The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Toronto Comic Con
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

For those UACM that don't know, Wizard World is hosting next years Toronto Comic Con March 26-28.

http://www.wizardworld.com/guests-toronto.html

I'm the Convention Coordinator for the show, and since this is our first foray into hosting a show up North (and in another country, no less), I'd love to hear from you guys and gals as to what you'd like to see, what's missing from cons up there now, what you hate about cons and hope we don't do, etc..

Also, we usually need about 50-100 Volunteers to help us run our shows, and for most shows we're able to pool from previous Volunteers who have worked with us at our shows in that city in the past. For this show we're starting from scratch on that front, so if anyone wants to put in the time and work for the show, that would be awesome. Just check out the Volunteer info on the site, and follow the instructions there:

http://www.wizardworld.com/volunteer-wizard.html

And lastly, if there are any hot shows that are Canadian only, that we Americans might not know about, let me know. And we can try to book some of the actors and actresses from those shows.

Thanks!

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Toronto Comic Con
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 pm 
Duke Bronson

Cripes, you had to do this during the year that I'm abstaining from conventions? :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:46 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
What's the weather like in Toronto in March?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:47 pm 
Lifer

Snowy.

We usually get hit hard one last time from winter around then. There could be piles of snow, and it will probably be around -5 to -10 degrees Celcius (-14 to -23F), so bring your heavy clothes for outside.

We've discovered the secret of fire, so indoors will be warm.

Spat can you get James Cameron? He's Canadian. :) :wink:

I'm pretty sure given the dates that I should be able to make it out to this one- even if only for one day. 8) :delta:

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:33 pm 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Pug50 wrote:
What's the weather like in Toronto in March?

Warm
If I go, I'll be coming from Edmonton where it's usually -20ish but sometimes mother nature surprises us and it goes up to -5.
You will have fun and get to sample our Canadian hospitality.
If you go Gareth, I'll go. Simple enuff?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:36 am 
Duke Bronson

March isn't so bad... January-February is awful however.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:48 pm 
Lifer

Airborne Mike wrote:
If you go Gareth, I'll go. Simple enuff?

If Mike goes, I'll definitely go! :delta:

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:40 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.12147E1
I can't even commit to coming to check it out, my schedule is completely crammed until almost May. Best of luck though :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 am 
Grease Monkey

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.82144E1
Well now that I live in Hamilton it's a frag's throw away so odds are I'll be able to get my rump over there. Too bad the Loader is still in Québec otherwise I might be able to un-mothball it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 pm 
Perfect Organism

Service Number: A96/TQ1.8.34962E2
I can't afford to get to this one :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 pm 
Duke Bronson

Shame... I'd like to see some of our British brothers visit us. If the Queen can call it home here, I'm sure we can scratch you out a comfortable place as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am 
Dresser of Nerds

I just added a Fan Table application form to the Registration page on the website. If the UACM wants to set up a table, fill out the form!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Heya Kev,

Do you know if you're making it to this Drop yet?

If you are, may I ask a small favour of you?

Regards,
Woody.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 am 
Grease Monkey

Spatman wrote:
And lastly, if there are any hot shows that are Canadian only, that we Americans might not know about, let me know. And we can try to book some of the actors and actresses from those shows.

Thanks!

Well the CTV/CBS joint effort titled Flashpoint has had some serious success here and in the States I am told and it has a few "sci-fi" alumni in it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:12 am 
Dresser of Nerds

Less than two weeks to the show!

Anyone planning to go? Can I expect to see some Marines at the show?

Does anyone need a discount ticket?

Let me know!

And remember, this is my first EVER trip to Canada, so any advice on doing it up right in Toronto would be helpful!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 am 
Duke Bronson

Sorry can't make it out to see you... hopefully Scott and Kevin will. Tips for Toronto? Do your drinking early, the city shuts down at 2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:43 am 
Lifer

Still up in the air for me as I'm trying to save funds this year. Might be able to make it out on the Sunday to say hi and have a looksee.

Not too sure what info you're looking for Spat? Nightlife... All the bars are concentrated in the Entertainment District downtown. This is an area between King and Queen Streets (to the South and North), and John St and Spadina Ave (to the East and West).

Last call is indeed at 2am but I'd hardly say the city shuts down; back in my clubbing days (like... 20 years ago) the bars would go to 3-4 or even 5am. :shock:

Problem with all the bars in a few city blocks of each other is that when the party is over and hundreds if not thousands of drunken club goers hit the streets, it is a formula for trouble.

But... with you being from New York, what we might call "trouble" you might call Tuesday. (<--- joke :wink: ).

Driving in Toronto (and more importantly finding parking) has become a royal pain in the ass... But again probably a holiday compared to driving in NY City.

