The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: THE UACM WORKOUT (This time it's PT!)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 am 
Duke Bronson

OK, first I'll thank SSgt Burton for starting such a thread. Second, I'll thank Uilmuteiz for making my lightbulb shine.

Our goal by then end of the year is 50 push-up, 50 sit-ups and 45 minute jog at 10 km/h.

1st step, upper body strength:
Push-ups
Every morning as you wake do push-ups until you can't push any more! Feet are together and hand are flat on the ground, spaced just outisde of your shoulders' distance. Start in the push-up position, go down... and up until you just can't push anymore. Take a 15 minute break and do it a 2nd and 3rd time. DO THIS EVERY DAY.

Today, I managed to do 3 sets of 5.

Long term- In March, Sebastien and I will be doing circuit training at Parc Maisonneuve, jogging, push-ups, sit ups, jumping-jacks.

By the end of the year, our goal is to kick ass. ANYONE is welcome to join us, or work out in parallel with us and post their progress report here.

DO IT MARINES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 am 
Duke Bronson

Uilmuteiz wrote:
This is gonna be a great distraction from my other problems right now.

And you know what they say about a healthy body, healthy soul follows.

I am glad to report that after trying it out, I managed 10 push-ups on the first go, 10 on the second and another 10 on the last one.
I could probably push the first few sets to more than 10, but I figured it would be pointless, I'd rather be doing 3 x 10 than 15-13 and 7

I blame the back pack for that ^-^

Marianne Solav wrote:
Good idea! I'll do my best. Wish I lived closer and could join you at the Parc.

Philzz wrote:
hmmm ... ok ... i'm a damn smoker ... and i smoke of real addiction and to preserve the health of my ( loved ones, friends, ect... ) cause i turn really aggressive when in need of the crappy nicotine ...
But i did realize that greater physical effort ... can almost stop the damn craving of it ... Push trough the pain they say ... well, Frack this i'm gonna join this with enthusiasm !!! ANd get in shape and maybe quit smoking

Let's start with 10 every 15min. - I can do that already

So my ugly starting report:
Height: 6'1
Weight: 253 Pounds ( i know ... i dont look like 250+ ) its not a joke i really do have big bones ... lol
For now ... can't jog more than a mile before running out of Air

So its me now ... let's see what will it be in a year or so !!

Take care all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 am 
Duke Bronson

Good, I'm happy people are getting inspired. Marie, you don't need to live near us to start doing push-ups and it's much too cold to start jogging outside if you're already not physically fit. So I would wait another 5-6 weeks if I were you. Like I mentioned to Seb yesterday, being out of breath in cold air can cause you some real serious issues. BUT, a nice brisk walk for 30-45 mins can't hurt you at all.

Phil, I know cigarettes can be a real bummer... have you thought of the patch or gum? The real problem with quitting smoking is that you want to HAVE to and you need your will to be stronger than your craving. Essentially, you're fighting yourself. I constantly crave donuts and potato chips; in January 2008, I made a resolution to not eat any... and I haven't yet.

So... OUCH. Last night I managed to do 5x1x0. My arms hurt so much I couldn't push anymore. This morning was even worse! Couldn't do a freakin' push-up. So, I got on my knees and did girlie push-ups. 15x14x14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 am 
Duke Bronson

Philzz wrote:
Well ... this morning it was ouch ... ALOT ... hehe ... i did 10x10x4 and now my arms hurt like hell but i did manage to do 5x5x0 set-ups

I guess, the fact i was training really hard in high school when i was playing football helped a bit ... but still it was 11 years ago.

Neway, we will see what training would do ...

teckwolf wrote:
I could let you copy my Marine corp workout DVD . It help me alot I workout every day I do the workout to the daily 9 on the Video then I Jog for 2 miles on the tread. Then I get into my weights . I was 265 lbs at the beginning of last summer in Nov. I weight at 225lbs. Now I weight around 220 to 225 just cuz I'm now building muscle. It was hard to start a routine but you get use to it in the long run. Dom if you bring your lab top in 2 weeks you can copy my DVD.

Uilmuteiz wrote:
Tihihihi I manage to push myself enough to do the 10x10x10, tonight the last 2 were a little harsh, but I managed them anyway.

