The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Calgary Comic Expo - April 24th - 25th!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 pm 
GroundBeef

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.62139E1
Well, my wife and I are getting ready for the show this Saturday (http://www.calgaryexpo.com/special-guests). This is just a few of the actors who will be there:
Leonard Nimoy, Malcolm McDowell, Erin Gray, Aaron Douglas, Tahmoh Penikett, Sid Haig, Brent Spiner, Billy Dee Williams, Tony Todd...
My wife shall be in her classic Science Officer costume to meet her childhood idol Leonard Nimoy. Sadly, I will probably be the only Colonial Marine there. Mike can't make it out this year, but he was gracious enough to lend me his flame thrower and welder, so I can at least be close to screen accurate. There was no way that I could have had my SG costume finished, so I will still be able to go as Drake (just before he got melted by xeno juice! :cry:).
I was also on the radio this morning (96.3 Capital FM), talking about the upcoming show and the costumes we will be wearing. Sadly, they had NO idea what a Colonial Marine was or anything about Aliens, but I still managed to represent! :D
I hopefully will be posting lots of (good) photo's on Sunday from Saturday.

Thanks again to all members who have helped me throughout the years with my costume. You helped me keep my sanity (kinda! :mrgreen: )
I will try and recruit new marines, and with any luck, talk them into joining our merry little band of colonial marines!

Later skaters! Stay frosty and carry a big boom stick! :m41aownage:

Post subject: Re: Calgary Comic Expo - April 24th - 25th!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
You really should announce these things a few months ahead ... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 pm 
GroundBeef

Sorry about that... I did mentioned the show back on March 6th. I didn't think anybody from this forum goes to the Calgary show, besides myself and Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Quote:
Sorry about that... I did mentioned the show back on March 6th. I didn't think anybody from this forum goes to the Calgary show, besides myself and Mike.

Nobody comes out west cause "It's too far" and "Too many red necks" and "I can't drive there in 3 hours", etc, etc
I've even bribed them with shooting my real steel VP70 (not like them goofy airsofts hahahhah)
Maybe what we should whisper in their ears is the road is the same distance in both directions.

Enuff bitchin'
Have a great con Chad!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:59 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Airborne Mike wrote:
Quote:

Nobody comes out west cause "It's too far" and "Too many red necks" and "I can't drive there in 3 hours", etc, etc
I've even bribed them with shooting my real steel VP70 (not like them goofy airsofts hahahhah)
Maybe what we should whisper in their ears is the road is the same distance in both directions.

Enuff bitchin'
Have a great con Chad!

Mike

real VP70?! :shock:

where did you find that? i've never seen one around the gun stores here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:19 pm 
GroundBeef

HA! I got to hold Mike's... VP70! :lol: No, but seriously, awesome animal killer! Mike knows his weapons!
Sorry big guy! I just had to throw in my 2 cents! Ya but, no but...

Vicky.jpg
Vicky.jpg [ 64.14 KiB | Viewed 9865 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 am 
GroundBeef

Okay, first off, our camera sucks ass... I could only salvage SOME of the photo's.

We left Edmonton on the 24th, from our local comic shop (Happy Harbor), who charter's a bus every year too the Expo in Calgary. We were supposed to leave at 6am, but ended leaving after 6:30, due to a late arrival. When we got to the show, there was a line up outside of the hall, about two city block's long, that's not counting the line up inside the complex. My wife wanted a photo with Leonard Nimoy, so we had to line up to buy tickets. The first 4 1/2 hours we spent lined up! 2 hours JUST to buy the ticket, which was $65. Then another 2 hours or so for the photo-op. She loved the photo, but it was just basically stand/kneel next to Leonard who was sitting down (totally understandable), which was basically a snap of a photo and you were quickly whisked away, not even allowing any time to even say hello.

The experience was okay for the most part, but it could have been better. The photo-op tickets and various other events you had to pay for should have been handled a lot better. It was VERY disorganized on the part of the event holders. They had the photo-op line crossing path's with the line of people just trying to get into the building, plus the lines of people on the opposite side of the hall. They had several guest speakers and photo's going on at the same time, and nobody directing traffic. At one point there was six lines of people in a small hallway! They had the table you paid for the events on the opposite side of us, in the middle of all the chaos... Nobody knew where they were supposed to go!