If you have the time, I would at least check out the CN Tower. You'll be able to see your house from it. :wink:

I miss Toronto sometimes, mostly because of the convenience of shopping (some really cool stores downtown and the Silver Snail- big comic book/collectable store)... But when I visit the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Apparently Jewel Staite's asking for the best places to eat in Toronto:

http://twitter.com/JewelStaite/status/10895242123

Quote:
Alright, Toronto: where do I eat while I'm in town? Headed your way for www.wizardworld.com/home-toronto.html this thurs-sun!

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 am 
Dresser of Nerds

I still can't believe that this will be my first time in Canada...

At a convention...

And not one Marine is going to stop by the show.

:(

I'll have to find a way to entertain all the comic artists, comic creators, celebs, models and Playboy Playmates myself somehow.

Woe is me...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 am 
Duke Bronson

Sorry pal... I can't make it! Busy this weekend! :x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:16 pm 
Grease Monkey

A friend of mine invited me to the con as a spur of the moment thing. We quickly slapped together our Hellboy costumes and went over to pay Doug Jones a visit:

The man is a sweetheart, I think the only other movie personality I've ever met who was this genuinely kind to his fans is Peter Mayhew. A marvelous time was had by all, we entered the costume contest on a spur of the moment thing once again and we had a great time, I think the best moment was during the kids category, a mini-Vader went in front of the crowd and all the costumers spontaneously broke into the Imperial March, then the rest of the crowd joined in to make the kid's entrance most epic indeed. Then another kid showed up dressed as senator Kelly but in fact her suit was a tear-away design to reveal Mystique underneath, the costumers around me all agreed that we were in trouble... If a 7 year old can do tear away costuming we will soon be obsolete ;)

It was a very different model than what I am used to for costume contests but the overall experience was quite fun and the best part was we didn't have to wait around for 3 hours or more in a green room.

The turnout for the con seemed reasonable, given this is it's first attempt on Toronto terrain I don't know what kind of numbers you were expecting Spat but judging from your reaction to the costumer turnout we seem to have answered the call and then a little more :)

The fire alarm went off at some point and I found it very ironic that a hall filled with so many super heroes was still forced to evacuate the premises ^_^ I guess spandex and fun foam isn't quite fireproof enough hehehe.

It was nice to see so many familiar faces from the Toronto fandom show up on "neutral ground" let's call it, since there was no clique politics involved at this event everyone was able to mix and mingle without having to worry about taking sides for other upcoming events this year. A very refreshing environment to socialize in I must say.

I hope the event was enough of a success for Spat and his crew to want to return next year

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
Lifer

Well it looks like I was the only one to represent the Corps here...

Showed up on Sunday for a few hours. I had been to this convention once before in 2007. Let's just say Spat knows how to raise the bar! (No pun intended :lol: )

The stars were much more abundant with some "bigger" names. Frankly I don't even remember any of the stars from '07. It was cool seeing some of the old school wrestlers- but man! They are looking worn out! :(

What I was most impressed with was the amount of people who actually recognized who I was! One guy even blurted out, "Hey it's Hicks!" :mrgreen: :delta:

Usually it's one or two who "get it", a few who think GI Joe or SST, and the rest "hey army guy". But this time I would say well over a dozen con goers knew exactly who I was right off the bat!

And there was no shortage of hot chicks. 8)

But unfortuantely I really must overcome my distain for taking pictures- the one above is the only one I had taken. :roll: :lol:

I actually brought my PR, but I left it in the trunk of my car. I wanted to feel out the convention before waltzing in with a very real looking rifle. But after posing for a few pics holding my motion tracker (my first time taking that to a con as well)- I didn't bother going back for the PR.

Anyway it was nice to gear up in my old armour (something I haven't worn since 2006). And HUGE thanks to Spat for inviting me out!

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 pm 
Duke Bronson

One more Toronto drop for the Sarge... well done, men.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

The con was a HUGE success for us. Scott mentioned that you were on the boards, Martin, and I meant to stop and talk to you, just didn't really get the chance.

I notice that you didn't mention that you guys won the Group prize in the Costume Contest!

Congrats!

And yes, as a costumer I run my costume contests VERY differently than most. Our contests are more about the costumes and less about the skit.

Scott showed up and helped out a bit, and Kev came by for a bit.

Next year I will expect a much bigger showing from the UACM!!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you guys had fun!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:49 am 
Grease Monkey

heheh thanks we had our eye on that sweet Silver Snail prize but we wound up in the group category which kind of foiled our cunning plan ;)

I also wanted to stop and say hi but you looked rather busy and then Doug invited us out to dinner so I never got a chance to get back in touch with you.

Hopefully by next year I will have a job and will have brought the Power Loader out of storage from my home province. It certainly wouldn't hurt if you could diggup an Aliens guest ;)

Speaking of guests, if I may suggest some Babylon 5 actors, I would really enjoy having a chance to chat with Jerry Doyle :twisted:

I certainly enjoyed myself thx for coming up here with so many guests, I was sad I couldn't afford to go but my friend was generous to invite me at the last minute and I'm really glad she did :)