My body is starting to feel it to, but it's fine, means I'm doing something and that's cool.

I'm not sure what I'll do in terms of the food situation, I've been thinking about a few things lately, but I have no money to do anything so.

In any case, I managed the 30 push ups in the morning and the evening today and I'm pretty satisfied, so much I even came up with a little exercise to do during commercials in my living room chair.

I think I'll start on the sit ups soon too, just to see if I can start making something out of the flub before summer.

Snake Eyes wrote:
This is great. For what it's worth some of you who saw me this summer in either Toronto or Atlanta noticed (thanks! ) that I already cut a large amount of weight out of my life. I dropped from 270 lbs at ConCept in October 2007 to maintaining 240 in the spring onwards by making simple changes to lead into a more active lifestyle and better food choices. I know full well that everyone here can succeed at this, make reasonable safe choices and stick with it and the results will come I guarantee it!

Just wanted to stop by and offer that up in the rare time I have for a break, hope to read up on progress a little bit down the road

VA2 ECM wrote:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS

5 - 6 - 7 - 8
EVERYBODY GET IT STRAIGHT

In the morning, out for a run
all I need is my M41

Hoorah.

Update Jan31
Pushup 10x10x5
Situp 10x10x1 Ouch!!!!

I'll give it a go.

teckwolf wrote:
Well I did
30 x30 x30 push up
25 x25 x25 sit up
that was great.
Didn't think I could do it.
In my work out everyday I do push up and situp but not in set like this. It feels good.
For those that started keep it up. It make you feel good.
If you need help this book help me. You don't need machine or weight to do it.
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/United-States-Marine-Corps-Workout-Andrew-Flach-Peter-Field-Peck/9781578261581-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527Marine+corp+workout%2527

Uilmuteiz wrote:
pfff show off. we'll get there too.

On the plus side, if you can pull that off, it's a great incentive to have us work out even more ^-^

teckwolf wrote:
Here a you tube way of do a crunch "aka situp"
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6bVf1QAKo
In the marine corp vid. they do the same.
Read this to help you do your situps
http://www.body-fizzeek.co.uk/sit-ups%20the%20right%20way.htm

Philzz wrote:
THis morning i did 10x10x6 but '' SURPRISE '' my boss was waiting for me this morning with deliverring 55 boxes of paper on the second flour
Damn ... i want to cry right now ... it hurts ... more like i ripped something in my right bicep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 am 
Duke Bronson

I don't know what the hell is going on... This morning 7x5x4. I think I may have a lack of strenght in my arms, so I went to CanTire this morning and bought a 30lbs dumbell. $53. Time to pump the GUNS!

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
OK, so I did three sets of 10 biceps curls and three set of 20 wrist curls 30lbs... with this, pushed for 7x5x5.

This morning, my chest and arms were on fire, so I'm taking a break until tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 am 
Duke Bronson

OptimusSuperPrime wrote:
faites comme moi au pire... pogné une bonne grippe , toussez comme des malades pour faire des bons abdos

Uilmuteiz wrote:
Lol je tousse depuis le 12 janvier et ça m'as pas donner un ventre plus plats. par contre je commence à sentir les muscles dans mes pecs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 am 
Duke Bronson

Well, I haven't reported anything in a while because I'm seriously injured. I haven't been able to stretch out my arms in two days. Once I pass this, I will continue to give progress reports.

Philzz wrote:
I tough you were in shape Dom ... well , in better shape than me .. hehe !!! ( kidding )

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
Looks can be deceiving.

VA2 ECM wrote:
10,11,10 this morning
and
10,12,10 crunchies this morning
finally some progress.

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
Nice shot Ernst!

My left arm is back to normal again, my right arm feels like my left one did yesterday... so I'll be back on track soon.

Uilmuteiz wrote:
The ten sets became a little more easier. I have to admit I didn't concentrate on the habs this week with my going back to work and all, but as Sharp said, looks can be deceiving and my habs are in fairly good shape under all the flab.

It'll be fun to push along side others this week-end and see if I've been doing things right.

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
It's "abs" not "habs"... "abdominals".