Now, with that all being said, it started to get a lot better after that fiasco. My wife and I got to meet some amazing people! Aside from Mr. Nimoy, I first got to meet my own personal favorite writer/artist Eric Powell, who is responsible for "The Goon", I spent a couple of minutes talking with him and found him to be a very delightful person! (for any Good fans, he told me that David Fincher and Mr. Powell are currently working on an animated movie of the Goon). We then met Tony Todd who was amazing! He was so friendly towards up and took the time to talk to us. My wife and I are HUGE Clive Barker fans, so naturally, meeting the Candyman himself was a real thrill, along with his other great roles! Another friendly and funny man was the one and only Sid Haig! He also spent some time talking to us, and we found him to be very pleasent.
After walking around a bit, and meeting other artist's (one whom I can't remember his name right now) signed a large print of his art called "All Hail the Queen"... Very nice fella!. The day was slowly coming to an end so we just managed to meet two more idols (we were literally the last people they allowed through). The first one was a personal favorite of mine and my wife's was the amazing Malcolm McDowell. For as worn out as he was, he was still very pleasant and accommodating to us. My wife did most of the talking because I was a little star struck at the time! :oops: . He signed a photo and the cover of my Clockwork Orange HD DVD. That may well have been a once in a life time meeting with him for us, which we shall cherish!
The very last actor we met was Lando himself, Billy D!!! They weren't going to let us through, but Mr. Williams assistant gave us the okay and let us have a quick chat with the man himself! You could tell he was completely worn out, but he was very nice and signed a photo for us. A funny thing did happen though. My wife spent the rest of the show walking around with me with her chest burster t-shirt and it totally grossed out Mr. Williams! We all had a good chuckle!

All in all we broke even in the total experience, with the last part of the day being the best. I was the only Colonial Marine there. I was approached a few time for photo's (even by the owner of a company called Psyko 5.1, who makes surround sound headphones, and had my wife and I pose in front of his display for a pic). Surprisingly, not very many people knew who I was dressed as, which kind of bummed me out and made me re-think my costume choice. Mind you, once I'm finished and there are other marines, then it might be better! My wife got approached the most because of her shirt. Everybody knows the chestburster!
I did my best and answered peoples inquiries. I gave info about this site, whether anybody joins, I can't say, but I tried.

Thanks for reading my long winded experience. I'm tired and concentrate anymore. Thanks for reading!
CB

P.S. I apologize if none of this makes sense.

P4240245.JPG
P4240245.JPG [ 315.4 KiB | Viewed 9856 times ]

Tony Todd.JPG
Tony Todd.JPG [ 348.41 KiB | Viewed 9856 times ]

CB SG1.JPG
CB SG1.JPG [ 124.99 KiB | Viewed 9856 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 am 
GroundBeef

Photo's of the autographs we managed to get:

T Todd.JPG
T Todd.JPG [ 355.68 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

Billy D Williams.JPG
Billy D Williams.JPG [ 308.22 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

All Hail the Queen.JPG
All Hail the Queen.JPG [ 318.1 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

The Goon 1.JPG
The Goon 1.JPG [ 179.87 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

The Goon 2.JPG
The Goon 2.JPG [ 183.02 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 am 
GroundBeef

A couple more for you to view. I'm trying to salvage some other photo's, but it looks like I lost the majority of them... Sigh :m41aownage:

P.S. Sid Haig is hilarious!

Sid Haig.JPG
Sid Haig.JPG [ 283.77 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

Pinhead.JPG
Pinhead.JPG [ 322.37 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:33 am 
GroundBeef

AH.... This is sweeet!

My signed HD DVD and a photo with Malcolm McDowell and Rob Zombie. Now all I have to do is get Rob to sign the photo (also a huge fan of Rob Zombie :D )...

CO HD DVD.JPG
CO HD DVD.JPG [ 333.91 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

M McDowell.JPG
M McDowell.JPG [ 290.65 KiB | Viewed 9853 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:22 am 
Lifer

Great pics Chad- I wish I could have made it out there but you know...

Too many damn Red Necks! :wink:

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm 
GroundBeef

:lol: So true, so true. I have NEVER been a fan of Calgary, but hey, sometimes you have to go places you never want to go!

More marines would have been a lot better, but the few that knew what a Colonial Marine was, did make the trip worth while. It was a little disheartening because I have put so much effort into my costume, but the only saving grace was my wife wearing the chestburster shirt (the photo below is from the calgary show back in 2008), and my facehugger that was perched on my shoulder.
It just occurred to me on the way to work this morning, that I totally forgot to get an autograph from a comic legend... :x sigh. I was supposed to take a couple of my favorite "Moon Knight" comics from way back when to get signed by the one and only Bill Sienkiewicz.... I am seriously kicking myself for forgetting that. Hopefully he will come back next year. That all depends on who they get for guests. Next go around, we are definitely driving. I HATE hauling stuff around with us. You have more freedom with just your costume and nothing else.
I have to swallow my pride and make the 3 hour trek. I swore I would NEVER drive that route ever again, but it would make life a lot easier.
Thanks for commenting on my post Kevin, too bad you couldn't have made it.

My wife and I are going to make a serious effort to make it out for the 2011 Dragon*con. It looks like a blast!

Kill the baby!.JPG
Kill the baby!.JPG [ 1010 KiB | Viewed 9828 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 pm 
Duke Bronson

Ha. Mike's smile has great exposure, local, out-of-province and internationally!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am 
Tucker did it

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.72164G1
[I will be sure to show up next time if I can so then you can have another Marine