The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Edmonton Expo | September 28-29, 2013 | My First Convention!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Hey!!

Just checking to see if anyone is going to this years Edmonton Expo?

They've just started announcing guests, so far it's just Christopher Lloyd and the DeLorean, but every Tuesday they will be announcing more.

http://edmontonexpo.com/

Tickets go on sale on June 22nd through Ticketmaster, starting at 10AM.

As far as I know, we are going to this :)

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Last edited by Moosh89 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Today they announced Ron Perlman, so there is an ALIEN connection if you appreciate Alien Resurrection, like I do! :)

Still nobody going to this?

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re: Edmonton Expo | September 28-29, 2013
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm 
Duke Bronson

You're in an lonely outpost.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:21 pm 
GroundBeef

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.62139E1
My wife and I might go this year. Last years show was... okay, for the most part.
Edmonton is horrible for con's, not a lot of imagination in this city. The Calgary show is a lot better, but it has it's drawbacks.
One would think that being the richest province in Canada, we would have Comic-Con here, but there ya go! Suck's being stuck in the middle of redneck central!

If I go, it probably won't be in costume. I'm still working on the damn thing!

Thanks for the posting Moosh! :delta:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 am 
Mobile Mayhem

MSgt Baldwin wrote:
You're in an lonely outpost.

I kind of figured that!

Xeno_Stomper wrote:
My wife and I might go this year. Last years show was... okay, for the most part.
Edmonton is horrible for con's, not a lot of imagination in this city. The Calgary show is a lot better, but it has it's drawbacks.
One would think that being the richest province in Canada, we would have Comic-Con here, but there ya go! Suck's being stuck in the middle of redneck central!

If I go, it probably won't be in costume. I'm still working on the damn thing!

Thanks for the posting Moosh! :delta:

It would be cool if you did go!

I figure we will be the only ones dressed from any of the Alien movies, and I think my Moms Ripley costume is no doubt going to be the most recognizable out of the two of us. I have told her some people may want to get their pictures taken with her haha. I'm taking my plushie facehugger with me to ride on the back of my chair, creeping up over my shoulder to draw the rest of a connection.

If we get asked any questions, what is the best way of mentioning Aliens Legacy? This is my first convention of any kind, and I tend to be quite shy at first (working on being more outgoing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:01 am 
Hellooo Nurse!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.02153E1
Less than a week away from the Edmonton Expo, hopefully My C class doesnt fall apart on me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Yes, getting nervous and excited!!

Leaving on Thursday :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:19 am 
Duke Bronson

Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:59 am 
Mobile Mayhem

After Action Report for Edmonton Expo 2013!

We left here on Thursday, which was a good thing. We had lots of time to settle in and find our way around!

Friday we wandered around the West Edmonton Mall for a few hours

Saturday morning, my brother Jon forgot to wake us up at 7:30AM to get ready, so we had to scramble to get our costumes on and walk down to the Expo centre from our hotel. In the commotion, Ripley forgot Jonesy, and I forgot Felix the Facehugger!

We got to the convention, Me and Mom were in our "Alien" costumes, and almost immediately, a gentleman and lady tapped Ripley on the shoulder and admired her outfit, here it was the media people covering the Expo! I managed to hand them an Aliens Legacy card each before they moved on!

Throughout the day, people would pass by and say "Hey! It's Ripley!", or rubber-neck as they passed haha. One lady couldn't get over Moms strong facial resemblance to Sigourney Weaver. More people had to stop and confirm their thoughts that she was cosplaying Ripley from "Alien". I don't think Mom was quite used to that much attention! I was beaming with pride the whole time, it was a blast!

Everyone that inquired got an AL card.

We started to go for autographs for some of the guests a few hours into the day after we settled into the hustle and bustle of the busy centre. Mom wanted to meet Christopher Lloyd, so we did that first. Then I wanted to meet Ron Perlman. I was pretty nervous but he was very genuine, kind and oddly gentle for his size! The man is HUGE! Maybe not in height, but his hands! My gosh!

Next I wanted to meet Sarah Wayne Callies, so we went over to her booth to see her. She is also very kind and down to earth!

We also met up briefly with Becky (Ebob) and I managed to squeak out a brief few sentences! haha. I tried to emphasize how shy I am in person with people, especially in crowded and large busy places!

Then came time for the Costume Contest, but it turned out they were looking only for people who actually HAND MADE 80% or more of their costumes, so unfortunately Moms costume didn't qualify, even though we worked hard on it and she practiced and practiced Ripley's Final Report. They should have really specified that in the rules. I guess they had to turn away a lot of entrants. As soon as we found out, all three of us (me, Mom and my brother Jon) were beat, so we called it a day and headed back to the room for some Swiss Chalet delivery!