BTW, you'll have to reposition your body when you do your push-ups. Your entire body should be flat as a board from head to toe... when you stick your butt out, you're sort of cheating and it makes them easier.

Ok, so back on track last night, did my weights... not so much pain today... plus pushed 7x5x2.

VA2 ECM wrote:
Well,
this morning was a little rough

10,15,15 pushup and then only one set of 10 situps. just couldn't do anymore.
Oh well, il ya toujours demain.

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
I've put the pushups on the back burner for a few days, but still doing my weights. My biceps are really starting to bulk fast, great results.

Uilmuteiz wrote:
12 x 12 x 12 push ups for tonight.
I'm happy that I've finally took care of some business, I've managed to get some extra bad energy to burn.
Now that bad energy is all gone ^-^
I'm starting the sit ups tomorrow.

Philzz wrote:
Ok ... this morning was kinda tough, i barely was able to do 10x8x5 i guess i nee to train those biceps and triceps
If i wasnt so heavy from the upper torso it would be easier cause under the phat there is Big bones ... lol ... no seriously !!! I'm strong enough to bench 250 pounds 5 times in a row, i guess the cardio is for something too.

Hope to see improvement soon ...

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
Still doing mod push-ups last set was 18-16-15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 pm 
Duke Bronson

I'm doing two types of pushups, regular and mod. Last night: 8x7x15(m)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:37 am 

Service Number: A04/TQ2.0.62139E1
12*12*12 and 20*20*20 sit ups

but i still hate PT
and don't tell me about Pain being fear leaving the body 'cause I ain't been afraid in awhile.

Home is where you dig it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 am 
Duke Bronson

With Frank recommendation, I started a new weight routine today which should increase my shoulder muscle... I'll keep pushing.

Tomorrow: TREADMILL! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm 
Duke Bronson

Another tip to maximize your pushups: Start with regular pushups until you can't push anymore... switch to mod pushups (on your knees) and keep pushing!

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.92144E
Keep it up Marines "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 am 
Duke Bronson

OK, so last night I'm pushing and lifting like a freakin' lunatic... and I hurt myself again. Maybe I'm over-doing it? Who knows? I'll take the night off and start again tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:58 am 
Lucky Number 13

Careful with those pushups !
I got up to doing two sets of 75 and one of 50.
Two hundred, I thought I was doing great...until I f'd up my wrist.
Now I can do about thirty.
Go slow and steady.
The thirty I do on my knuckles ;)
Right now I am hitting the rowing machine everyday, giving myself Sundays off.
My goal is to drop 30 pounds before Dcon.
Lets see what happens.
Good luck everyone with whatever workout stuff you are doing.

A10/TQ2.0.42142E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 am 
Lifer

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
OK, so last night I'm pushing and lifting like a freakin' lunatic... and I hurt myself again.

Dom what kind of pain is this? Shooting/sharp pain while actually exercising, or soreness the next day? Is it in your muscles? Your joints?

If it's just soreness, that will go away with time. Anything else (especially during an exercise movement) should be considered much more serious. It goes without saying that if you feel a sharp pain that feels totally wrong you should stop what you're doing and get it checked out.

There is also what is called repetative stress injury- basically a burning pain that occurs when we continually over-exert a muscle. I've had this myself on a couple of occassions. Generally your muscles have not recovered from the previous workout, and you are hammering them again- so instead of growing, they are breaking down. It's commonly called over-training.

If you ("you" meaning anyone and not just you Dom :wink: ) find yourself constantly in pain, fatigued, and/or your strength is going in reverse, you are most likely over-training. If you don't get more rest between workouts, more sleep, or more quality food, you could seriously injure yourself (meaning anything from a simple sprain to a full blown muscle tear).

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:48 am 
Duke Bronson

Yeah, I think the over-training description if hitting the nail. I took the night off and will try again tomorrow night and see how I feel. I don't feel any sharp pains, but strangely... when I wash my hands, I feel a little tightness in the area between my chest and arm pits. Anyone ever get this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:35 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Pain is God's way of telling you're alive. :mrgreen:
Great thread, Dom!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 am 
Duke Bronson

That may be so... but I'm currently off for the week with a lumbar sprain... :roll: Still doing my curls though... I'll have Kevin's arms in no time! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:42 pm 
Grease Monkey

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.82144E1
There are three distinct types of pain:

1. Superficial somatic pain (or cutaneous pain) is caused by injury to the skin or superficial tissues. Cutaneous nociceptors terminate just below the skin, and due to the high concentration of nerve endings, produce a sharp, well-defined, localized pain of short duration. Examples of injuries that produce cutaneous pain include minor wounds, and minor (first degree) burns.

