was delighted.) Hicks turning up was awesome and totally made up for that rubbish at the start of A3 (even if it was a little weakly written and you never found out who....)

Sticks to the core of James Cameron's Aliensverse, has some cool expanded bits in the region of weaponry and stuff.

Lots of bugs to kill! Weyland-Yutani are present in it all, too. (all their fault, the b*stards)

Cool/fun challenges to undergo for xp that is then spent on upgrading your guns in campaign mode. Find some audio-logs for more background info. And discover the legendary weapons held by the heroes of the film and use them yourself! (Hicks shotgun, which I like to keep for close encounters). The achievments and challenges are also often named after film quotes, so lots of easter eggs for us fans. Love that campaign XP carries over to multiplayer, as do weapon upgrades!

There is a level where you have no guns for 2/3rds and are in a state of constant flight from big nasty aliens! Brilliant!

Unhappy by the apparent inconsistancies in multiplayer - if I die when a marine hits me with a grenade in the chest, I expect mine to do the same. Especially as I have upgraded. Aliens feel a little too powerful, so hopefully that'll be addressed (I kick arse as an Alien but suck as a marine...which is odd...)

Overall pleased with it. Decent amount of play time (on hard and without even looking for legendary weapons or dog tags deliberately) I've spent about 15/16 hours playing. And that was just the campaign.

7.5/10

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

I feel the same about the ending. When the credits rolled Ang and I were like...what? No! Cmon! That's why I'm praying for a sequel to wrap this new story up correctly. Figured we'd trounce throuhg the WY ship up to the bridge just to find Weyland gone and some kind of FU video message from him then we'd jack the ship and return plaetside to pick up the rest of our crew and have another and final confrontation with the Queen who probaly survived the fall somehow. But alas no, bam, it just ended.

But...other than that abrupt ending and a few little things I'd have done a bit differently I really enjoyed it.

SP was solid and I think we'll all be playing multi for many moons to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Blimey Willie... Looks like he's doing a T-Rex impersonation!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:17 pm 

http://www.destructoid.com/aliens-colon ... 4698.phtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm 

http://kotaku.com/5983463/aliens-coloni ... aku-review

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I'm.playing 2 games right now. One is ACM. The other is called "every time you die, DRINk!". Its 12:40 and I'm almost bombed...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:48 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

bigbisont wrote:
The other is called "every time you die, DRINk!".

I need to play that when I get home!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 pm 
Alien Queen

*that awkward moment when you realize a post you wrote didn't quite make it and you're too lazy to re-write it*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm 

Am I supposed to take that Kotaku review seriously? He's annoyed by the sound of the guns? Really? You've gotta be kidding...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
so far its fun. a bit confusing to get on line and play co op campaign with friends. i do prefer the movement of the latest AVP for the aliens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:42 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
and a side note, did anyone have any trouble getting the mulitplayer range and sharp sticks expansion to work? mine wouldn't download and when i went to retry it said the code had already been used.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Pepperpete wrote:
Am I supposed to take that Kotaku review seriously? He's annoyed by the sound of the guns? Really? You've gotta be kidding...

Yeah, that right there was an indicator of how, at some point in his past, he was wronged by the ALIEN franchise and this was finally his time to get even. That wasn't a review, it was a poorly written and whiny forum post at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 am 

It was the most ridiculous review I have read in a long time. It didn't seriously critique anything about gameplay or story - it just whined like a bitch. And some of the stuff was ridiculous too!

Not much shooting in Aliens??? Obviously knows nothing.

Not the best game I've ever played, but by no means the worst. And no points of tension later on? Must have missed the mission with no weapons at all..

Btw, I dunno if it's a problem with platforms or whatever, but I've not suffered ANY campaign glitches and the aliens on hard mode NEVER stand still, and flank me frequently. Maybe I got a good copy? ;)

Read it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
I luv it i found Chris and Sean and Angie already in the story. and who has found the Space balls Easter EGG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:16 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhj ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:44 am 

Same. On Ultimate Badass the aliens NEVER stand around. They are deadly as hell. Maybe people should stop playing it on Panzy mode.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 am 

Willie Goldman wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ&feature=player_embedded

Willie seriously don't fall for the bad hype and crap videos. Wait till you play the game yourself and try to play co-op with friends. But make sure to play on Ultimate Badass Mode. I have not experienced ANY of the issues shown in the vid. The Aliens are damn deadly. I've got a ton of buddies also playing and they haven't had these issues either. But again they aren't playing on easy or even hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
I found me yaaay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 am 

The Wife, myself and a college buddy have been playing it on Co-Op (Ultimate Badass) this evening, and its like a totally different game from what the reviews claim. As long time Aliens fans, we are thrilled just to be walking the "hallowed grounds" of the USS Sulaco and LV-426. On Ultimate Badass, its not easy, the Aliens are NOT dumb and all in all, quite viscous. Graphics are more than good, in particular the lighting effects. We are fortunate to have PCs that can run everything maxed out.

Some of the cool stuff we notice, or just stood out was:

The pulse rifle sounds great, but we were not as happy with the reduced magazine capacities and the CoD rip-off upgrades. It was not a deal breaker though, and now that I found Hudson's Pulse Rilfe, I have a more "accurate to me" incarnation of the best gun in the universe. It looks decent, holds 95 rounds, and fires in "short, controlled bursts" ... even with the graffiti and the inaccurate vent holes, LOL! Currently I am rocking the Hudson M41A, Hicks' shotgun and Gorman's pistol and having a ball.

We found Hudson's body, or at least it sure looks like him cocooned to a wall. There was a line of dialogue about it being one of the Marines from the Sulaco. It was not too far from here the Hudson PR is ... so I guess its him! We thought that was really cool, and should be dedicated as a National Monument. :D

I had heard there were forum members "in the game." Where/Who are they? I'd love to check it out closer for a frame of reference.

We love the Motion Tracker implementation and the dynamic it introduces to the game.

There are so many little easter eggs and homages to the film its impossible to recount them right now. We are halfway through, more or less and excited for the last half.

Coming from a hardcore mil-sim in Arma 2 with the ACE Mod, we found we can do quite well against the enemies in A:CM using real squad based tactics. And we were surprised to see the AI respond to them.

All in all, this is a pretty fun game so far. Its great to see so much attention to detail in the scenery, costuming, etc. I know it has its usual game flaws, like cheesy looking weapons, etc - but the classics are there, and still pretty recognizable. For us, its has been worth the money already as its not just a game, but a group experience, and a chance to "live the dream" in a sense. If you are on the fence, have the spare coin - try it out, I think everyone can find something they like.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Willie Goldman wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ&feature=player_embedded

Like that but it was a transfer tube with the Hat and Cane in it. Only Easter egg i found so far.

29022_10151319571033477_194816862_n.jpg
29022_10151319571033477_194816862_n.jpg [ 85.1 KiB | Viewed 10657 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 am 

I started on hard mode, and even then there was no problem with the aliens. And even though the AI was pretty dumb, a couple of times they saved me from lurkers who'd jumped me

Read it here!