Day 2, I was going solo in the costume department. Ripley's back was killing her from wearing the flightsuit all day the day before haha! I wore my Service C uniform, and I remembered to get Felix the Facehugger securely attached to the back of my chair, creeping up over my shoulder to help draw the "ALIENS" connection, so people didn't pass me off as some sort of "G.I. Jane" or something haha.

I was actually surprised at the amount of people that stopped me and asked about my costume, the Facehugger, or even recognized my outfit as being ALIENS inspired. Again, everyone that did got an AL card :)

We met up with a friend from a different Aliens forum who decided last minute to come, and lo and behold, we found Becky again! and we actually got a proper visit!

She told us that there was a person walking around with a smartgun rig before we parted ways after an hour or two chatting. So Me, Mom and our friend Kody searched the area where the smartgunner was last seen. It was looking gloomy for finding him so Kody decided to branch out for a larger search, when suddenly a gentleman approached me and pointed out my costume as being from Aliens, when we said "YES! We heard there was a gentleman with a smartgun around here!" when he replied "That's me!! I had to take it off to take a break! it was getting really heavy!"

We briefly chatted about the smartgun, and he mentioned he was a steadicam operator by trade, and talked about a production he does with video game voice actor Mark Meer. I didn't catch this mans name, but I quickly gave him an AL card, and he noted that he was a member here some time ago. I hope he will pop back in! If you are reading this, it was fantastic to meet you sir!

He then left just as Kody came back, bummed out that he couldn't find this myserious smartgunner. We laughed, telling him the mystery was solved just as he came back!

Kody then parted ways with us to go to a panel he was waiting for, so we rendezvoused with Jon to go meet Chad Coleman. Jon and I got a great chat in with Chad, and we each got his autograph, then we headed back to the hotel :)

Our first convention was a success! Fun was had by all, and we met some fantastic people. No doubt we will be looking forward to the next convention in our area!!

Pictures to follow probably tomorrow!

Thanks for reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That's all awesome Moosh, except for the "fine print" on the costume contest rules.
I really hope to meet Ron Perlman some day, he's been a hero of mine since I was a kid watching Quest for Fire and Beauty and the Beast. Coot that you had the chance!

Post subject: Re: Edmonton Expo | September 28-29, 2013 | My First Convent
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

Sounds like you had a lot of fun M :D

Glad it all worked out.

....and you know what they say about men with big hands .........they have big gloves.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:44 pm 
GroundBeef

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.62139E1
Moosh89 wrote:
After Action Report for Edmonton Expo 2013!

She told us that there was a person walking around with a smartgun rig before we parted ways after an hour or two chatting. So Me, Mom and our friend Kody searched the area where the smartgunner was last seen. It was looking gloomy for finding him so Kody decided to branch out for a larger search, when suddenly a gentleman approached me and pointed out my costume as being from Aliens, when we said "YES! We heard there was a gentleman with a smartgun around here!" when he replied "That's me!! I had to take it off to take a break! it was getting really heavy!"

We briefly chatted about the smartgun, and he mentioned he was a steadicam operator by trade, and talked about a production he does with video game voice actor Mark Meer. I didn't catch this mans name, but I quickly gave him an AL card, and he noted that he was a member here some time ago. I hope he will pop back in! If you are reading this, it was fantastic to meet you sir!

He then left just as Kody came back, bummed out that he couldn't find this myserious smartgunner. We laughed, telling him the mystery was solved just as he came back!

Sounds like you had fun Moosh! My wife and I wanted to go, but we had a large garbage bin ordered for that day, and spent the weekend trashing decades worth of crap from our lives.
The gentleman with the SG rig is a fella I know named Brett Manyluk (https://www.facebook.com/brett.manyluk?fref=ts & http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0544358/). He is a larger than life dude, salt of the earth!
If you ever watched the Canadian movie "Passchendaele ", he is the soldier that breaks a chickens neck for good eatin'!
I wish I could have made the show, and meet up with fellow Alien heads! The interesting thing about Edmonton is that we have some nice folks here... which isn't bad for a redneck city.
I hope you can all make it out for next year's show. I should have my costume completed by then (I am on year 7 now with my costume!). It would be great to meet you in person, and walk the perimeter in AL glory! :delta:
Thanks for posting your adventures! Sounded like you and your family had fun!
Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Hah! Cool!

Thanks! I've sent him a friend request to keep up with his projects, he seemed like a very nice person!

We will be keeping an eye on info for next year, it would be fantastic to meet you!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 pm 
Duke Bronson

Excellent work, Marine. I look forward to your photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:23 pm 
Synthetic Humanoid

Were there ever any pics?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:40 am 

Yeah Melissa's mother took a ton of pictures, I dunno why she's holding on you guys!

But I got one;

This man could be in an Alien' movie, hopefully a villain in 5 if it ever comes haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:35 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Hahaha, you know what?? I posted them on Facebook and totally forgot to here! Will amend that shortly! haha

*edit*

Pics!

http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Moosh8 ... xpo%202013