2. Deep somatic pain originates from ligaments, tendons, bones, blood vessels, fasciae, and muscles. It is detected with somatic nociceptors. The scarcity of pain receptors in these areas produces a dull, aching, poorly-localized pain of longer duration than cutaneous pain; examples include sprains, broken bones, and myofascial pain.

3. Visceral pain originates from body's viscera, or organs. Visceral nociceptors are located within body organs and internal cavities. The even greater scarcity of nociceptors in these areas produces pain that is usually more aching or cramping and of a longer duration than somatic pain. Visceral pain may be well-localized, but often it is extremely difficult to localize, and several injuries to visceral tissue exhibit "referred" pain, where the sensation is localized to an area completely unrelated to the site of injury.

Come to think of it there is a fourth type of pain and that is the one Sarge is gonna put me through for being a smart ass ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:50 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ1.0.92153E1
I don't have much to say about my training. I do a few sit ups everyday, it helps me with my back because if I don't exercise, it gets bad, it blocks and I have muscle spasms. :(
I started taking dance classes in January, 3-6 hours a week, so that's good for cardio.
I will try to get up early in the morning when the weather is better to run or try to join you and Seb when you start jogging ;)

This is just an idea I had, but it would be nice to go hiking or something as a group. Mont-Tremblant or wherever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 am 
Duke Bronson

Happy to hear you've been working MC... I for one have been suffering from real back problems since Friday... and to make matters worse, I think I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand... It just keeps getting better! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:02 am 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

Quote:
I think I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand... It just keeps getting better!

I've had that for about a year now, in my left hand, too. It comes and goes. I have it as I read your post, *laughs!*

I read taking Zinc can compound it which seems to be true. (I take ZMA which helps me sleep).
So cutting down on that mineral if you supp with it may help because I came off it for a while and symptoms aleviated.

Resistance training won't help either but, pro's and con's, right?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:51 pm 
Lucky Number 13

I'm two weeks into the rowing machine now.
Thirty minutes every day.
I think for me, right now, I would rather work on loosing a few pounds, then build up later.
Not sure what your work out involves right now Dom, but maybe you should slo things down a bit.
A while ago I started doing a little lifting with my arms, all I bought were 2 ten pound weights.
No point in killing myself, and if I give up on them, they are easy to store away !

A10/TQ2.0.42142E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:02 pm 
Lucky Number 13

A question for anyone who knows.

I am going to the rec center every day Mon -Fri.
30 mins on the rowing machine, taking the weekends off.
Someone told me that I may not be getting the full benefit of the exercise by taking weekends off.
Is there any truth to this ?
I want the exercise, but I also want to be able to keep doing it and not wear myself out.
Any thoughts ?

A10/TQ2.0.42142E1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:55 pm 
Lifer

So by not working out 2 out of 7 days...

All of what you will be doing will be useless?

Nonsense.

If anything the two days off will allow your body to recover.

Recovery is actually more important than the exercise itself.

Just don't eat/drink whatever or how much ever you want on those days off. :wink:

When I was overweight and trying to lose it (before I started bodybuilding) all I did was go jogging once a week on Sundays. Took me a year to lose the weight. If I had gone jogging every day I probably would have lost the weight a lot faster, but I did lose the weight eventually.

I think it's ridiculous to workout 7 days a week- you'll eventually either burn yourself out, or lose interest. The only time I worked out 7 days a week was when I competed- and that was only for a period of three months. Otherwise my average was 5 days a week back then.

Of course everyone is different- you have to find out what works best for YOU. 5 days a week might not have been enough for the guy who said this to you Scott, which is why he works out 7 days.

If you feel good, you are acheiving the results you want, and are inspired to keep working out, just keep doing what you are doing. :)

Kevin